How'd it go today?

If you manage to pull your head out without undoing the loops from the second video, it will deploy even better from my experience, but there's a top and bottom so you have to lay it down right. You can also flake out the line before use too, with extension cords and welding lead I'll plug them in, uncoiling as i walk to my work area, so there's never any problems. Do it a few times and you can do it as fast as i care to walk :lol: In construction proper coiling is super important, because all tools are tossed in a gangbox, so you will be pulling it from the bottom with everything else on top of it lol.

Those methods look good. I coil a rope but it's nothing around the neck like that and it was what I was taught as a 16-year-old. Your basic one full arm length of rope and roll/twist it in front of you and then lay it in the other hand. Not nearly as quick as what you just showed but it makes a good coil. But you also do better having it stretch completely out like you talked about. Those are good videos and will be worth trying.

If I have to carry a rope on my back I two-part coil like 09 but leave enough tail to backpack style if. In the gym, I use a Metolius rope bucket and just load it as I pull it down from anchors. At a crag I use a BD rope burrito to stack and move to different routes.

for deploying to rappel on slabs, I stack rope first then basically make a ball-like shape out of 30-5- feet of rope and huck it. Works great in heavy wind. Hilly bowling ball sort of.

But to be clear... My climbing and rigging ropes that I use the most are flaked into plastic baskets... Milk crates. It's quick and they stack and works well. I do coil the ropes that I don't use often such as my bigger rigging ropes and other small ropes that are used for taglines and things like that. I'll leave a long tail, four to five feet, and use that to hang them with a mooring hitch in my trailer. Or sometimes hang them from other ropes.

I like coiling ropes. The end result is satisfying. If I were using them every single day, I might use containers to flake the line in, but the bit of time it takes for my limited use is no big deal.

Every rope I have is coiled except my Raptor line. I can roll a line faster than I can stuff it in a bag. I bought several rope bags but seldom use them.

I just realized that if my 026 is running too rich, I can lean it out with methanol at the very least if not some nitromethane instead of more oil. I've done it before; mixed a few percent of nitro fuel into gas. I'd keep it in an oil quart bottle to fresh mix before use since it is possible for nitro to separate out of the gas.
Can't you find a carb with both adjustment needles to swap on to that saw? I used to do it many times on several 200T's. Just need the right part number to look up.

Hate those single needle adjusting carbs. Easy enough to find one with high and low needle adjustments. Loved my old 026. Topped plenty of trees with it. Gave it to a chainsaw carver that lost everything to one of our fires.

Yesterday, roll up into the National Forest for a western red cedar kill. Little 100 foot leaner. HO asks, hey, where is your third man. I tell him it will only be the two of us. Chipper and dingo. He asks, well how long is it going to take? I tell him not too long. Definately not all day. He had guests coming to rent the cabin and was worried he was not going to be able to tidy up.
Steep drive way and tree about midway. Always worry about oil starvation in the chipper so I set it at the bottom. Clean up will roll down hill with the dingo. No mess at the house pad.
Stripped the tree with some self lowering and some bombing. Rob running the mini down with bundles. Three decent size tops. NC self lowered the small one. Then bombed the other two and a log into the drive. Came down, helped chip, then wraptored back up and lowered 3 decent logs so as not to divit the driveway. Felled the spar. He added two little crispy fir drops. No clean up on those.
In and out in 4 hours with a snack break and jabbering over coffee. He kept the chips and logs.
Funny how people view the work. I see an hour of stripping a tree, and they see most the day and sweat the mess. All tidy in time for your paying client that paid for the removal. ;)

I put a randomly selected fortune at the bottom of my timesheet for the secretary. The one randomly picked today is too long to fit, so I'll give it to you all, and pick a new one for her...

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great
crystal river. Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs
and rocks of the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and
resisting the current what each had learned from birth. But one creature
said at last, "I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall
let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom."
The other creatures laughed and said, "Fool! Let go, and that current
you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks, and you will
die quicker than boredom!"
But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at
once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks. Yet, in time,
as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the
bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more.
And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, "See
a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come
to save us all!" And the one carried in the current said, "I am no more
Messiah than you. The river delight to lift us free, if only we dare let go.
Our true work is this voyage, this adventure.
But they cried the more, "Saviour!" all the while clinging to the
rocks, making legends of a Saviour.
-- Richard Bach

Bank Woman: Holy shit! That's the first cold call that worked!

It's gonna be an extra happy hour today :^D

Just bought a reese portable winch from the consignment shop. Turns out it has pretty shit reviews. 1 ton is light anyway, but more than my maasdam, and could maybe add m/a. I debated on it in the store while I looked around, and decided to get it. $50. If it doesn't work out, it isn't a whole lot of money.

Went to the hospital today. Had the cast off and the stitches out.

Strangley, I now have a super skinny arm with Leprosy. 😳😳😜

The surface wounds have healed, still a few scabs but they said give it a few more days then start to wash them and they will come off.

Got a bundle more exercises to do for the rehab.

What's it feel like? At this point, do you feel like you'll be able to use it pretty well after getting back in shape, or is it still a hope at this point?

What's it feel like? At this point, do you feel like you'll be able to use it pretty well after getting back in shape, or is it still a hope at this point?

Still very stiff and weak. I can’t bend wrist due to the funny angle it was cast. So the exercises cover that mobility. Still too early to tell really. I am not allowed to pick any thing up with it or do anything other than physio.

AF8050A1-B5F8-41A1-961B-344AB8DEF641.jpeg 6BEABE84-DB19-4BD8-8DCE-DCE06D4C4EDD.jpeg

Got lucky, as the kid was off, so he made it as BM2 today. Finished up a nasty, side of a hill job: one major split lead over pool, cut up and drop fallen tree through pool fence, and drop and cut up 2 trees homeowner didn't want to see in his pool (the one we cut out was the 2nd one he had in there). The cut-up and lead went smoothly, but the 2 drops had to be climbed (one too big to drop, the other had no way to get a line up into it, and was about 15 deg back lean over the hill to neighbor's pool below). Oh, add to the fun both trees covered in 4 different vines, some with long-ass prickers. Masdaam'd both successfully, and ended up pulling out 95% of the vines as well (I got trapped under that mess after the hinge gave on #2;, real shitty escape route). Only needed to stack in piles around hill, and got bonus from HO since. we got it all done b4 holiday weekend. Woo-hoo!

Back