How'd it go today?

Today was for Marc. Just about killed me...

IMG_20210122_133000.jpg
~200#, and as awkward as you can imagine. I could feel my spine compressing as I carried them. Didn't get them quite deep enough, but it should be ok. I just wanted the job to be over.

I also have a leatherleaf viburum, and forsythia I'm gonna take home. Not sure where they're going yet, but freezing weather's coming, so I need to get the exposed roots in the ground, or inside. I think I got all the shrubs in the burn pile. Just doing my part to make America great, and create oxygen for everyone to breathe. I should get a Medal of Freedom or something :^P

Maybe marginally hardy in your area, but check this plant out.

Caffeine bearing US native holly. Appeal to your independent spirit? Who needs coffee when you can have a nice glass of I. vomitoria! Kinda like Yerba Matè I'd suppose

Would definitely be in my garden if I lived in the south

Looks pretty cool. My problem is I'm running out of space. I'm only bringing these plants home cause they looked so sad laying unburied on the ground :^D Also, it'll be cool having some flowering stuff, but they aren't necessary. I'm thinking the viburnum will take the place of some wild thing growing in the corner of my drive. Dunno about the forsythia yet. The good corner I have for it, I want a couple persimmon there. I'll have to look at the yard. Maybe up near my fallen oak. Not a lot of sun, but enough to sustain life I think.

I ended up sticking it in the right corner near where the persimmons will go. There's enough room for everyone I think.

The boys eradicated a Rook colony and set up a large plastic owl to discourage them from coming back.

That colony went from nothing to 20 nests in a year, hopefully the owl will work.

I'm still sitting at home with a foot that looks like it belongs on a Hippopotamus, if Hippos were blue.

Last edited:
Hows the pain? lotta folks smoke weed for pain, is that an option?

Didn't do much today. Cut up some branches, but that's about it. Snowdrops are fully outm and it isn't even February yet. They look better poking out of snow...

IMG_20210123_121448.jpg

No sign of the Siberian Squill yet. I put them in the ground last year. Hope they come up. Here's my new leatherleaf viburnum...

IMG_20210123_154759.jpg

Looks kinda sadm but it's spent a lot of time laying on it's side partially covered by pallets. Hoping it perks up in the ground. You can see the wild thing in the background I cut to make room for it. I left some in case the viburnum doesn't thrive. Anyone know what it is? Here's a closer pic of the bark...

IMG_20210123_154825.jpg

Pics aren't great. Sun is intense and shadowy, and I'm not great at taking pics. The shrub is very leggy, and gets red berries in the fall.

I don't like weed.
It screws with my center of speech and renders me more or less mute.

It is painful, but I've tried worse.

There is always worse, you know.

A joke I was told when I was buckarooing in Idaho last millenium:

A cowboy comes in to the local village doctor with a bad cut.
The doc tells him, it'll need stitches and he is out of anestetics.

No matter, says the cowboy, I've tried worse.
So he proceeds to tell a tale of having to ride 60 miles in a snowstorm to find a doctor, with a broken leg that had gone gangreneus.
"God, that must have been horrible" says the doctor.

"Nah, I've tried worse.
Once I backed into some bushes to take a dump, let my pants down and sqatted right in a coyote trap, that caught me right in the balls."
The doctor is shocked, but again the cowboy says: "I've tried worse"
"Come on man, what could possibly be worse?"

"When I hit the end of the chain!"

See, now my foot feels way better.

Last edited:
took a backleaning mulberry top over the wires. F550 for ground anchor, 3:1 MA system with 1/2" true blue, using the skid steer with turf tracks on the lawn. I got a little lazy or I would have set a bull line, and gone 3:1 to it. And I left the hinge a lit thick, so we put a lot of stress on the line. 20210123_164806.jpg 20210123_170621.jpg Screenshot_20210123-232826_Gallery.jpg

Going in to work early, hopefully this shit show of a process runs right tonight. 3pm today to 7am tomorrow.

I think the Bills are in for a doozy of a game today, Chiefs are no joke.

Replaced the front roller on the mini skid and am now debating replacing the rotors on my truck. Not that it’s hard but it is 22*F and cloudy. I also have to touch up my top handle chain and exchange a side plate on another 201. Kinda peaceful today. My mom took the kids and my wife is helping my sister in law paint.

Dave! That’s great. I just started assembling the parts to get started on our taxes.

My 90 and 88 year old neighbor couple called about an hour ago in a panic. Their sons who don’t live close by had a new tv and soundbar delivered as a holiday gift. It was set up and was no problem until they decided to watch a dvd last evening. They turned the tv on to watch pregame before the football game started today and couldn’t figure out how to get back to the cable tv feed. A minute lesson on their three remotes allowed them to understand how to select input.

Game on, so on the way back home the knucklehead neighbor two doors up (I have bailed out before) is up on his ladder again going “look ma, no hands” as he again gets his saw pinched. Rolled my window down to say ‘Again!?! - you still have three young children; what the f**k are you doing?’ He said he was just fine, and had another chainsaw to cut it loose.
Okay... haven’t heard any ambulance sirens yet

8216692B-9950-4F8B-87B2-A6CD9F4EF5BE.png

It’s a warped rear rotor. Not the fronts. Ended up doing nothing. I could’ve went and exchanged parts but I drive past there twice daily so I’ll deal with it another time. Got dinner going in the smoker. It was supposed to be breakfast but we were with out children last night and woke up very late. I might move some more fire wood or I might enjoy a beer. It’s been a peaceful day

Not much good comes from ladders and treework :^D
I used ladders for 20+ years to great avail... I'd point and say "hey Mike would you set the 32 right here" and then go get the rope saddle and chainsaw. Even if I was wearing spikes I'd prefer to start with a walk up the ladder, and of course, it helped to bridge all that lower ivy and other nastiness that would catch the lanyard. The easiest part was just doing the pointing and rarely needing to carry or set the ladder personally. Then there was blowing all the sawdust and debris off the roof, and picking up the gutter cleaning. I have done as many as 247 gutters in the fall and 100 regularly in the spring. We had one day with 9 guys that came just shy of 5/k for a condo gutter cleaning. flip-flopping the trucks. I only did one gutter last fall. It used to keep me busy from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

That said I did have a couple of mishaps on ladders over the years. One time I was low on the ladder when it kicked out on wet slick sealed blacktop. Might have fallen 5 feet max. I disappeared into another world. I can't even put it into words. It was trippy without the drugs. It was entirely another world. I snapped out of it just as my feet hit the ground. The rest of me came down completely limp in what turned out to be a fairly soft landing. I was trying to explain it (as well as could be possible) to a buddy of mine who was a roofer, and before I got much into the description he announced with certainty "BEEN THERE". At the time I thought it was just something the mind does to play a trick on you, as a survival technique, so you'll go limp and have a better chance of coming out uninjured. Now I wonder. Maybe it was another dimension that is always there but rarely accessed.

I do love the fact that you took a picture, just to share with us, so we all can enjoy a good laugh before the guy falls and has his leg bone sticking through his skin. The "before time " :lol:
A picture is worth a thousand words!!! And it's hard not to laugh sometimes at such nonsense. I try t resist laughing when the consequences of such actions can be a fatality or permanent disability.
I originally put this video together as a comedy but felt so bad laughing at other people getting hurt that I changed it to an educational piece.

Back