How'd it go today?

Arrived at Ocean City MD for the annual multi family vacation. Mom and dad didn’t come this year as my dad’s in rehab for a broken hip and my mom doesn’t want to be 3 hours away. Totally understandable. We’ll be here a week and will have lots of beach time. Hoping the kids will have fun and behave.

Did my first ab workout yesterday morning with weight, loaded the truck and van, sat for 4 hours, and unloaded everything to the second story. 3 novel activities. About 8 pm last night I had some pretty intense muscle pains mid back. Probably used muscles that were slightly underdeveloped. Hopefully protein, massage, stretching, and anti inflammatories will knock it out in 24 hours. Have to watch certain movements. Rode the bike for an hour this morning which was good (I think).

@davidwyby That kind of torture sounds horrific. My mind wanders to dark places in time of injury as well. Just stubbing my toe is bad enough. Imagine having bamboo chutes pushed under your finger nails? Yikes. People are so vicious.

Looks like the tire somehow cut your toe, too. It was out for blood. I hope you recover soon! Appears as though the nail will be fine, though, in my unprofessional medical opinion; having incurred similar nail-related injuries. Leave it alone for now. Maybe wrap it in some sterile gauze with an antibiotic ointment on the afflicted regions below and around the nail. Basic bacitracin should be fine. But you want to make sure it can breath when you aren't working. So let those piggies out at the end of the day. Just don't want to get it infected either, hence my recommendation.

I live in a dog friendly apartment complex and and I've been chatting with this older woman and shown an interest in her French bull dog named GiGi. She correctly got positive dog care vibes from me and has asked for me to take care of GiGi twice per week. I ruminated on this for a few hours before willingly accepting her offer. It would only be two days per week, where I would go to her apartment twice per day and take GiGi for walks and maybe change her water and feed her if later in the day or earlier or both.

I've never done anything like this. Mostly just trying to help this woman out and make some easy money. What's a fair price per day for something like that? Anyone have any ideas? I'm really money shy with people I like and always think I'm gonna gouge people with the wrong price, so I low ball as a bad tic sometimes when stuff like this happens; where I just want to be nice and friendly. This is a perfect way to make some extra monies while I await a surgery date and maybe, if the word spreads, I could just walk doggos all day and care for them.

She was actually so invested that she said she said I could take GiGI all day on those two days if I wanted. But I don't have furniture yet and my place is kind of chaotic. Plus, that's more work than I want to take on. Anyways, I was thinking $30 per day sounds pretty fair. For two long walks, security, safety, water bowl cleaning, refilling, TLC and maybe feeding? I know people who pay $60 for one walk, which seems like a lot to me. Let me know, guys and gals. I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Easiest way is to just ask her what it's worth. If it's something you enjoy anyway, gratis isn't a bad deal, so it can only get better from there. Puts all the risk on you, but if it's something you want to do, it isn't much risk.

Fires can get bad fast up here.

We are just green enough right now that it helps. We also didn't have much wind on it.

We kept it under an acre.
It was our swather on our land...so kind of embarrassing but we were able to cancel the fire department response since we have our fire truck going.

Some of the bad fires I have been on were 10 to 20,000 acres in a bad afternoon.

Dad was on a fire out here in 1998 that burned 180000 acres in a day and a half.

Boss had stuff to do in the office, and the available holes were too small for real work, so I stayed home. Just got in from shortening grass like an idiot. The friggin' McLouds mowed some of my grass and mowed down my Queen Anne's Lace. It took a decent chunk off of what I had to cut, but I like the flowers, and mow around them.

I have no idea why my neighbors mow my grass. It happens on both sides. My yard won't be on the cover of Southern Living, but it isn't hillbilly heaven either. It's within the socially accepted range, if on the higher end. I don't know if they're being nice or what. I like having less grass to shorten, but stuff like flowers I like saving, and I have clover areas I'm trying to cultivate, so I want them to grow longer and healthier. Irritating...

I'm || close to bringing out the big guns. Trifoliate orange, black walnut, osage orange, sweet gum, and honey locust. All along the propertylines. I can be a bigger PITA than they could ever imagine with almost zero effort...

Here's an ERC growing on my fallen oak. It's been there a couple years now. Curious to see how it develops...

IMG_20240723_101902507.jpg

Yea, wineberries popup all over. After they fruit, I keep some and cull others. I'm indifferent about those particular ones, so they'll stay for now.

Anyone here know the song Baba O'Riley. I know the song, but until today, I was much mistaken as to it's name. No cheating. And probably not hard for people who actually bought albums. I've always listened on the radio, and I was out of this genre before the days of satellite radio that tells you the song and artist.

Sure. The Who. What was the question or error? I was HUGE into 60s and earlier music(less 70s but with some exceptions) back in the 80s, cause well... The alternative was 80s music, and I'd rather listen to icepicks in my ears. I don't listen to much rock of any kind anymore. It bores me, and I'd just rather hear other stuff.

The song was by the Who, but I, and others in the discussion, never knew the correct name. Baba O'Riley is never mentioned in the lyrics.
I only know the name of the song because my mother used to play it in her car with her old school iPod and she would ask me to pick out "Baba O'Riley." The Who. One of the most creative band names of all time.

A lot of technical keyboard playing in this song. Likely sped up for effect in studio. But maybe not. But most likely.

The second main bearing on my chipper's rotor didn't want to let go, and consequently, the puller changed a bit its chape. Chinesium, but still, that's a lot of force applied and no move at all. The new bearings were delivered today, so I had no remorse to cut out the stubborn bearing with the angle grinder.:evil:
I scraped the rust and cleaned the shaft, the new bearings slide on nicely. Maybe a bit too easily for my liking. 2 grab screws tighten the bearing on the shaft, but ... Vibrations and future wear you know. I guess that's why the cast iron mount abraded the outer bearing races of the old ones.
I'm doubtful that grease or anti-size paste will stay long in this application.
So what would you use to immobilise the bearing on the shaft, vibrations resistant and at the same time able to prevent the damned rust ?

Back