How'd it go today?

A day of bad decisions that screwed me in small ways. Had to layout an abutment, and I was gonna use 60d nails. Debated between taking my axe, or a claw hammer, and went with the hammer. turns out the axe would have been better, cause there was loose dirt, and I had to make some hubs with my saw, and the hammer didn't have enough ass, so it was harder than it needed to be to set them.

Looked at my almost spent roll of flagging on my belt and decided not to grab a new one cause I was setting pink chasers on the 60d nails. Ran out of flagging and had to scavenge pieces I squirreled away in my vest.

Decided on fingerless gloves, and thought about putting my full gloves in the truck. Opted instead to stick them in my jacket in case I decided I wanted them. Lost a glove somewhere. It was a glove I found, but I liked it, and it was a good match to the Milwaukee glove I found.

One of those days... Oh, and the boss was a tard on the gun. I routinely tell him "My instrument man sucks", and "worst instrument man ever" :^D That's not really true. I've had *much* worse, but still... I also tell him "I get a brand new goober every day" :^D

I'm going to nominate myself for "Dumbass of the Day Award"

I decided to change the oil in my truck this morning. It calls for 13 quarts so I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought 4 one-gallon jugs. I already had a new filter. Drained the oil, pulled the old filter, plug back in, new filter on. Started adding the new oil and as I'm pouring the last of the third jug into the funnel, I noticed the label on the "one gallon" jug I'm holding: 5 U.S. QUARTS! Oh, crap! WTH, who puts 5 quarts in a gallon jug?
It's an other proof that the imperial system mesurement is so weird. You don't even know what you have exactly in your jug without thinking deeply of it, doing some math after pulling out a conversion table.:P:D

Oh, about a week ago I finally put a cooler out back for Spot, and put some of my daughter's old PJs in it for a blanket. I saw her laying in a depression near my stairwell, looking pathetic. She didn't use it right away, but I confirmed tonight she's laying in it. I need to see if I have a lid for it, and I'll make her a porch to keep the rain off. I like having her around :^)

There were Tons of people wandering around the dead end peninsula we were working on today. Most carrying Binocs or telescopes or high zoom cameras. Asked one, they were all birders looking for a Stellar's Sea Eagle. Native to far east Russia, and wintering sometimes in Korea, northern Japan. As we were leaving a bunch had their scopes trained east, stopped and got a look through some fancy optics. The bird folks were super nice and their enthusiasm rubbed off a bit. Very cool to see a crazy rare bird. Check out The range map, long way from home Steller's sea eagle - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_sea_eagle
20220113_154642.jpg

Played with the crane today. Went well. Then my wife called to tell me she was taking my oldest for x-rays. She said her neck has been hurting the last couple days. Today she said it’s been like that since she wrecked the dirt bike. That was January 2! X-rays came back clean so I’m relieved. Sprain likely. Dr said don’t do things
that make it hurt.
All is good now except I didn’t get to my wood pile tonight. Oh well. Gonna rest up instead. I’m tossing a lot of extra rigging in the truck for tomorrow. Going to an uprooting oak that’s leaning toward a house. Emergency job that was called in this evening. Guess they got it guyed back already. We shall see

Has anyone here changed the belt on their mini skid? I'm wondering how involved it is. Even just tightening it looks like it could require taking a lot apart, but I haven't looked too closely at it yet. They like to make things difficult to get tools onto on this machine.

There were Tons of people wandering around the dead end peninsula we were working on today. Most carrying Binocs or telescopes or high zoom cameras. Asked one, they were all birders looking for a Stellar's Sea Eagle. Native to far east Russia, and wintering sometimes in Korea, northern Japan./QUOTE]

I think I heard about that wayward Stellar Eagle on some recent news clip. Pretty cool.

Afaik, John Muir loved him some Alaska.

Didn't he name his dog Stikine?

I just changed mine. No big deal. Remove the fan screen, loosen alternator, swap, tighten alternator. Replace screen.

Finding which ratchets/ sockets or wrenches fit in the available space is the biggest challenge.
E.g. 1/4" drive, deep-well 14 mm for one side. 8", 14mm open-end wrench for the other.

Routine day. Went to the city, and the falling building was mostly demoed. Shot the one next to it to make sure it isn't moving. Did a couple other boring things. Here's Spot in her new cooler...

20220114_163831.jpg

Still haven't found the lid. I can see it in my head, but can't remember where. Supposed to get snow Sunday night, so I'll put some kind of roof on it before then.

Yea, she's a feral that's been coming by for a couple years now. There's also Blackie, and they were always seen together, but they seem to have had a falling out. He'll come by every so often, but I don't see them traveling together anymore. I used to have a bunch more. I particularly liked Fathead and Mom, but I think there was a big roundup in the neighborhood, and I quit seeing them. Both Spot and Blackie were fixed and released.

I put food out in the morning, but I'm not the only one that feeds them. Spot seems to spend a lot of time here. Probably cause I'm nice to her, and give her attention. Helps keep the mice down.

Day was good enough. Emergency tree wasn’t an emergency. Root plate wasn’t heaved like they made it sound. It had reaction roots ( how I describe it) on the tension side. Either way it was coming out to make them at ease. We got about half of the crown out today. Mostly the house side.
Got home and wanted to get six more ibc totes ready for use. I never checked but they left a good amount of dye in them and it didn’t come out when I opened the valve. I put them in the garage to thaw. I’m hoping it froze and didn’t harden. I’ll just dump them into my chip pile and stir it up if it thaws. If not I guess I’ll double check that it’s harmless and mix the stuff in with my dirt pile. Worse case I haul it back to the mulch place and give them there junk back😡.
tomorrow will be more firewood. Almost have it all cut up and staged. Also have my mill friend coming over to pick up some oak, cherry, and maple logs. Payment for milling

Momma angel fish has fin rot...quick trip to town to town to pick up a hospital tank...she's in it now, hope we can save her. The pair of them have been laying eggs almost non stop. The babies get to the free swimming stage and the tetras and pleccos pick them off. We got a nursery net as well for next time.
We had drama 'in de tank', two females and one male. He was Mr. Skank Boy...two women on the go, Blondie and Sparkles, baby daddy for both! Girls were scrapping fierce, Sparkles must have raced Blondie bad because she wasn't there one morning. Found her behind the couch all dried up a few days later :/:
Joey our cockatiel was inspecting the top of the tank just now when the lid was off and he fell in...new meaning to the butterfly! He's a bit damp but ok, just a bruised ego.

Back