How'd it go today?

Back from getting my virus test appointment.

They took 2. Had me do both nostrils, then the nurse swabbed the heck out of my mouth.

9am Sunday was a great time for it...all the way through the City and hardly any traffic. No waiting when I got there. :D

Typical Sunday here. Cooked a great breakfast and plenty of household stuff to take care of. Also gonna drop off a burl I got from a job. That’s my excuse to visit the elderly couple up the road. Not that I need an excuse but I can see a difference in him when I bring something for him to do. Probably drink a few beers with him in his workshop.

We lost power Monday night, finally got it back Friday morning. Big rain and wind...plenty of scattered blowdown, but we didn't lose anything.

Borrowed a generator Thursday to cool down the refrigerator/freezer. Otherwise, power outage doesn't cause us much of a problem. Woodstove works fine for heat, propane runs the rangetop in the kitchen for cooking, kerosene lamps are fine for most things and we have Coleman and electric lanterns for when bright light is necessary, 8-10 gallons of potable water always in storage in the pantry, and buckets from the creek for flushing toilets.

The internet service and computer go down...but that's not all bad :).

Nice to be back just the same.

Welcome back!

I always enjoy power loss days. My biggest concern's my sump pump. Been meaning to get a generator to run that and my fridge, but I never seem to get to it. I'm fine with oil lamps, candles, and my woodstove though.

Yesterday started out ok. Let the guys get everything they could with the bucket while I sharpened saws from the day before. The Friday climber asked if he could do the first of the two removals. 90’ish white oak with a semi small drop zone (roadside with lines running diagonally under it). Second limb in and it started raining. A few limbs later and it changed over to a heavy wet snow. Half way through and I was soaked through three layers. I was running ropes. Told the kid there would be no shame in coming down. He decided to finish the tree. We all looked like drowned rats by that time. As miserable as it was being soaked to the bone for a few hours, we all enjoyed it. This kid is progressing very fast but at the same time is actually learning the subtleties of the job, not just the cool stuff.
After work is was daddy/ daughter night with my middle child. Dinner and movies. We’re leaving together to get breakfast soon and then hang out at the arb store while I pick up some more of the order.
n ice ... are you suing radios to coach the new climbers?

We are supposed to lose power mon. and into wed. May not at our house. But most the county. Wind events forecasted.

Truck (4×4) overheated so i thought I found the leak, but just to be sure I dug in. Put in new water pump seals. And sure enough, upon pressure testing, it was where I thought it probably was. Oil cooler bypass and the timing chain cover gasket. So the engine will be slated for a full rebuild since I will need to pull the motor to do the deed. She's sue at over 220,000 towing what she does in these hills. But damn.

Ill park her for now and dig into the 7.3 i have sitting and needing attention. Get that going and then just take my time on the 4x4. It has some stuff I want done to it, might as well strip it down once the engine is out of the way and replace some things.

On the up side. Levi got tools for his birthday. So the afternoon was spent as father and son putting his new master cylinder in, a new tail gate handle and a new brake line from the master to the proportioning valve. Happy kiddo.
Next we do some electrical trouble shooting on a light thats flakey.
Let him drive next door to the shop and back. Coaching his signaling and turns. :)

Last edited:
I screwed up today.
Was riding the ATV through the woods.
Had my gas/oil canister on the "floorboard" in the left side, so my foot was sticking out.
Got too close to a small maple, foot was caught and twisted 180 degrees backwards.
So I'm sitting at home now with the foot elevated, bandaged, slathered in horse liniment and iced.

Feeling stupid!

Last edited:
That knee ok?

Do tell about horse linamint if you care to

Foot is twisted, it seems the knee didn't get it.

Only thing I know about horse liniment is that Margot is a firm believer in it for sprains in horses and old men.

So I let her put some on my leg and foot.

We are supposed to lose power mon. and into wed. May not at our house. But most the county. Wind events forecasted.

Truck (4×4) overheated so i thought I found the leak, but just to be sure I dug in. Put in new water pump seals. And sure enough, upon pressure testing, it was where I thought it probably was. Oil cooler bypass and the timing chain cover gasket. So the engine will be slated for a full rebuild since I will need to pull the motor to do the deed. She's sue at over 220,000 towing what she does in these hills. But damn.

Ill park her for now and dig into the 7.3 i have sitting and needing attention. Get that going and then just take my time on the 4x4. It has some stuff I want done to it, might as well strip it down once the engine is out of the way and replace some things.

On the up side. Levi got tools for his birthday. So the afternoon was spent as father and son putting his new master cylinder in, a new tail gate handle and a new brake line from the master to the propositioning valve. Happy kiddo.
Next we do some electrical trouble shooting on a light thats flakey.
Let him drive next door to the shop and back. Coaching his signaling and turns. :)
This is great father- son time. How old is he now?

Didn't get a whole lot done today. My client postponed Friday til today, but the boss had other plans for me. Turned out it wasn't that much, so I called my client and asked if he could use me today. He said come down, layout LOD, and maybe they'll be ready for some piles.

Didn't get anything done on the LOD. It was for the other side of a bridge that was gonna be staged construction, but they ended up demoing the whole thing. Problem was I didn't have control setup for that. I was busy before, but the couple points I had were protected, so I figured I'd spread control around later. Everything got trashed, so I had to walk a few thousand feet up and down slopes and stuff to figure out how I was gonna set everything up. Got control set, broke for lunch, then walked to the other bridge to see how they were making out. They were ready for some stuff, so I laid out a wingwall and some pile. Have to go back tomorrow after another job to finish cause they had a big cut to make, and had to lay the slope back.

Almost felt like a wasted day, but I got enough done on the important stuff it helped them get ready, and I won't be running around like an idiot tomorrow. Woke up today *really* not in the mood for work. The lameness of today didn't help, but I'm feelin' better about things now. As long as nothing goes wrong, tomorrow should be decent.

Back