How'd it go today?

A magnetic bubble-level attached to the bar has proven to be of use for the initial back cut ... Of course , if one is using a 500i (which flops around like a fresh caught salmon) disregard the above :O

Ah, that looks easier than the scenarios I was running through my head, especially to get the initial placement before hauling it up.

Dave, long may it stand.

Mick, I hear ya loud and clear. But this too shall pass.

I know the feeling Mick. I walked off a job this week and told the customers that I did not feel well. Besides being physically drained, I couldn’t concentrate. Going tomorrow to finish. Been doing small jobs and working with some aspiring climbers.
I might be getting some help as well tomorrow. Climber I’ve been trying to woo to the company is stopping by my house in a few to discuss future employment. Boss has given me the go ahead to do the negotiations.

Guilty. Smashed one of my guys brand new 361. Planted it deep in the ground with a log that went over backwards when the hinge failed. Bought another one for him that evening. Sure did cut into the profits though. Still, better s saw than a person.
That's where 2 590's for the price of 1 361 is handy.

Pretty close Scott. I was thinking how I could do it by myself, or with maybe one other person. I think I could get it up by myself with a wooden derrick type crane, but I'm not sure how I could get it set in position to hoist assuming only access to non lifty machines. I guess you can rent anything, but that isn't an option that comes to mind for me.

Saw this tree today...

20201210_151526.jpg

Had my arms full of gear, so it turned out blurrier than usual. That tree was at least 70' tall and leaning towards that gaping cavity in the base. Couldn't believe it was still standing...

Other day in the woods taking some long hikes with gear. Laid out some property lines around a house I worked at before...

IMG_20201211_104125.jpg

It's a newish house, but it's made from reclaimed stone from a historic house in another county. Lots of neat little touches here and there. It's like craftsmanship from another century. First setup was in the remains of some of the stones...

IMG_20201211_104215.jpg

some interesting stones laying around if you take the time to look...

IMG_20201211_104311.jpg

That's coping cut into granite. You might see it on a building and not give it a whole lot of thought, but how exactly do you cut fine radii in granite?!

Woodpecker tracks in this piece...

IMG_20201211_104254.jpg

Our birds are tough out this way. I wonder why there's rows of pecker tracks?

Back