How'd it go today?

John,
It’s a relative scale. If I were to compare where I was at and where you are at based on years of experience you’re right on track to be zipping up trees too when you’re an old codger. Difference is my youthful enthusiasm for climbing yesterday belies my age, and means that this morning I can barely uncurl my hands and my arthritic shoulders screamed when I reached up into the cabinet for the coffee tin!! 😂

It was great getting to meet and climb with you and Mike. Can’t wait to see how you get along with your new Onyx saddle.

Funny, no muscle pain or soreness anywhere except where my saddle straps touched my body! Hips (like John said) and underside of the upper legs (Pat, you probably know the Latin name for this muscle group). Definitely time for an Onyx!!

'...some volcano in the south pacific.' !!!!!
It was just the largest ever underwater volcano explosion caught on satellite cameras!
It's an epic view, google Hunga Tonga volcano.
Small tsunami waves even here in Tasmania. Sound of the explosion made it to the east coast of Oz

Didn't do much today. Got groceries. Found a lid for Spot's hut...

20220116_154303.jpg

Pic turned out crap. It's a lid off a tote. I put in a few poprivets, and put a big rock on top. It's fairly sheltered there, so I think it'll stay. It'll help keep rain and snow off her bed. BTW, it's starting to snow. W00t!

Nah… my wife got all the butterfly pictures on her phone… I sat on the bench w the dogs…and looked at people

it’s great to get out… people watching has hit an all time high w corona.

Wow Deva, thanks for posting, very cool! Great news re the higher count!

When I see a monarch in these parts, my mind gets sorta blown just seeing this delicate yet evidently fearless wanderer. It's quite a fascinating lifestyle.

Yes, I get it, it's an animal following it's instincts. Regardless, it is very cool imo.

Sorta like the Caine of butterflies.

Great pics Jerry and Deva

I think I screwed up today. Snow turned to slushy mush last night, and didn't look like much this morning. I had intended on staying home, but it seemed like we could get some work done today despite the high winds they're calling for later. I'm now sitting in the office by myself. No boss... I have a little paperwork I can do to get ready for tomorrow, but I could have done that in the field. I probably should've stayed home.

Got a text last night for a delayed start. Got another text at 5 am saying we are shut down for the day. I fed everybody breakfast and cleaned up. Looks like 6”-8” on the vehicles and still coming down. As much as I hate to do it I think I’m going to have to plow the driveway. Then we will get the quads out and do some sledding. Might even light a fire outside to warm the fingers every few laps

yay...

IMG_20220117_100435.jpg

I'm home now. I couldn't be happier with Spot's cathouse. She really likes it, and it seems to be keeping her dry. I was thinking it would be cool to stack stones around it, and make it cave. I'll see if I'm motivated enough to bring a bunch of rocks home. Probably not.

edit:
Forgot... I got in touch with Garrett Wade yesterday regarding my sappie. Turns out they credited my account with $36 back in December instead of sending me another one as requested. That of course didn't cover the $15 in shipping I paid when I bought it. Not sure how I feel about that. No matter what happened I'd have lost, but I'm not sure which is the bigger loss. I got a new sappie that works fine, and I don't really need two, but OTOH, I paid $16(don't forget the paint) to rent a sappie for a couple hours. If they sent me another one, it would have been $36(no credit then), but I'd at least have something I could hold in my hand :^/

Last edited:
'...some volcano in the south pacific.' !!!!!
It was just the largest ever underwater volcano explosion caught on satellite cameras!
It's an epic view, google Hunga Tonga volcano.
Small tsunami waves even here in Tasmania. Sound of the explosion made it to the east coast of Oz

Holy moly!!!

Thanks for posting that, Fiona.

Laid out bridge stuff. Lots of climbing around on formwork. Kicked my ass a little bit. Got back to the office, and fell asleep in my chair for almost 1.5hr. Found my glove I lost last week! I've been spending way more time than is sensible thinking about that. I didn't even pay for it! Like most of my work gloves, I find them on the ground, but it was a righty, and righties are scarce.

Question...

Why do you suppose the vast majority of gloves I find are lefties? Think about it. If you're right handed, you'll typically take the right glove off for fine control of whatever, then possibly lose the glove. Most people are right handed. What's the mechanism for losing left handed gloves? It isn't even close comparing the sides I find. I bet it's 5:1 left to right for gloves I find. One of life's mysteries...

I had to laugh at the apprentice today.
Back when we had our preliminary talk ( Up in a mature Beech) he said that he wasn't interested in logging, just arborist work.
So I told him, if you apprentice with us, you'll damned well log.
Otherwise you'll end up like the 90% of Danish arborists that can't use a saw for shit.

Today was his 4th day of logging Maple.
He told me it was the best job he'd ever had: " Man, I love this!!"

Made me laugh a bit, but good for him.

Back