How'd it go today?

160k on commom rail injectors is about the end of their life, so I've heard. I bought a set of new Bosch motorhome spec injectors for my 24 valve. $330 for six. I think the CR ones are about that each.

I've had awesome results adding ATF to my diesel fuel to help quiet down tapping injectors. In my old bucket truck I ran my Cat 3126 over 18,000 hours and never pulled the injectors. Had to add some ATF every 4th or 5th tank of fuel though.

Wife’s little 2003 1st Generation Prius is throwing a P0171 DTC (too lean, bank one).
At 256,000 miles it could be anything. First cleaned the mass airflow meter, still pops up the CEL. Next checked fuel pump pressure, which is within normal limits. No apparent leaks on throttle body or manifold, so maybe too much O2/ too little fuel is a bad injector? Automotive diagnostics is an interesting pastime!

I appreciate the suggestions. WD-40 technique: done that - why I said ‘no apparent leaks around throttle body or intake’. Clear the CEL and it stays clear till the first uphill/ engine strain - that’s why it seemed like fuel pump or perhaps injector ( demanding more fuel than can deliver?). Anyway just chucked a bottle of injector cleaner in it; if that’s no help I’ll look further.

My overstrike protector was a failure...

IMG_20201104_105028.jpg
IMG_20201104_105056.jpg

I'll fix this with good old fashioned duct tape, and order a new handle. I might give stig's epoxied cord wrap a try the next time. Problem with this is the cheeks aren't that wide on the head, so you can bury the blade, and it won't necessarily create enough clearance for the handle. I also might be pushing it beyond design specs. It's only a light axe, and not a full splitting maul.

Asbuilt a swale today, and I'm looking around the farm for stuff to do. I have a bunch of brushcutter work I could do, but don't know if I feel like running it today. Wish I brought my climbing gear. I could use that to dead wood some pines, and remove a broken poplar limb that got hit when the big piece came down. Would also give me a chance to tryout the new harness. I'll probably bring it tomorrow.

Yea, I noticed that too :^/

Transmission is wonky in the truck. Lost reverse, and neutral is a drive gear now. Guess it'll have to get looked at. Might be the end...

Intake gasket Gary. A mech with a smoke machine can check. If it was a Chevy with a 5.3 I’d almost guarantee that is the issue. Tends to happen with those

I got some power steering lines to change on the F250. This is gonna suck. Hopefully the cheapo parts store’s crows foot wrenches work ok.

• Sad
Reactions: Raj
My overstrike protector was a failure...

View attachment 104670
View attachment 104671

I'll fix this with good old fashioned duct tape, and order a new handle. I might give stig's epoxied cord wrap a try the next time. Problem with this is the cheeks aren't that wide on the head, so you can bury the blade, and it won't necessarily create enough clearance for the handle. I also might be pushing it beyond design specs. It's only a light axe, and not a full splitting maul.

Asbuilt a swale today, and I'm looking around the farm for stuff to do. I have a bunch of brushcutter work I could do, but don't know if I feel like running it today. Wish I brought my climbing gear. I could use that to dead wood some pines, and remove a broken poplar limb that got hit when the big piece came down. Would also give me a chance to tryout the new harness. I'll probably bring it tomorrow.
You are supposed to hit the wood with the axe blade not the wooden handle ! :D ... Some flat stock from tractor supply cut with snips molded around the handle and then finished with paracord (soak in water beforehand) might be a viable (and frugal) option ... I dip mine in wax

Back