How'd it go today?

That was for 24 valve, not common rail. In Dodge/Cummins speak a 24 valve is 98.5-02. CR is 03 forward. $3,300 sounds high for a full set, but I haven't done much research on them lately.

White smoke should be normal from a cold engine, maybe heat the block or something? It might also be from a lean mixture or something. I remember my brother telling me the fuel pump in his truck needs to be turned up after straight piping it, and it will blow a little bit of whitish smoke if you floor it, while most would puff black.

White smoke on startup when it's cold is no big deal at all, I would consider that normal because condensation will cause that. So will burning atf. Is it just on startup? Are you running cetane booster or fuel treatment yet? Is the truck hard starting? Is it deleted?

Pretty good day. Did my normal job, then dead wooded one of the pines by the office. It was the hardest, or second hardest of the group due to having the service lines go right by it. I didn't do the whole tree, but I got up 25'-30', and got everything that threatened the service lines. My big triumph was cutting a branch over the the lines, and having it roll off clearing the lines on the way down. Went exactly per plan. Not a big deal for you all, but I'll take my victories as they come. I figure I redeemed 60% of my terribad apple fell the other week. Only 40% to go :^D

Footlocking went really well. Slow, but very well. Found my aircraft/tank combat boots make excellent footlocking boots. A shame they're 90% worn out. Got to use the grapnel to unstick a couple hung branches, and my new solid sideplate pulley works well with my setup. Orange/ rope is a little slippery, but good rope. Felt pretty comfortable in the tree, but don't tell Butch I left some stubs. I used them to stand on, and work my way around the tree. Kind of a crutch I guess, but I'll work on not using them. They were all removed on the way down.

Tried out my new fall arrest harness after I finished. Not super comfortable, but it works. I might be able to improve that with some strap adjustment. Three more trees to do when I get the time. Looking forward to it :^)

Reactions: DMc
You can leave stubs if they serve a purpose, but if not they are only something to snag lines and rigged branches on, and can cause serious injuries if you swing into them from a fall.

Helped a friend who had back surgery by moving a ton of material and equipment around his shop; then used walk-behind blower to clean up behind the shop, and uncover a 20 ft pick I wanted to borrow to work on my shop. Brought it home, power-washed it and it dried quickly in the sun, so I set it between two ladders.
Went to cut the grass. Stopped the riding mower to empty the collection bags (mostly leaves this time of year) and the engine started to burn... the dang mice had already moved in for the winter and their soft, fluffy nest padding was good tinder! I put it out, but now it won't start. Likely burnt through some wires. Used the battery up on the electric mower;, then had to rebuild the carb on the Honda HR215 mower to get it to run in order to finish up. Karen's comment when I came in, "Three mowers to cut one lawn?"

My reward: Back to finishing drywall tomorrow...

Tough day Pat, and your reward sucks :^D Oh well. You'll be rewarded when it's done :^)

edit:
Oh, after wrote the "my day" post, I had adventures with the engineer. I heard him talking on the phone to /someone/, and I hear TeamViewer get mentioned. I immediately become concerned, and start listening in a bit. After awhile, I hear stuff about "online banking", and my WTF!? meter pegged. I go in and ask him what's up, and he gives a confusing explanation of canceling some service he had for his home computer, and I tell him there's no good reason to install TeamViewer on the office computer. He tells the guy on the phone he screwed up with the IT guy, and after the mouse was moving around the screen a bit, he hangs up. I /think/ I got the stuff off the computer, but I'll have to check in the morning. He gets in late, and stays late, so I didn't want to interrupt his work. Hopefully we aren't pwned...

Last edited:
You can leave stubs if they serve a purpose, but if not they are only something to snag lines and rigged branches on, and can cause serious injuries if you swing into them from a fall.
Flat, and as few and short as possible, ideally, none.

Sitting in the Cozy Corner, in my shop, with D, waiting for her Zoom viola lesson.

I thought the thermostat in the electric heater only worked on a 9 hour timer, but came in on a cool and rainy day to a warm room!

Remember how fun coloring with markers was?

Attachments

• 16046169069791366598865.jpg
    16046169069791366598865.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
White smoke on startup when it's cold is no big deal at all, I would consider that normal because condensation will cause that. So will burning atf. Is it just on startup? Are you running cetane booster or fuel treatment yet? Is the truck hard starting? Is it deleted?
It starts fairly easily but shudders and smokes. And today a horrible noise that went away but I have a sinking feeling it may be terminal. Oh and started leaking oil. Plus my trailer tire has a screw in it. I refer you to my post in the joke forum. I have not run any cetane booster in a while.

Our boy has written the bible re proper use of stubs. And working around wires? Lol MAD.

Stunning sky. What do your kids think of the farm life way out there Jim? Think they'll keep going with the farm?

Doubles the skinny rope for better grip. Passes a large limb with circus move

Back