How'd it go today?

Worked a,quick job and went to Mammoth Pool. Took the kids swimming in the river ( upper San Joaquin) that feeds the lake. I took my fly rod and caught a trout.
My dad got home from the hospital.
Good day. :)

Attachments

• 20200718_133855.jpg
    20200718_133855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200718_133919.jpg
    20200718_133919.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1595129156765.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595129156765.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 12
Worked 8 this am, did a bid, and now, on the hottest day so far this year (110 heat index) i decided to do a job busting up some small stumps by hand :lol: I'm using my big right angle drill and a 2.5 inch auger bit, and then finishing with an ax. It's a miserable job, but it works surprisingly well! I've found if you go in from the side angling down, it hogs out wood rather than splitting as bad. I could use an extension, so I'll get that next time, but I'm gonna call it a win. Cooling off in my truck for a bit before i finish the last one.
Drill the holes, fill with diesel, let soak in, dump a bag of charcoal, light and walk away.

Last edited:
Met up with a British mate who lives in Oslo yesterday. He is up in Lofoten with his missus and two kids. Had a great walk in the morning and he wanted to do some bouldering. His guide book said there was some at a stunning beach I have visited every time I have been up this way. Place is called Uttakliev. He did some pretty decent boulders 7. A or B. Can’t remember exactly.

I ended up pitching a tent and chilling or the evening with Ia . Luckily, I have a decent tent and we pitched it well. I woke up at 4am to commotion and the wind had picked up and had blown a few tents sideways, broken poles and stuff everywhere. People were packing up as it was pretty wild. I just made sure my pegs were in and grabbed a few large rocks and laid them down for backup. :)

Ear plugs in and back to kip.

EE159CB4-8D91-4C15-B1E5-83D99DB40704.jpeg 2D06C2F5-F4CD-4E94-A912-EAF68E61BBBA.jpeg 6EFF9912-B9CE-4C8D-8A4A-1CFFB9001FC1.jpeg

Drill the files, fill with diesel, let soak in, dump a bag of charcoal, light and walk away.

Customers house in city, back yard no access, had another company look at it and their grinder wouldn't fit, so i got it. Drill and ax, sweat, and they were small, biggest was maybe 7 inches. Not ideal, but also kinda proved that an auger is viable.... pending project..

Boss just called, and said he had a dentist appt tomorrow, and wouldn't be in til ~10:30. Said I could come in and get some work done then, or stay home. I took the sane option of course, and I'll be enjoying my three day weekend :^)

My small bucket truck continues to be a thorn in my side. Had a major hydraulic failure 3 weeks ago, right before my mechanic in Bradenton went on a 2 week vacation. Found a local guy thru a referral who seemed like a great mechanic. Dropped it off with him a week and a half ago. Found out yesterday he got nowhere with it and is giving it back to me, so today I get to pick it up and take it to Bradenton. Now my Bradenton guy is backed up and can't even look at it until next week.

I also have about $5000 of work waiting for the small bucket truck as I can't get to it with the big truck. At this point I'm thinking either fire or water...... :/:

The woman's a whackadoo :^D They're nice enough I guess. The man's a doctor, and seems pretty straightforward, but the woman's a psychopath. They're the ones that got the mate to my old oak removed a month or so ago. In the note, she said she was considering having a portable mill come in to mill it. I think that might be her psycho way of saying "I know you have a mill, and I might want you to mill that big ass oak for me too" :^D
Haven't heard back on surveying the property line which is good, cause I really don't feel like doing it. I'm starting think she was feeling me out for getting that oak milled up. I'm not really interested in doing that for hire. I'm not that good at it, and I don't enjoy it much. I like having the option for making things for my own use, but it really is a drag. Hard work, and tedious. I only like milling on an as-needed basis.

On that note, my boss made an insane request. He wants 18"^2 x 50' beams milled up for a treehouse, or some kind of nonsense :^D He comes up with these half baked ideas, and then doesn't follow through with them. There's one dying white oak that could be a likely candidate, but for the rest(how many exactly??) I'd have to pick some quality trees from the farm, which aren't in great supply.

I assume he wants something halfway rot resistant. If pine's ok, he has a grove that's reaching 'self destruct' age, and I could get a few 50'ers from there. It would still suck milling them though. If he were serious, I'd want to vet the idea before I started work. Dimensional firewood is the worst way to produce it :^D

Biggest thing for me is getting the guide setup for the initial cut, especially on very long runs. If I could just stick a saw in wood and go, it wouldn't be so bad.

I have no idea, and that's one of the problems. I could buy a bunch of rigging gear and work something out I think. The job would get me a lot of nice tree gear that otherwise wouldn't make much sense for me to buy, but it would be a lot of work. The last mill job I did for him making trailerboards, he moved a 21' x 30"?(can't really remember anymore) piece of oak for me with his skid loader, but that thing was maxed out, even just pushing it around, and lifting part at a time.

Back