How'd it go today?

I upgraded the apprentice to a new MS500i tdsay.
His MS462 is completely blown to pieces.
He felled a codominant beech, one top got hung up on another tree, broke off and came straight back at him.
He survived, but his saw sure didn't.
Wish I had brought my camera with me, rarely have I seen a saw so dead.
There were pieces thrown 20 feet away.

When a beech top as thick around as I am get torn off from 30 feet up, it has some force when it lands.

He was all upset about having smashed the saw.
2 weeks ago he had a log roll on it, which meant an expensive repair.

When I had been over to his tree and seen what had happened, I told him that I didn't give a shit about the saw, I almost had to find me another apprentice.

Yup, even us non-loggers smoosh one now and then. Actually was pulling a tree out of another 20200401_144009.jpg tree when the other tree fell on the saw.

We all have a tree smash a saw now and again.
Logging is dangerous work.
Guilty. Smashed one of my guys brand new 361. Planted it deep in the ground with a log that went over backwards when the hinge failed. Bought another one for him that evening. Sure did cut into the profits though. Still, better s saw than a person.

Got a new pair of rope boots today. Maybe...

20201208_135207.jpg

I was working in a swamp, and lost the heel to one of my boots. I think it came off when I was walking a downed locust. I pulled the other heel off so they were equal. Pisses me off, but maybe they'll make good rope climbing boots. Should be better for footlocking anyway. Otherwise, it was a routine day. Getting ready to leave the office, and pickup the birch I bucked last week.

Those are similar soles to the first two pair of combat boots I was issued. Not great for mud but you’ll never have to scrape the waffle out with a stick lol.

Good day. Woke up this morning, and it was 52° at the thermostat. Probably a couple degrees cooler in the bedroom, and a couple warmer in the stove room. Chilly and overcast today. Was working in an eastern hardwood forest, and they're some of the loveliest forests of all. Near the fall line, so nice rocks popup on the ridges...

IMG_20201209_111514.jpg

Kicked my ass a bit hauling my gear through the woods. Got to use my belt prusik and some pull tape I keep in the gun case to haul a young gum(I think) out of the line of sight. Always pays to be prepared ;^)

Yesterday, I had a job for a landscaper on a camp full of travel trailers, tents, mobilhomes. There are (were) plenty of trees, but people prefers the sun and the falling leafs are sooo annoying, plus the risk of the dead limbs punching holes in the weathered canvas and plastics, smashing the metal roof of the small garden sheds...The trees have a hard time on this lot. Many have been pruned, more or less heavily and are in bad shape. Each year, some are dying, pruned or not.
This time I had to take down a dead spruce and a big ash. The lanscaper told me "she's still green, so you wouldn't have a problem to climb it, you have one day to do both".
No problem for the spruce, even if the weather is a bit windy and freezy. But for the owner, the second one is a maple, dead since last year ! Soo.... Looking at it, cracked bark with many soot like areas, others fungi along the limbs. Not so bad though ( the twigs are still there), but not really trusty for a heavy rigging.
Oh ! and the maple is actually a beech !:big-rolling:
Time to modify a tad the work plan. And run.
I had to avoid three edges, two travel trailers with canvas shelters and a new plastic garden shed. The limbs were like glass and just pop off, zero hinge capability. I surely wouldn't like to climb it after an other year. I dropped some limbs in an hopefully clear area, and self rigged the majority with just my slings. Added a careful planing of the cuts to reduce the falling debris and all went well. And in time. Pfew !

To end the day, the owner asked me my advice about three dead topped birches.
Well, topped, yes; dead, no by the look of the twigs and buds, and finally that's oaks in my book !:big-laugh:

We've been getting my old shop moved into my new shop, jesus I hate moving, ahead of the first major snow fall this weekend. Which started out this AM 3-5" then 6-11" and is now a trace to one inch. Fugging weather! Oh well it needs to be done anyways.

Knackered today, my third man, the occasional guy who comes in a couple of times a week is scared of COVID (wife is a cancer survivor) so I’ve been sharing too much of the dragging and chipping, you know the scenario, have to come down from the tree to help my groundy, that shit gets tiring after a few weeks.

I am making lots of little mistakes in the tree and on the ground.

Not good.
Can you take the weekend of, sit in front of the fire with some wine and recharge your batteries?

Yeah, probably.
Age is catching up with me though.
Climbing is hard work, arms felt like noodles today, ran over a thing on the loader and punctured the tyre.

This was a thing I knew was there and avoided 20 times moving logs, then I forgot it and pop!
That’s mental fatigue more than physical.

Back