How'd it go today?

Very warm today in CT. Safely brought down logs and avoided drama down the slope. Dragging the brush down the slope was effortless. Watching the logs go down was entertaining.

Attachments

• 20200720_112244.jpg
    20200720_112244.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200720_113528.jpg
    20200720_113528.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
The truck is packed with saws, fuel, sleeping bags and even a refrigerator to keep the stuff we eat for lunch, cool.
Be going south tomorrow to slay some big Ash trees ( I've packed the MS880 :D )
We are only going for 3 days, then we'll go back next week and finish up.
Good thing for me, I think this will be hell on this old logger, so having a weekend to rest up will help.

Nordfeld castle is my favourite place to log.
I get on really well with the owners.
The " Lady of the manor" ( who runs 150 sheep, no lady, her) cooks for us every day.
We eat with the owners.
They live alone since the kids have gone, and make no secret of the fact, that they enjoy the company.
I have that in common with the guy, that we have both travelled extensively, hitchhiking around the World in our youth, so after the youngsters have taken themselves to bed, we usually sit up and tell tall tales over coffee and Cognac.
Then it is up at 4 AM next morning to beat the heat.

What could be better.
I just hope my crippled hand is up to the task.

Also, it looks like cool weather :)

See y'all in a whle.

Deep cleaned the chicken coop after goats lived in it following a batch of birds. Next batch of meat birds on the way. Woof, hot and humid day without being in a small dusty house scrubbing shit.

Canopy raise on a nice cedar for a builder I've worked for, previously, clearing lots.
New family moved in.

I left the homeowners a card. It will last a couple years, at least, but I wouldn't bet as long as the homeowners are hoping.

90*, new neighborhood, little shade, lots of sun on asphalt.

My rope tail flicked of something, and I knicked it on the spin down...Sloppy.

Otherwise, the usual.

Working on a tree house at home.
Headed back out in a minute.

Average day. Hot as hell, but I wasn't busting my ass or anything. Went back to the office for lunch, and when I went to leave, there was a little preying mantis in my truck staring at me from the console. I was gonna leave him there, but figured it likely wouldn't end well for him. Put my hand down, he climbed on, and I walked him to the butterfly bush, and deposited him.

Funny how it's different than a spider. Both are ferocious predators, both are funny looking, but there's zero chance I'd let a spider walk on me, or carry one anywhere aside from outside as quick as possible.

a little preying mantis in my truck staring at me from the console. I was gonna leave him there, but figured it likely wouldn't end well for him. Put my hand down, he climbed on, and I walked him to the butterfly bush, and deposited him.

Well done sir

The truck is packed with saws, fuel, sleeping bags and even a refrigerator to keep the stuff we eat for lunch, cool.
Be going south tomorrow to slay some big Ash trees ( I've packed the MS880 :D )
We are only going for 3 days, then we'll go back next week and finish up.
Good thing for me, I think this will be hell on this old logger, so having a weekend to rest up will help.

Nordfeld castle is my favourite place to log.
I get on really well with the owners.
The " Lady of the manor" ( who runs 150 sheep, no lady, her) cooks for us every day.
We eat with the owners.
They live alone since the kids have gone, and make no secret of the fact, that they enjoy the company.
I have that in common with the guy, that we have both travelled extensively, hitchhiking around the World in our youth, so after the youngsters have taken themselves to bed, we usually sit up and tell tall tales over coffee and Cognac.
Then it is up at 4 AM next morning to beat the heat.

What could be better.
I just hope my crippled hand is up to the task.

Also, it looks like cool weather :)

See y'all in a whle.
I hope that 880 is sporting a short bar or i’ll Be very disappointed in you!🤣🤣 hope it goes well👍

Third day of a family vacation. My brother took Monday, the wives took last night, it’s my turn and I’m choosing to day drink. Started off with kegs and eggs. Heading over to a lake soon so my day will be interrupted but I’ll survive. Think I’m gonna work on planning the next vacation when we get back from this trip. I’ll post some pics once they get sent to me. My role Is to carry things when we go out and worry about the kids when we go hiking. Everyone else is scared of poison ivy. I’m trying to keep the kids away from the 50’ cliffs that the trails run along. Came across a huge cottonweed yesterday. Estimating 6’ diameter and 120’ tall. I’ve lost count of all the fun climbs that we’ve encountered. That’s just the trees. Add in all the rocks, cliffs, and caves; my mind is on overload and I’m kicking myself for not bringing gear.

Another normal day. I got to use my saw with the rope wrapped handle a bit. I'm super happy with the rope wrap. It's kinda fugly, but really comfortable in-hand. The cutouts for the stock handle gives the rope contour, so it feels secure, and the polypro has just enough give for comfort without squishiness.

The scabbard remains to be seen. Specifically for this saw, it has to be lashed down to something because it's too light, and the saw handle flips it over. The saw blade also pulls out sawdust every time it's unsheathed. There's only so much sawdust in there before it disappears :^D I like it, but I don't think it's acceptable for professional use. I'm gonna do something different for the long blade.

Already clipped the eye off. Can’t seem to get it to poke through the other side. I think I have a brand new blade on a utility knife in my vehicle. Might sterilize it and slice. It’s barbed but also only a bluegill hook. Tiny damn thing.

Had a local tree co. take out three trees at the course a couple days ago.
Guess who gets the cleanup...
Would be nice if they hadn't dumped all the big wood on top of the brush...:X
Should have the second of the smaller ones done tomorrow.
I still am doing all my regular job there so only spending 3 hours or so per day on this project...

Already clipped the eye off. Can’t seem to get it to poke through the other side. I think I have a brand new blade on a utility knife in my vehicle. Might sterilize it and slice. It’s barbed but also only a bluegill hook. Tiny damn thing.

Wimp :D.

Needle nosed pliers on the hook shank, a wide spread second set of pliers/scissors/secateurs held tightly down to pin the position firmly against the bone/restrain as much movement of skin and muscle as possible; fourth shot of whiskey per Jerry's advice, spin that eff'er through and out. Be brave.

Sucks. You need not ask me how I know :D.

Last edited:
Back