How'd it go today?

went to our separate trucks and wrote up our bids. He asked what mine was and I showed him. It was identical to his, down to the dollar.

I dont think it is ethical for your business, your potential client, or for the other bidder to show him your quote.

I wasn't going to change mine and he wasn't going to change his. I don't compete with my bids. It is what it is.

I don't see a problem with it.

Today's birch was actually a cherry, it and the second silver maple went well. At the start of the cherry job I managed to drop both of the ramps (they were stacked on top of each other) onto my right foot. This was a blessing in disguse as the swelling and pain annoyance took my mind off the 96* wet (humid) heat.

We got done around 4:30, so I went down to the gun shop and hung out for a couple hours, then went to grind stumps. All in all it was a decent day, made money but not a killer ammount.

DSC04016.jpg

thats gonna leave a mark!! good luck walking on that bugger tomorrow.

it was a scorcher today in sc as well. got done early, off to the lake for a dip in the heated lake. not much temperature difference.

I got my chipper together today. Almost $1000 in parts. It always had a rumble in it when it was idling with the clutch engaged. Not anymore! Totally quiet.

I dont think it is ethical for your business, your potential client, or for the other bidder to show him your quote.

i do this often after weve both turned in our bids. market comparison, i think its good. its not ethical to compare bids before and then change them. .02
i bid 25 bucks higher than a friend the other day and got the job with out meeting the folks. interesting info IMO

I love to get a market comparison. I went to a bid opening yesterday for a capital expenditure - drove 5 hrs there and 5 hrs back just to hear the competition's number. We won it (low bid) by 1k on a 40K item.

The guy in charge of purchasing said that last week they took bids on a construction project. One company missed the $300K project by $1.50.

Most FS contracts are awarded on "best value" basis rather than lowest bid. This allows me to recommend that the Contracting Officer reject a bid that comes from a co. that has a rep for lower quality work, or a bid that in my opinion is too low for the contractor to profitably perform to the specifications. I like this award basis pretty well, 'cause I dislike starting admin on contract being pretty sure I will have trouble. There are no guarantees, but this helps.

The Space Shuttle Atlantis just launched a few minutes ago. Here's a couple bad pictures I got of the Shuttle lifting off out of my back yard and flying over my house. ;)

Actually I'm about 45 miles away from KSC.

Waycool! I'd love to see it launch up close! How many times have you been to a launch, Brian?

Actually I've never gone over to see one up close. Too much traffic, no place to park and better views on tv. I don't go to ball games either.

About 20 years ago I was coming home one day and saw the contrail from a shuttle launch. I stopped to watch and it split into two contrails and then went down. Went inside and turned on the tv to confirm what I already knew, the Challenger had exploded. :(

Since then I haven't much wanted to get any closer for a launch.

No John, can't hear it from here.

I spiked a dead tree today 35'-40' poplar took me longer to put my gear on and off then to get it on the ground, limb top and drop, took the spar in two sections done deal no clean-up 2 bills.

Actually I've never gone over to see one up close. Too much traffic, no place to park and better views on tv. I don't go to ball games either.

About 20 years ago I was coming home one day and saw the contrail from a shuttle launch. I stopped to watch and it split into two contrails and then went down. Went inside and turned on the tv to confirm what I already knew, the Challenger had exploded. :(

Since then I haven't much wanted to get any closer for a launch.

No John, can't hear it from here.

I was one week old the day it happened. :(

I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be. :D

Pretty good actually. I took down a fruitless mulberry in a back yard for $900, did two palm trees no cleanup for 100, left my guy pruning a bunch of almond trees and he did about 1/2 of a $750 job. Tomorrow I'm grinding the stump from the fruitless mulberry then I'm taking my family to the Oakland A's game for Father's day.

I will be flying in to Oakland tomorrow. I won't linger though. Oakland is a bit rough and tumble.

I will be flying in to Oakland tomorrow. I won't linger though. Oakland is a bit rough and tumble.

I drive to the BART station in Pleasanton and take the train to the Coliseum. You don't want to be driving at night in Oakland. Plus if you drive all the way there you have to pay to park and it can take up to a hour to get out of the parking lot after the game.

Back