How'd it go today?

In my mind, the biggest danger is holding and cutting, and having the saw skitter down the limb and bite you. Make sure the saw's committed to the cut before you grab, and probably better if you don't do it at all.

Just another fun day. Noticed yesterday that the bearings went out on the front right side track. New one arrived today. Then today mini decided to spring a hydraulic leak. Couldn’t locate it on site. Was able to finish out the day though. Kinda frustrated with one of the guys. His felling is less than par. Then he bucked all the logs into 6 foot pieces instead of a useable length. Same guy is the reason I asked about cutting compression first yesterday. I feel he is purposely trying to piss me off lately. Anyhow, we finished and I found the leak. I have to pull the drive motor to change the line. Might as well do both of them. At least it was the same side as the bad bearing. Time for food, shower , and bed.

Unexpected events, beside the kickback, abble to hurt you badly :
Spring loaded limbs can send the saw up extremly fast during the cut when the wood gives up.
If you loose your balance for what ever reason while cutting (gaff out, gusy of wind, slidîng, dead stud, rope's path relocating ...) it's very hard to stay focussed and keep the saw where it is.
If a tooth catches a little diameter twig, it may not cut it but take it along the bar. That deviates vigorously your chainsaw and sends it elsewhere than you was planing to cut. It's especially dangerous in shortening the overgrown edges of thuyas and Leylandiis with their mess of stringy little dead twigs. Arizona cypress too. Same if it catdhes an unseen steel wire or a chain link fence.

Got off work a little early today. Picked up another load of cherry, and just about got it split before the rain started. I finished in a bit of drizzle. Snus shipment came in, so all's right with the world :^D Getting overwhelmed with tree stuff. Got my office project to do, cherry to split and haul, trees to drop, and a test run of milling pine for stakes. Supposed to rain tomorrow. If it looks like it won't be dumping, I might go in and give the milling a shot. Milling dimensional lumber's a hassle. I'm not terribly fond of milling anyway, and doing dimensional raises the hassle level a few notches.

Got a call from the harvester working in the same forest where we are logging Beech, he had a handfull of Grand firs, that were too big for him..............help, please.

I love when the machines have to give up and send for an old man and a chainsaw, totally and absolutely love it :D

Plus, after logging Beech for 2 months, knocking some large ( And when a Ponsse King Scorpion can't tackle them, they are fair sized) firs over in the sunshine makes for a nice change of scenery.
Not to mention smell.

Then I ran across a Norwegian lady, who wasn't just lost, she was LOST!
I offered to give her a ride out of the woods, and see if we could find her car.
Turned out she had hiked into a diffrent forest, crossed over where it abuts this one and completely lost her bearings.
She was real happy when we found her car.

Flipped the knives on my chipper, then reset the anvil.
Tricky fiddly job the anvil reset, six bolts, two to fine tune it forward and back and four lockers. It always shifts a tiny bit on the last wring down of the lockers, grrrr.
Last crisp edge of eight on the anvil, it's a big hunk of steel, wonder if I can get the whole thing reground rather than buy a new one?
Lashed about with degreaser and rags, cleaned it up a bit too.

Yup.
Machine is all back together. Started raining pretty hard so I decided I could load up in the morning. The mechanic and I both finished our projects about the same time so neither of us were waiting on the other tonight. Made it home in time to read about snakes and put the kids to bed. Time to eat and shower.

Did a nasty, 60', triple-stemmed Scotch Pine in a shitty location (hanging over neighbor's fence, 15' from custy's house) yesterday with a friend on the ground. Stupid tree beat the piss out of me and left me and my gear covered in pine sap. I have officially changed my opinion of worst trees ever, as white pines are a dream compared to these nasty things.

I'm not sure I've seen one planted anywhere. We used to use those or white pine as a jul tree when I was growing up. Much scratchier than white for sure.

They were popular here back in the 60's. They did not do as well as they were supposed to. Neighbor planted a few acres thinking they would be lumber some day. Too bad he didn't plant oak. Most of them are dead now and never got any size to them.

Back