How'd it go today?

They still come with that tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce?
The jalapeño cheese spread is pretty awesome.
Tons of calories in one of those meals, depending what’s in it, unless you’re working VERY hard or bodybuilding, those meals will turn someone into a fat bastard if they eat the whole thing twice a day.
The vegetarian ones were usually good. Cheese tortellini came with skittles I think :)

Tabasco bottles are gone. They now have a ketchup type pack of Bulliards for the meals that include them. Yea, I like the cheese spreads too, but you can definitely taste the vitamins in them. Entrees aren't in boxes anymore. They're packed loose, and there's a separate paperboard sleeve you use to heat them with the heater. Trying to cut waste I guess, but they have a long way to go. Amazing how those relatively small packs explode with stuff when open :^D

I used to have a preferred manufacturer, but I can't remember which(Sopakco?), or why. Might not even be relevant anymore. I stopped getting them for awhile when money got short, and only started getting them again the last few years.

Last edited:
Half day cleaning/ tuning saws and helping Sven wire a new pigtail on the chipper. Electricity still baffles me but we got it sorted out eventually.

Murphs, 71681 top of the page, dropped a tree on a underground gas line.
Thanks, Mick. I couldn't spot it within an ignored post.

Easiest money I've made in a while...no clean-up, moderately leaning 65- 70' maple, phototropically growing amongst tall for next to a cleared, developed parcel.

Makes me consider how much I may like the idea of advertising for no clean-up tree work.

Well today could have been worse. Had to reverse down an iced hill after we couldn’t make it up.

Had a trailer and tracked chipper on that decided to do it’s own thing and drag us backwards down a hill and I to a woodland. Snowbank stopped my truck.

Surprisingly, not ever a scratch on the trailer, chipper or my truck. At one point I thought it was gonna flip us down the bank.

Slid for about 20m and came to a stop here. Started just short of the top of the hill. My Hilux probably got spun about 130* round and was almost facing back down the hill.

6C68D403-EFE8-4F40-A0C0-22A19823EFB9.jpeg EEE7CF4A-DD2C-4DC9-AADE-E43089010BA4.jpeg 18C40AD3-4F35-45C2-A637-8A677E52D68D.jpeg 0AE0A492-05B1-4962-8BC3-7C53F0907863.jpeg

Oh yes, we secured my truck with a block and rigging line via a tree-direct to my friends Ford Ranger. The chipper had a couple of winches, so we secured that to a tree on the opposite side of the road. Tried to get out but it wasn't happening. Tracked the chipper of the trailer using the winch line as a brake line. We had to fell a few saplings and small things to get if off. I drove in low range and diff lock and the Ford Ranger pulled as well and it came out no bother. Other than smashing the ice block out with an axe. It was jammed under the sidesteps and was what stopped us turning further and going down the bank sideways.

We were felling and winching trees to the chipper by 9.30. That happened just after 8am.

Was at the city job today. Here's a few pics...

IMG_20210129_114352.jpg

Stone foundation...

IMG_20210129_115349.jpg

Some deadmen and shoring for the facade. I appreciate the sentiment, but it isn't all that. I think it would have been just as good taking it down, and relaying the old brick. Probably cheaper and more solid...

IMG_20210129_114341.jpg

A weird window at the bottom of some steps...

IMG_20210129_135054.jpg

Found part of an old bottle in the dirt. Had something molded in the glass. I need to clean it up, and see what it says. No pics of that.

Had my chipper drag my truck once down a hill. No pilot in the pilot seat though. Were just pulling the Chocks when the parking brake let go. Slapped the chock back under but there was stopping 16000 lbs not counting gear in the bed. Rolled right over the chock. Just watched as it kept going finally stopped by a tree before it went into a drainage that would have taken bigger stuff to pull the mess out. No damage to the Vermeer or truck, but the tree trunk was missing a piece.
Happy that ended well Rich.

Must have been the scratch and dent section then. You said you were furniture shopping in this pic...

20201123_135802-0-jpg.105239

:^P

Had my chipper drag my truck once down a hill. No pilot in the pilot seat though. Were just pulling the Chocks when the parking brake let go. Slapped the chock back under but there was stopping 16000 lbs not counting gear in the bed. Rolled right over the chock. Just watched as it kept going finally stopped by a tree before it went into a drainage that would have taken bigger stuff to pull the mess out. No damage to the Vermeer or truck, but the tree trunk was missing a piece.
Happy that ended well Rich.

I am so gonna definitely make a brake pedal board for my truck, to wedge against the seat. I have hills to fight, too. And, frequently solo.

You can have a rope for the chocks that you can pull from the driver's seat, after driving off the chocks. You can even reel them in, under the truck into the driver's open window or open door, if no flat ground is near to park on and pack up.

Solo chocking of the tires is harder. You're only going to get one, or two if you work a good plan.

Oh yes, we secured my truck with a block and rigging line via a tree-direct to my friends Ford Ranger. The chipper had a couple of winches, so we secured that to a tree on the opposite side of the road. Tried to get out but it wasn't happening. Tracked the chipper of the trailer using the winch line as a brake line. We had to fell a few saplings and small things to get if off. I drove in low range and diff lock and the Ford Ranger pulled as well and it came out no bother. Other than smashing the ice block out with an axe. It was jammed under the sidesteps and was what stopped us turning further and going down the bank sideways.

We were felling and winching trees to the chipper by 9.30. That happened just after 8am.
Your good karma is showing. Take that as a warning though.. how heavy is that trailer? probably not the wise to he pulling it in icy conditions with that light a truck.

Oh I had help Sean. But he panicked :lol:
I was more.... Oh well, no stopping this, hope it aint bad. Not like its hitting a house or anything.
Thanks for the tip. We are due to make more chocks. Might just set up a couple that way.

Back