How'd it go today?

No wet suit for me, yesterday. Just wading.

I'm buying one, well two, for D and me

I'm skinny ( I sink, don't float unless my lungs are full full) and get cold silly-easily in cold water.

That's some serious felling Stig. Decayed ash trees with dead top should scare the apprentice- it shows he understands his task well. How tall were they - 30m?

Didn't do much today. Started with laundry and went grocery shopping. Boss called me while I was at the store asking how to remove the wires from the fuel relay. Bobcat wouldn't start. I texted him later, and he said he got it going. If that doesn't straighten out, it isn't terribly inconvenient adding "disconnect relay" to the starting procedure.

Got my amazon order today. An fm transmitter for the truck I'm pretty stoked about, and a couple batteries for some old school Dewalt tools I found in a container. They seem to work, but the batteries with them were shot. I always look for treasure in jobsite containers, and I saw the case in one. I figured it was just a case, which is pretty useful on its own, but it had a drill, a circular saw, and a flashlight inside. Looking forward to trying everything out with full(I hope. The batteries are Chinese) power.

Super Duper Fantastic Day®! Went to a new job in PA, and when I left, I stopped by the saw shop to see what was going on, and hopefully get a couple rim sprockets. They were no longer listed on Stihl's site, so I didn't know what was going on there. I asked, and it was news to him. He's open, and business as usual. I couldn't be happier. It's the only real saw shop I know of, and he doesn't charge list for everything. Long live AK Saw Shop!

I also found out I have a Dewalt sabre saw. Forgot that was in the box I found too :^D

Just looked out back, and it appears I'm the proud new owner of a big ass watermelon beachball...

IMG_20200728_154601.jpg

:^D

Kids next door I guess. You can see Spot in the upper right. She's one of cats I feed in the morning. She's pretty nice. The other one's Blackie. He's afraid of everything, but still comes for food. Asbuilt some stormwater for a couple hours this morning, installed a garage door sprocket for the boss, and played on the computer. I don't mind the slack time, but I wish it were cooler so I could have some fun. I'm gonna be pissed if winter comes, and work gets too busy for my fun extra work.

I'm working in the house of my daughter. One beam along the wall holding the wood floor lays on 3 stones protruding out of the wall. One was clearly showing signs of early crumbling. I lifted a little the beam with some props to see what's going on. And discovered that the third one was moving a bit. It turned out that the stones were held in in wall by just the plaster of the surface, nothing inside.
A new evidence of the nice job made by the previous owner. Thanks for all the needed work which we didn't see at first !
The stone in the midle seems sturdy until now, so I debate if I mess with it or live it as is.

• Sad
Reactions: Raj
Well, having done this work for the last 3 years on and off, it was bound to finally happen; I slipped/fell!!!!....😯😯😯
First the vitals, I'm okay. Slid down a skinny spar about 30 ft. I was spiking, folded over and smacked my head.
Had the helmet on (of course), but still got knocked unconscious. Took an ambulance ride to the hospital, and got
scraped up real bad on the left arm, chest and chin. Was working one of my brother's accounts, and my son was
on site, so he got his uncle over ASAP to help the brush monkeys get the trucks loaded and driven back to my yard
(16 mi away).

So what happened? Well, I had to spike up the 60+ ft skinny piece of shit that had a tiny drop zone and had limbs
tangled up above into the next tree to come down (so trying to fall it would have left it hung up, and a potential bomb
for the condos 12-20 ft. away. A major no-no hitting those). I figured I'd go up about 25-30ft. where it still had some meat,
put a tag line above me where the brush monkeys could pull it out and away from me as I cut it at 30 ft., and have it drop
straight down next to me (the limbs up above were no worry and were away from me anyway).

Anyway, as I get up to the point I figure is "don't go further, numbnutz!!!", the bark under my spikes starts peeling off and I'm
losing my left foot. I was about to call down to my brush monkeys to send up the false crotch to set climbing position, and
before it was requested, I completely lost my left foot and spun around to the under-lean of the spar. I gashed my spikes in to get
good holding, turned around to look around, and that's the last I remember.

My son told me the gory details later, and the 2 cute young OD's made me feel manly in the ER.... ;)

Last edited:
Glad you're relatively ok. No concussion or anything? Take it easy in the heat over the coming days. It might exacerbate your head injury.

Damn, my big fear in spikes, swinging around to the under- side and down. That's why I stay almost always on the under-side. I can still slide down as everybody, but at least I avoid the setting in motion and the speed gathering.
I hope you recover soon. Be carefull to move slowly the next days to be nice to your brain. I bet he want some mend time after such a shock.

How old's this place Marc? Sounds like it just needs some new stones fitted.
It's hard to tell how old it is, more of hundred for sure. It's a part added to an ancient farm building, made for utility purpose (understand as low cost construction). The last use when the farm was still running was a storage room for all the horse's furnitures. Then the last owner made some amenagements to have a secondary apartment. As we found finally, the walls are made with small stones embeded with dirt and plaster, even not enough of both to fill completly the space in the middle. The two floors and the roof are made with reclaiming wood. One floor is in bad shape and I'm working on replacing it. and I'm putting together a frame under the overloaded roof's beams (I did saw this one).
That should become a nice home when all will be done.
The wood work is on its way, still a lot to do, but now two of the walls themselves worry me.

Dang. Close call BG. Rest up and heal up. Then saddle up. When i do pines, my adj FC
automatically gets hung on my saddle. Most spars anyway. Even though i am usualky SRT.

So two ugly leaning drop and walks today and started off to the next stop. Made the turn onto the road and it sounded like i was dragging part of a fence.
Shut her down and found the fan hitting the shroud. Called for a ride and a tow. They telk me 4pm or tomorrow. Told them unacceptable. Truck load of gear and mini in tow. HOs wife sees us. Calls her hubby. He shows up to haul gear and trailer to his place where we were headed. I called the rental yard and rented an equipment trailer. Katy took me to the shop and i took off in the F350. Picked up tge trailer, picked up Rob and then loaded and hauled the 4x4 to the shop. Returned the trailer, bought groceries and the parts and was home by 3:30. FU towing guy.
So, start pulling radiator and the like oout, little ball bearings are falling out of the pump.... :|:
Probably not a good sign :lol:
Man, when she gave it up, she damn near went all the way.
O Reillys sent me a 20.00 coupon as i went to pick up the new pump on my way home :thumbup:

Had a lift lined up after work to finally remove the dead soft maple, moving right along, go down to refuel saw and then nothing. No controls at all from the basket. 3 tenths of an hour was all the damn jlg pos lasted. Yes one of the super crappy ones that don't articulate, only go up, down, swing, and boom out (the booms don't move independently). Needless to say I'm not very happy right now. Homeowner very understanding, but i can't catch a break. New jobsite tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Was it a rental, or just one you borrowed? I guess it doesn't matter much, but a rental would bother me more.

Back