How'd it go today?

Secondary rural roads are posted at 8 tons. My shop happens to be in the middle of one of those roads. I called the local municipality and they don’t even offer a permit. A few others do but also require a road bond. That range from $10-50 thousand, and to make it work I would need five permits as each municipality wants their own. So I take a months forced vacation some years it’s only been posted for a week. It’s a good time to catch up on maintenance, firewood, fabbing projects, and other bullshit. Wisco life!
Need some tracks on your trucks. Or work the poor man's way and convince the HO to let you pile up the tree for them to burn.

It's not necessarily the stiffness. I'm also trying to make it more compact. It might be too compact now(8" eye-eye), but I need to shave some more wood to allow room for the rope to tend smoothly so I can give it a good test. The rope tether works fine. In fact. much better than my wood one( :^D ), but it gives me a chance to try out different configurations with the only cost being working a piece of wood, which I find enjoyable.

Some pictures from the hanging out today. We didn’t get any of Pigwot!😩. John has the beard. I’m the other guy.

Attachments

• 03C024B0-2FE9-4A3A-B6C6-D4719013A9C7.jpeg
    03C024B0-2FE9-4A3A-B6C6-D4719013A9C7.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 22
  • C09E7C4E-5D6E-4212-9F28-B290EBE6F261.jpeg
    C09E7C4E-5D6E-4212-9F28-B290EBE6F261.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 24
  • 30C57581-12C1-43B8-A96F-E3F30C79A910.jpeg
    30C57581-12C1-43B8-A96F-E3F30C79A910.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 21
  • 6BD4AB68-8B82-4BAD-9788-2C0CEB00F894.jpeg
    6BD4AB68-8B82-4BAD-9788-2C0CEB00F894.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BFF62C28-8700-4B21-94D3-05C7CBE5E348.jpeg
    BFF62C28-8700-4B21-94D3-05C7CBE5E348.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB0A82DC-6462-43ED-BEB5-963973DB0769.jpeg
    FB0A82DC-6462-43ED-BEB5-963973DB0769.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
Today I had to make a choice between a shitty client and no client. As much as I need the work, I can't work for morons. This guy represents everything wrong with the residential tree care industry. I'm embarrassed to be on his jobs. I've tried to keep my mouth shut and just pick up the debris but I suck at keeping my mouth shut. Today's plan was to do one job 20 miles north of town then another job 30 miles south of town. They were an hour late, then we did 3 jobs in the first neighborhood. At 4:15 as we were leaving, he texts me they are heading to the other job an hour away. "It's a small job" he says. I said he already got his 'day rate' out of me and my day rate wasn't intended to include 11-12 hour days. After some surprisingly civil texts back and forth, I am done with him. none of his guys have a clue about proper tree care or running saws. Stubs everywhere. Notches and undercuts are unheard of. I'd rather not work than work with them again.

I picked trees up and set them down today. Can’t remember the number but 8 seems to ring a bell. All but one from the same set up. And all but one had a PITA tiny landing zone. It was a good day though.
Also, am I wrong in thinking that with a crane pick you should be cutting the compression side first most of the time?

Must be nice going daily grocery shopping at the arb store. Spoiled mother trucker! “ Honey I’m going to the arb store you need anything?” SPOILED!!! I tell you! While the rest of us poor bastards wait on UPS, Fedex, USPS, or have to drive hours and hours just to get there. Your gloating is getting trying mister. You and your ARB store. 🤯 No, I’m not jealous not at all stupid arb store of convenience to Treebilly and nobody else. O k maybe a little jealous but still, I’ll pout like a little baby if I want too. Lol
55C9AC5E-9C06-40E3-B438-E6A007396B33.jpeg
I even get personalized tags.
Didn’t know they did this till I got home

Also, am I wrong in thinking that with a crane pick you should be cutting the compression side first most of the time?

Sounds about right, generally speaking. Of course the crane can change compression to tension

So my phone rings this morning. Name I don't recognize and I see it is NOT a verified number, so I know it's a solicitor of some sort. I answered it anyway and waited for the spiel. This guy starts talking and I interrupt him to ask him his name again. He tells me and asks how I am doing today? I say "I'm naked". So he starts into his routine and I say "I hope you don't mind but I'm going to masturbate while you talk." He says "I'll call back later when you're not busy." and hangs up.

Did a bunch of little stupid jobs today. On the job near the office where I got the flowers, the farmer that's been using the fields til the subdivision is finished, blasted a hole through a woods you could fit a Russian battalion in. Trashed a bunch of good trees. I'll have years of cherry firewood as long as nothing stupid happens to it. Pisses me off though. If I was told this was gonna happen a few months ago, I could have picked a path through the woods that maximized wood retention, and gotten started with the clearing, instead of pushing shit around with a machine like a fuckwit. Asshole left some gnarly dead trees just sitting out by themselves also. It's like he aimed for the premium wood, just so he could shove it around, and remove all the value :^S

Finished up the stump grinding for a 5 small, corkscrew willow removal. Had a part-time new guy help me take them down on Friday (had to climb 3 of them; too close to deck and neighboring condo unit to just drop). Easy peasy money for less than 4 hours work. Hopefully the start of better days.

Got off work at 2:00 today. Practiced some horizontal movements in our Japanese maple- that bark does NOT allow traction!! Then, went up 80’ in one of our poplars to remove a large dead limb. Did some maneuvering around the canopy and practiced rope tail management. Didn’t realize how calm my brain was at that height on 1 tie in until I was down. Hopefully I’ll hit 100’ soon!! Personal record is 90’ with 2 tie ins.

I one handed the saw for the first time. It is an 18v Makita. I felt it was safer than getting into a 2 hand position due to the way the limb was bound at its tip. That would have left me exposed to a potential walloping from the butt end. Could have always used the Silky though.

I don't think one handing a top handle is inherently unsafe. Biggest problem is it's easy to do, and easy to be careless doing it. Always gotta keep "Saw goes where?" in your mind, so you're prepared, and can prevent the worst if things don't go right.

I agree John. I fail to see how it can hurt you without a kickback. I fail to see how you can have a kickback then the upper half of the tip is only contacting air.

Back