How'd it go today?

Having a good day. Used the mini to clear the drive and make the kids a snow pile to tunnel through. Been redneck sled riding using the quad to pull the heathens around. Problem is children don’t feel cold till they are really cold. They’re outside screaming for more and I just came in to warm up. More snow falling now. Hopefully these kids will grow tired before I freeze to death.

Plastic bags under their socks and washing up gloves under their normal gloves.

That little combo gave me super human powers to never get cold as a kid she out in the snow.

Didn't do a thing today. Going back to the hinge pics thread, there was a slight derail talking about running a crosscut saw, and undercutting logs. I was looking at pics of antique tools today, and ran across a couple undercut supports...

vintage-logging-tool-dugan-19_1_1e28d6d70515bc48adce813db536c779.jpg
vintage-logging-undercutter-logger_1_4c7b6c03e1fd6b1254ed2265a8e77b01.jpg

Pics aren't great, but surprisingly, it was about all I could find. I suppose I might be able to do better with more carefully considered search terms, but it gets the point across. I think the top one's probably better. Looks like it has more vertical travel. I think you only have the chromed(nickle?) part to work with on the lower one.

Had one of two plow trucks break a belt tensioner. The only parts place I found with it was an hour away... My neighbor has the truck in his garage. We watched a how-to video on Youtube. When I got home I started the other truck (my old favorite plow truck 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel) and it sounded really bad and just barely started. Hopefully, she makes it through this storm. It already needs a rear Diff, whihc is sitting at the shop waiting for install.

Now I'm concerned about leaving to start the route until the other truck is up and the plow is back on. Maybe could get a little sleep while they finish the belt, as I may be out for 24 hours or more.

That's a good neighbor, fixing my truck at 12:30 AM. He says one more hour, so I'm going to brush my teeth and go to bed for an hour.. it's a nice way to trick the body.

I love Red Bull. Not for the caffeine, because I don't respond to it, just like it. Probably addicted to the caffeine, even though I could drink a quart of the stuff and then fall asleep. Haven't had one since October. $$$

I drink tons of coffee, and it doesn't do a thing for me. I will get a screaming headache if I don't drink any though. It's not much of a burden to make sure I drink coffee. I'd quick alcohol before I quit that.

Another fairly unproductive day. I don't feel too bad about it. Enjoying the fire and snowy view out my back door. Got some snow shoveled, and oiled my work leather. I use the dregs of my olive oil bottles when they get to be a PITA to pour. Got my belt and two knife sheaths done. Had enough left for my axe and puukko sheaths.

Second actual snowstorm of the year here, very strange winter. Did some shoveling once it started switching over to freezing rain. Inside drinking coffee in front of the stove, kinda an ideal snow day

I'm pretty damned cheap. It's kind of selective though. I'll obsess over the smallest details trying to maximize value, but I won't think much over spending money on stuff like chainsaws and MREs. I guess that's what makes me pseudo rich. I try to cut all costs on things that don't matter so much, and it gives me money for things I'm interested in. I also don't like waste. Kinda dumb to throw out good oil when I have leather that needs to be oiled. One less thing to buy, one less container to pollute with, and one less bottle(leather conditioner) sitting around to misplace.

Pretty much me to a T, too. :drink:

I might worry some critter would want to eat the oiled gear though!

That's a real possibility. You wouldn't want to store olive oiled leather some place mice will get to. I haven't had issues, but I've read it can be a problem. I got turned on to olive oil looking it up to see if it was good for leather. Apparently, it's fairly popular for horse tack. I figure if it's good enough for horses, it's good enough for me.

Was supposed to rain today so I called off work for lads. Then the weather made a fool of me and went north a ways, so rain starts later. Lads confused. Still gave them a day off as winds are going to get brisk and burning shat would keep me up tonight. So tomorrow it is.
Took Lilly shopping in the city to spend more Christmas money at Hobby Lobby for art supplies. Im just happy my truck has new shoes, Harbor Frieght was next door and I got what I needed there. Now a cup of coffee for dad while Lilly searches books.
Had a nice breakky. Now we'll talk lunch.

doncha just hate it when you get schooled by the weather like that?!?

Totally, Rich.

But Ive been thru it so many times, guessing right, guessing wrong, that now I just guess and then Im done with it, if I get it right or wrong, whatev :|:

Our 55 foot buckets kind of have a hard time stabbing into these live oak canopies here in down town Savannah GA. I have been sent a great group of climbers to help speed them up. This is a big change for me running three different crews. I hope I can keep em on top of it. Hope you all are doing fabulous. 20210201_141748.jpg

Back