How'd it go today?

Seeing Stephen's pines got me thinking about a broken white pine at work. Limb got taken out by the snow/ice we had a month or so ago, and it's still there. It's the neighbor's tree, but close to the propertyline. It's an older guy in poor health. Thinking I might go over and ask if he wants me to take care of it.

Anyway, the big limb is 18"+, and broken going into the stem. How do you handle that? Cut it like you would a prune, and leave the mangled stuff where the collar would be? Cleanup some of shreds going into the stem? Maybe trim it farther out leaving a stub, so the tree can do... something? :shrugs:

Seeing Stephen's pines got me thinking about a broken white pine at work. Limb got taken out by the snow/ice we had a month or so ago, and it's still there. It's the neighbor's tree, but close to the propertyline. It's an older guy in poor health. Thinking I might go over and ask if he wants me to take care of it.

Anyway, the big limb is 18"+, and broken going into the stem. How do you handle that? Cut it like you would a prune, and leave the mangled stuff where the collar would be? Cleanup some of shreds going into the stem? Maybe trim it farther out leaving a stub, so the tree can do... something? :shrugs:
If its torn out, ill often just cut off the spiintery bits and let the tree try and callouse around the wound. They are pretty good it. I prefer not to leave stubs though if one can help it.

Still pwning n00bs for energy consumption...

nPH1vqm.png

Routine day. My last job was past my house, so I didn't go back to the office. Still need to see if the neighbor wants me to take care of the pine. Maybe tomorrow. Outside is the about same temp as in. Phone says 44°, but it feels a bit warmer than that. Have the door open for awhile before I start a fire.

Just ordered some MREs. Last year when covid started, they jumped to ~$400/case. Just got two cases for $204. Much more reasonable. I like to have some on hand for work, or whatever. I try to keep one in the truck in case something comes up, and I'm starving.

Austin, great pics as usual.

Just wondering, are you an AK native, and do you sense you will or would like to at least, live there the rest of your life?

I've never been there, and I think I want to live there the rest of my life :^D

All his pics are amazing. I'm sure they're cherrypicked to some extent, but it comes off as awesome everywhere you turn. Even if there's some lame stuff, I'd like to be so close to that kind of nature, that those kinds of pics are an every day occurrence.

Hey Cory - no I wasn't born in AK but started working here after school in 1987. Worked as a seasonal for a few years and was hired on as a permanent in 1990...been here full time since then. Hard to say how long we will live here but at this stage in our lives we can't think of anywhere else we would want to move to as long as our health is good. I'm eligible to retire at any time but I think I'll go another year and re-evaluate.

Jim, do you have many porkies there? Doesn't seem the best habitat for them. Got TONS of them here and they are hell on the young growth trees.

Back