How'd it go today?

Too often we (tree surgeons/climbers/arborists whatever) do sketchy stuff just to save inconsequential targets.
Wooden fences, a bit of grass, a shrub.
That’s our job to an extent but a quick chat with the client about what might well ‘get it’ will often bring a
‘Sure, no problem, whatever’

Absolutely.
Especially if you tell them how much cheaper the job can be done with a bit of collateral damage.

I might be able to do something like that. I think I know where some trash metal is on the farm. I'd have to hammer it back in shape, but it doesn't have to look pretty. Boss was supposed to talk to the welder over the weekend, but the guy never called. He needs stuff from us, so I'll probably hear something soon. If not, I'll call myself.

Got to fell a hickory today. Probably my best I've ever done, and I had to double cut it. Boss said it was 12". More like 14"-16"DBH, and 18"-20" where I cut it. I'd have stopped at my house to get a bigger saw had I known. I screwed up one side of the backcut, but nothing terrible, and you'll have to take my word for it, but my face was almost perfect. The front looks gnarly cause I cut the tree off the stump, or thought I did anyway. My glasses were covered in sweat, and what I thought was a stump attachment, wasn't.

It still sucks, but not bad for me, especially using a beat chain I've been using to cut filthy wood ...

20210525_150300.jpg 20210525_150307.jpg 20210525_150840.jpg

Ran estimates, helped a crew out on a clearance/ safety prune, and looked at more jobs. Stopped at an ex employees house to check on him. Doing well and happier than I can remember seeing him. Loves his new job as the after hour janitor/cleaning guy at a local bar/ pool hall. Got home and loaded up the side by side to plant the garden. The boy wanted a ride so we took one. He got to see a whole mess of baby geese on the RR tracks and 3 deer. He was happy. He ran in the house to tell everyone. Also told el wifo how I went up and then down the big dirt pile. Needless to say she was not happy. Now I’m gonna get these onions and potatoes in the ground. A bit late but late is better than never

I might be able to do something like that. I think I know where some trash metal is on the farm. I'd have to hammer it back in shape, but it doesn't have to look pretty. Boss was supposed to talk to the welder over the weekend, but the guy never called. He needs stuff from us, so I'll probably hear something soon. If not, I'll call myself.

Got to fell a hickory today. Probably my best I've ever done, and I had to double cut it. Boss said it was 12". More like 14"-16"DBH, and 18"-20" where I cut it. I'd have stopped at my house to get a bigger saw had I known. I screwed up one side of the backcut, but nothing terrible, and you'll have to take my word for it, but my face was almost perfect. The front looks gnarly cause I cut the tree off the stump, or thought I did anyway. My glasses were covered in sweat, and what I thought was a stump attachment, wasn't.

It still sucks, but not bad for me, especially using a beat chain I've been using to cut filthy wood ...

View attachment 111306View attachment 111307View attachment 111308
Well, John..the hinge is not beautiful, sure...but not that bad at all :).

Not nearly as bad as that miserable excuse for a chainsaw, frankly :D.

Get some self respect, my friend...please :D.

Last edited:
Well, John..the hinge is not beautiful, sure...but not bad at all :).

Not nearly as bad as that miserable excuse for a chainsaw, frankly :D.

Get some self respect, my friend...please :D.
Hey, it runs circles around my 026, cost about as much as a shorter Stihl bar, and is theft resistant. We had a rocky start, but it's doing ok enough for an office saw. I do need to look at my 026 though. I'd prefer using that.

Horizontal rain here today. Glad I am off duty ;)

My day consists of exercises by the hour. Off to the hospital on Friday to get the exterior stitching removed.

house build is 95% complete. Just waiting for the electricians to connect everything up and then about a day for the chippie to finish a couple of things off and then fit the garage door.

Found the pot of gold the other day as well.

96D8E29B-E9F4-4035-B1D6-944D7F00F091.jpeg 0DD15114-19D2-4474-B600-A5A66160D939.jpeg B88CF56A-CD5B-4C34-94DB-5BAA39E6F509.jpeg DA619C6D-DB69-4013-94FB-EED9EC4EE137.jpeg 5AA0B6C7-BB54-4704-A9D7-8FBFF62F847D.jpeg F590C354-3D0F-4DA9-A1F5-148586FF4A35.jpeg 3F2A9179-1B3C-4B88-8611-F71013CEC78B.jpeg E6A4ECD2-8E84-4695-B665-CBFF0FADF945.jpeg

Still burning wood, or for next year? We had fires twice in May last year. Haven’t had one in weeks this year.
Still burning a little. One small fire box full. Some cool days, with windows open a bit for fresh air all the time.

The wood I'm splitting is for next year.

Close to finishing wood that was split two years ago.

Back