How'd it go today?

If you stay active: "Age-related muscle loss, called sarcopenia, is a natural part of aging. After age 30, you begin to lose as much as 3% to 5% per decade."

If you are sedentary that figure jumps to closer to an average of 10%.

So, keep moving!!

If I could pick any age to be, it would be 25. I wasn't at maximum strength, but my flexibility and agility were about peak, and it was before I had back issues.

My creation today...

20201106_141212.jpg
I lost my last pencil that had a clip on it I scavenged from a mechanical pencil, and I really like having a clip. I got this one off a dead pen, but it was a little too big. I made a constrictor with decored paracord, and brought the ends down in a square knot, so it can't slide up or down. Rustic... :^P

Did a couple easy jobs, and transferred more of my crap to the F150. Dunno if/when I'll get my truck back. The F150 has old car smell. Love that. Much better than new car smell. Smells like oil, grease, and rotten vinyl. Drives like shit, and it's gonna need new tires if I'm driving it in the winter. Had to add 2qt oil cause the boss doesn't take care of shit, and knocked a bunch of stuff out of the air filter. I have to see how quickly it uses oil...

Hot today, and forecast is more awful weather at least into next week. This fall sucks...

I had a surprice today.
Richard, my partner, called yesterday and asked if we could meet up at my place and look at what jobs we each have sceduled.
Said he was afraid, we were overbooking the remains of the year.
Turned out, he was just making sure I was home.
One of our old apprentices Anders, who was with us in California climbing Serquoias and Redwoods in 09 and 11 hasn't been around for 8 years.
He had called Richard and said that he was in our part of the country today, and would we meet up.
So the both of them showed up together.
That was great.
We were retelling old stories and catching up all afternoon.

Last edited:
Up to a year, if it comes back at all.
I plan to grab a saw monday and do some logging, see how that comes out.

I was still in bed this morning, and already had a shitty day at 3:30am. I dreamed I was having a really irritating day at work. I get home, and the irritating neighbor has a tree company over to prune the red maple he asked me to cut a branch off of a couple times. They have a crane out there, and at least a half dozen workers... Keep in mind this is a little red maple. A half skilled child could easily free climb to the top :^D One of the guys is lanyarded in, makes a cut, and branch peels down ripping out half of the stem. Magic dream time happens, and my tree is reduced to a bunch of rounds laying on the ground, and I wakeup pissed off. Took me awhile to get back to sleep... :^S

I took two strokes on the depth gauges, and three in the gullet. You'd think a new chain wouldn't need sharpening. :/: I can drop the dg more later, just don't want it too grabby.

If I’m cleaning it up, I’m taking it down in a way to facilitate faster clean up. If I’m leaving on-site, I get it down the fastest/safest way possible.

Regarding what Mick said, I won’t leave anything that could, in itself cause injury to whomever is cutting it up. On floppers, I cut all limbs sticking up, and any underneath that are under tension.

^^^ This.

Looked at a job this morning. Huge poplar, probably 5’dbh bit of decay on back side and growing on a stream . Neighbor is worried it could crush their house which is a very real possibility. They have been pestering the very old neighbor to have it taken down. I explained I would need to set 2 outriggers from the crane on their property, 5 feet off the road to do it. They said absolutely not and they don’t want so much as a twig falling on their property even though over half the canopy is over their property. I told the old lady I would draft a letter stating that neighbor would not allow us access so the tree can’t be done.
What the frig is wrong with people?

Up to a year, if it comes back at all.
I plan to grab a saw monday and do some logging, see how that comes out.
Remember, with adrenaline pumping and focus on the work steps in front of you, it can be ready to overlook an impact, and injury you can't feel.

My old neighbor didn't know he had crepitus from a broken bone in his ankle. Back surgery gone wrong, and a numb leg. The doctor knew before the X-ray.

Looked at a job this morning. Huge poplar, probably 5’dbh bit of decay on back side and growing on a stream . Neighbor is worried it could crush their house which is a very real possibility. They have been pestering the very old neighbor to have it taken down. I explained I would need to set 2 outriggers from the crane on their property, 5 feet off the road to do it. They said absolutely not and they don’t want so much as a twig falling on their property even though over half the canopy is over their property. I told the old lady I would draft a letter stating that neighbor would not allow us access so the tree can’t be done.
What the frig is wrong with people?
Be glad you're not them. Sounds like a tough life, being such a pain in the ass to everyone. How could people like that have any friends with having?!

Back