How'd it go today?

Seeing those trunks, my mind goes back to my own days of large trees day-after-day - those days are long over now. Bittersweet memories and I miss the younger, stronger body I had then.

I remember well - by the sixth day of hauling ass it was about all I could do to eat and drag myself to bed; so tired it felt like I might stop breathing as the effort of breathing seemed too much. Work has become so much more mechanized now. Back in the day we did so much more by grunt and grit.
Of course helping out with crane jobs with friends now it's getting lifted into the tree by the crane, or it's running the tractor, snagging a top with the tip of the forks, and hauling it to the chipper - and it is hardly the workout I need to stay in shape.

Arthritic joints and loss of muscle mass. We lose 10% of our lean muscle mass each decade, although you can slow that by regular exercise.

Each decade starting when? I'm still getting stronger. This year I noticed my strength was finally where I wanted it to be. I thought it would never get there.

What's always entertaining is when the client says that he/she has friends who will take the wood so "please leave it on the side". The friend shows up, tries to get a few rounds in an SUV and never shows up again. Then I get a text or an email asking to come back and remove the wood.

Price it in the bid, so you get paid to come back. This is the price if I leave everything here where it lands, here is the price for me to chip brush, here is the price for me to move the wood, and here is the price to haul it away. That way they can see each step monetized for them, and usually start getting an understanding of how much work dealing with tens of thousands of pounds actually is. I've found doing that eliminates the bullshit with the "cost conscious" and diy customers, and leads to everyone being happy after it's done. I also don't sugar coat how much bucking and moving wood by hand sucks, and it's usually the best to pay me to do it. That usually either steels their resolve or makes them understand their folly.

Price it in the bid, so you get paid to come back. This is the price if I leave everything here where it lands, here is the price for me to chip brush, here is the price for me to move the wood, and here is the price to haul it away. That way they can see each step monetized for them, and usually start getting an understanding of how much work dealing with tens of thousands of pounds actually is. I've found doing that eliminates the bullshit with the "cost conscious" and diy customers, and leads to everyone being happy after it's done. I also don't sugar coat how much bucking and moving wood by hand sucks, and it's usually the best to pay me to do it. That usually either steels their resolve or makes them understand their folly.
Oh yeah. They always have several options. I am not pushy about any of them. They just decide and we go forward with whatever they want.

I’ve priced it to drop/leave and to take down/clean up. Several times the customer opted for leave it, then, after seeing the mess, tried to opt for the clean up. I just smile and say, “That ship has sailed....”

It’s a minefield and you have to be clear what is going to happen.

Drop and leave ok, but you can’t really leave the debris in a dangerous state, ie 20ft high branches stuck in the air ready to drop on a client and his supermarket chainsaw.

Drop and move is a no-no, if I’m touching it once it’s on the ground I might as well process it for a few extra quid.

As Scott says, people who change their mind after seeing days of work ahead of them after opting for no clear up are going to be disappointed.

They’ll only see me driving off waving goodbye with their chèque.

Drop/leave wood-get paid or Drop buck to length get paid or finally Drop/process into firewood in a pile and get paid ... No remove wood or clean-up ... Found thru trial/error this works best for me and the customer “saves $” by doing own cleanup and stacking ymmv

If I’m cleaning it up, I’m taking it down in a way to facilitate faster clean up. If I’m leaving on-site, I get it down the fastest/safest way possible.

Regarding what Mick said, I won’t leave anything that could, in itself cause injury to whomever is cutting it up. On floppers, I cut all limbs sticking up, and any underneath that are under tension.

I assume you have the iron to to clean up a mess like that in only a few minutes tho right? I know micks loader would make short work of just about anything. I usually don't have the room, so I'll usually at least push them to let me do the brush, and then when I'm in the trunk wood i can just let it pile up. Talking them into me chipping brush is usually no problem at all, but i run a cnd where you guys likely have much larger chippers that can simply eat almost everything.....

If a customer wants the tree removed and it’s good hardwood (red oak , sugar maple , hickory etc) I will buck and take it home and split for sale when seasoned or personal use providing its able to be moved by man power as I am not fortunate enough to own a loader like our ami Mick! although many hand tools have been fabricated to make the job easier and faster ... As I try and stay a few years ahead on firewood (preferably 3yrs) this is seldom the case ... It seems to work out best for me to drop/buck/split into a pile get paid and let the customer cleanup and stack wherever they desire ... your mileage may vary

Back