How'd it go today?

Ha you old 'whistle punk' you.8)

Hey now... I resemble that remark!:lol:

Nice vid Leon...

Well I got out and murdered a 150 foot, 35" dbh Doug Fir today. First time I had felled a tree in about 2 months. Bucked it into rounds and left it at the residence for the guy to split. I helped him move the rounds to his backyard then cleaned up my mess. Guy was very pleased with my work... he asked for a couple extra business cards to give to his friends... maybe I'll have a little side work comin' in again.

Got 200 bucks for my work... Cha-ching!:thumbup: :pimp:

Gary

Actually, I was referring to Gary's tree job.

I worked three short days this week. My foot is kinda sore, but the worst is how weak I've become. My legs are sapped for strength. It seems like laying in bed for three months really took it outta them.

Thanks Butch...:) It was nice to get some chips flyin' again. My MS361 is runnin' like crap for some reason. I guess I need to take a look at it. I used my 044 for the entire job today.

Those leg muscles of yours will remember soon enough. Just like fallin' off a log.

Gary

I didi a weird double fell of a Cottonwwod and an Elm that were grown together. Ands I have spent the day Watching the Utah countryside-it seems to be blowing over the Rockies headed for Kansas. Yuck- I even have some of it in my eyes.

Slayed one silver maple, fixing to ix'nay a birch, then another silver maple and it's off to lunch :) Then on to grinding stumps.

Hanging flyers and cards half a day I noticed this and took a pic a topped Hemlock that looks great. Ive found conifers dont repsond well to topping are hemlocks the exception to the rule.One of the last of its kind sence the WHA.

It don't look so bad..

I had a great day,I earned a very nice crust today,for a change,and picked up a huge poplar to td...

We should have something for you soon Steve,this poplar is a 2 man and a tractor job i'm affraid..

went well gave my notes fired my pos ground boy hired new guy and did some offroad with the bucket truck oh yeah I got some asolos for $69.99
it was a good day

Today I worked with newly hired groundy. Had a fairly easy day for the break in. All in all Im happy with him so far. Hes middle aged, and WANTS to work and actually has and uses a brain. He was the first groundworker in a long time that I did not have to show how to rake. He knew when to rake and when not to rake, he knew how to rake but most importantly he knew which direction to rake to. He can drive a truck and even back a trailer. He showed up early this morning was dressed appropriatly for work, and even brought his lunch and plenty of liquids to keep himself hydrated.
Its been so long since Ive worked with someone that actually has drive and commitment and willingness to learn new things.
Now I only hope I can keep the work volume up to keep him around. He wants a few bucks more than what I was originally planning to pay for the position, but he is showing me quickly that he is worth it.
Tomorrow we have a big pruning job thats a bit more entailed, he'll get the chance to run a porty and maybe even the mini. That is of course if we dont get slammed with the destructive storms everyone says are coming tonight.

Congrats on your new hire, John. It's a rare treat to find a new employee that actually wants to help make you profitable and thinks farther ahead than the limb he's dragging to the chipper. Good luck with him and I hope he works out well for you. :thumbup:

went well gave my notes fired my pos ground boy hired new guy and did some offroad with the bucket truck oh yeah I got some asolos for $69.99
it was a good day

C'mon Scott, you can't just drop little bombs like that without an explanation. Details, we want details!!! :blob6:

The boots were at a tent sale.
The off road was not to far off the road.
The new guy, was a guy that worked with me last year.
My p.o.s. ground boy couldnt make it to work because he does not manage his $ and can't aford gas, plus when ever we have some storm work (which is over time)he gets pissed and wants to go home. The the last time he said "f this "and left.this is after I told the power co.that we had 3 crews. luckley we only had to stand by. Hes so slow and cant remember to put out the hook pole weel chocks or cones. If I was slumped over in the bucket he would think it was break time. He should have been fired when he skipped out on 2 storm 1 was in his town. His excuse was he had no power and could not call, knowing I'm the first tree crew the power co. calls
sorry guys that was bad real bad

Last edited:
and how many reindeer?

John, I have a smart ground guy too. I worry about losing him when things get slow or from lack of stimulation. I've been having my guy climb some armed with a handsaw and a pole pruner. No chainsaw in tree for him yet.

Today was my first money making tree day in a week or so. Things seem to be picking up a bit. We did three small jobs today and everything went well. I got a call for a bid(my second in a weeks time). When I showed up another tree service was just pulling up to give a bid. He's a fellow I've met before and he seems pretty cool. He said hello to me and then walked a bee line to my chipper. He wants to see it on a job sometime. We walked the customers job together, went to our separate trucks and wrote up our bids. He asked what mine was and I showed him. It was identical to his, down to the dollar. He tore up his and told the client I was a good tree guy and they should use me. I like this guy.

You are looking (rhetorically) at the new Den Leader for Tiger Scouts Den 4. Had our first meeting tonight - should be a blast.

Back