How'd it go today?

Funny thing was.....
They took no offence to a pole saw cut on the tip of a hanging limb from the lead they are in. We brushed the creek bank and nothing. Strapped the trunk, nothing. Cut a low limb while I was making my way up, nothing. But boy howdy, when you cut the lead opposite them and the whole tree shakes to the root crown 🤪

Sometimes they seem to pretend to be cool and just kinda hang out like that, it's weird. Before i got married and had kids i had cleaned up the sailboat (which was often a wasp subdivision since i park it in the back 40) and took it out on the river with about 10 people. We were all partying on it, went for a sail, and eventually went downtown to tie up and watch a concert they had at the riverfront. It was around then that someone noticed there was a nest about the size of a baseball covered with them that i had missed, they had been all over with us that day and no one saw them at all, including me when i killed and removed all the others. No one was stung or even harrassed, they simply just hung out all day and went boating with us. I flipped out since i had just learned that i was allergic, but one of the other guys just calmly reached up and very gently grabbed the nest with a paper towel and tossed them overboard, and they all calmly floated down the river on the nest lol. Never once bothered anyone, even after he did that to the nest. Why they can't all be cool like that I'll never know, it was crazy how calm they were, and the nest was right by the companionway, so everyone almost touched it coming in and out all day long. Wasps on a boat really suck since there's no where to go too, that could have been really bad, but they were super chill and never bothered us once all day.

Day started rough, but ended up being /not bad/. I just wasn't in the mood for this crap today. It was a good bit cooler, cloudy(yay!), but humid and wet as hell. Staked more LOD, and I got to use my brushcutter and 2511 a bit. Stuff I found...

Hawk feather and deer skull. They were within 50' of each other...

IMG_20240718_163403311.jpg

Turtle!

IMG_20240718_145838007.jpg

I moved him a couple hundred feet to a different section of woods, cause the one he was in will be getting *very* unpleasant for him. Hope he stays where I put him, but probably not.

A wet ass boot...

IMG_20240718_153603464.jpg

My repair is holding up pretty well. The ShoeGoo skim coat I put on top has peeled off, but the patch is still well sealed. I'm happy with it

Day started rough, but ended up being /not bad/. I just wasn't in the mood for this crap today. It was a good bit cooler, cloudy(yay!), but humid and wet as hell. Staked more LOD, and I got to use my brushcutter and 2511 a bit. Stuff I found...

Hawk feather and deer skull. They were within 50' of each other...

View attachment 140077

Turtle!

View attachment 140078

I moved him a couple hundred feet to a different section of woods, cause the one he was in will be getting *very* unpleasant for him. Hope he stays where I put him, but probably not.

A wet ass boot...

View attachment 140079

My repair is holding up pretty well. The ShoeGoo skim coat I put on top has peeled off, but the patch is still well sealed. I'm happy with it
I have used a product called Sonolastic NP1. The name has changed but a google search will get you the right stuff. It’s a polyester caulk that is amazing. Stays flexible regardless of temp unless it really cold like dry ice cold. Sticks to everything.

I took apart my baby chipper to replace the main bearings and other things. They are worn out and the rotor is touching the side plates of the cutting chamber. Press fit and rust on the shaft make a good workout to remove the bearings. One done, but I feared to break the puller. It turns out that there is more play between the bearing and its cast iron mount than inside the bearing itself. I didn't expect that and I have only the replacement bearings. Well, third order for parts in a few days. I didn't do good in optimizing the shipping costs this time.

More LOD today. It was fairly pleasant. Humid where I was cause it's in a creek valley with wetlands, but cool for a MD July. Also shaded, cause I'm in the woods. Nothing interesting to take pics of, but I got to cut some trees with my 2511. I wanted to bring a chunk of ironwood home with me, but I was whooped, and didn't feel like carrying it out of the woods. Lots of stuff to stumble on out there. Tons of rocks and fallen trees/parts, and I'm packed full of supplies to get everything set.

I love that 2511. I just carried it instead of hooking it to my belt, cause I was already weighted down with stuff. Easy-peasy. It's so compact and light, it's almost like carrying nothing.

edit:
Forgot, Yesterday I won a 6pack of Hany's Harvest products cause I completed an online survey for them. I buy their Carolina Reaper fire cider. They asked what I wanted, and I told them to pick, and mentioned I already buy the fire cider, so they're sending me 4 bottles of reaper cider, a bottle of dandelion earth cider, and a bottle of hibiscus/ginger oxymel. I'm kinda interested in what the non fire ciders taste like, but the stuff's expensive, so I didn't want to gamble on them. This'll give me a free way to try them out.

Last edited:
My move is going exceptionally! It's mostly great to see my parents regularly again! We had filets yesterday, that I grilled! It was great!

I scored a lead loss at Mattress Firm! A $1699 memory foam queen mattress for only $599 with a free stand that allows me to lift the top of my bed up into the upright position and lift the base up for leg lift! They had a timely promotion! Comes on August 2nd. Until then I'm still stuck with my air mattress. It is what it is!

Also scored a new TV table from my parents and their old 65" Sony OLED smart TV for free! Got legs for it for $40 from Walmart.

Also looking at a couch on Monday from IKEA. Two seater. Should be perfect for my apartment. Just wanna make sure that it's comfy before I buy it.

Finally, found a potentially perfect new project table for filming knot videos and it folds in half so I can have a place to sit down and eat by myself and use as a computer table! SCORE! Wayfair.com on that one!

My empty apartment is coming together nicely! =-D

Back