How'd it go today?

Climbed and stripped out a poison ivy tree this morning. It unveiled an 80’ locust bean pole to remove. I actually started it late yesterday afternoon but the weatherman and radar lied to me. From the first sound of thunder till I hit the ground I’m pretty sure an inch of rain fell. Anyhow. I ascended above the majority of it, ringed it, and slit the back side the whole way down while peeling 180 degrees loose. Cut it off at the bottom and prayed it loose with my bad bar. Choked it to the mini and slowly pulled the whole sheet off. Poor little mini couldn’t even drag the whole thing up the hill. Had to cut it in half. What a nasty morning. Took more time to do that than rig the tree down! I showered with a garden hose and dish soap right after clean up. Luckily I carry an extra set of clothes. All my clothes are in the washer right now. I don’t get it but don’t want anyone else to either.
It was a great day🤬

Well someone has to do it. Crew was appreciative. I sent them to start a day long job after that while I finished cleaning up. At 3:30 they called to tell me I had to get out there and talk to the home owner. These guys blew out that job and the HO wanted to praise them to me. The foreman just walked by me as we were leaving and actually scratched my back.

Irritating, but good recovery Stephen.
Since I am in this deep, I'll probably just go ahead and replace the PS pump and hoses. I was holding out to do the AC this year, but it's on top..
SO far this week. Water pump and grenaded cross drilled and slotted rotor and pads RS on the 4X4. Trailer wheel bearings, races, seals and brakes on the 12 foot dump.
Still need to dig into the 10 foot dump brakes ..... Ahhhhhh the joys. Oh, and the kit came in for the 680 chain brake(missing parts of course. Good thing I saved the old one). The one the guys asked me if they should still run it cause it was smoking and they had hit metal with the 800...... Yeah. Living the life

Bored to death. I can't express how much I hate summer. Work's slow, but there's nothing to do but look outside at the miserable sun, and estimate when I'll have to make the stupid grass shorter again. If the weather was decent, I could...

go hiking
mill an 8"x8" for my boss' brother
climb the pine trees next to the house at work and dead wood them
fell ~6 trees at work, then mill them up
clean up the scrap pile at work, and start burning the trash wood
kill bittersweet
take my locust, apple, and half a cherry down at home
and on, and on...

The only excitement is wondering where Ol' Creepy, my resident spider is hanging out at. She moves around just enough to get me concerned going into my bedroom/bathroom. I don't even have my big ass watermelon beachball anymore. That disappeared sometime last night :^S

:lol: If I'd waited for "perfect" weather to get things done I'd have done nearly nothing through the years. Pretty sure most here could say that...

It's OK...you can admit you had plans for the beach ball today.... ;)

Last edited:
Generic perfect is 50° and overcast. Perfect hiking weather is 28° with snow falling. Perfect falling weather is ~32°. I'm fine with drizzle or snow, so there's some variability with temp there, Perfect climbing weather is 40°-55°, no sun. Right now. I'd settle for anything <70°. I don't need perfect.

I've pondered those for work. I wouldn't use them on my fun time. Heat is anti fun, and a cool vest just a nicer spot in hell, away from the coke furnaces :^D That's really what I'm complaining about. The activities I listed are all fun time, and for the most part, optional. If I did them now at... :checks weather: 90°, they'd no longer be fun, and I'd have one less fun thing to do when the weather gets nice.

I do need to trim the bushes out front, and paint the garage door. Those aren't fun, but I'll wait til it's at least below 90°, especially since I'll be doing it after work, and that's when the sun's on that side of the house. I don't like sweating on weekends; ever really, but especially doing unfun stuff, so I try to get the crappy tasks out of the way after work when I'm already sweaty and miserable.

I'm the opposite, i hate winter. Summer is hot, but that's fine by me. Winter is completely miserable. Summer your joints feel better, sweat is good for you, and hangovers simply evaporate if you chug water. Winter the cold sets in and there's nothing you can do about it.

You can weld nekked but there are "items" that don't like berry burns and by "items" I mean your junk as in frank and beans. lol
I dig colder weather for sure.

Just got back from another 3 days of 10-11 hour days on Møn.
We didn't quite finish the job, they keep coming up with more stuff.

The apprentice had one headleaner break the backstrap due to Armillaria and go over fast while he was still setting his hinge.
He stayed with the tree and cut his way out of what would have been a bad barberchair.
Not to beat my own chest, but someone taught that kid good :D

You can clearly see the broken backstrap in the picture.

Some pics from the green hell.
It was way worse than the pictures show. I could only take pics where the understory was somewhat open.

P1070498.JPG P1070500.JPG P1070502.JPG P1070506.JPG

Since the Covid virus is just a hoax, we decided to brave it and fly to Schweiz for 4 days to visit the family.

Actually, Schweiz has it under control, same as Denmark, so no worries.

I got my flying gear ready:

P1070497.JPG

It was a decent day aside from the god awful 95° heat, but I didn't do much work. Still managed to get 4.5hr in though. Got off work, and went to the tool consignment shop hoping to score a paint scraper, with a stretch goal of getting a sanding disc for a drill. They didn't have the disc, but I got a NOS pack of sandpaper discs originally from MonkeyWards, and a paint scraper for $4 for the lot. Got home, and the package from @stig arrived. Thanks man! That's a cute little grapple, and it looks like it'll be fairly useful. Very compact, so it won't take much room on the saddle. Here's a pic with a Mora Companion for scale...

IMG_20200730_161909.jpg

Yup. Work's been slow since covid, and I haven't had any big construction jobs. Just started a little bridge job in PA, but they're just a couple little country road bridges. Not a long term project, and won't require a whole lot from me. The way to read the above, is housing is slowing down around here, and I suspect private parties are holding on to their money rather than getting their properties surveyed since it typically isn't an "emergency" kind of thing. Fewer fences going up, fewer "I might subdivide somewhere down the line...".

Like I said before, it isn't a big problem for me. I'm fine with money since I don't spend much of it, but it would be nice to be able to use the slack time for fun stuff. I'm fairly fortunate. A lot of people couldn't handle working what amounts to halftime for an extended period.

Yup. Work's been slow since covid, and I haven't had any big construction jobs. Just started a little bridge job in PA, but they're just a couple little country road bridges. Not a long term project, and won't require a whole lot from me. The way to read the above, is housing is slowing down around here, and I suspect private parties are holding on to their money rather than getting their properties surveyed since it typically isn't an "emergency" kind of thing. Fewer fences going up, fewer "I might subdivide somewhere down the line...".

you sir are doing it right!!👍

Like I said before, it isn't a big problem for me. I'm fine with money since I don't spend much of it, but it would be nice to be able to use the slack time for fun stuff. I'm fairly fortunate. A lot of people couldn't handle working what amounts to halftime for an extended period.

That is a neat little grapple. I wonder if it is better than Gerry's. I think his may have had inward bent nails. Outward hooks would seem to work better, and may still slide through brush ok if the shape it right.

Just got back from another 3 days of 10-11 hour days on Møn.
We didn't quite finish the job, they keep coming up with more stuff.

The apprentice had one headleaner break the backstrap due to Armillaria and go over fast while he was still setting his hinge.
He stayed with the tree and cut his way out of what would have been a bad barberchair.
Not to beat my own chest, but someone taught that kid good
:D

You can clearly see the broken backstrap in the picture.

Some pics from the green hell.
It was way worse than the pictures show. I could only take pics where the understory was somewhat open.

View attachment 102372View attachment 102373View attachment 102374View attachment 102375
No shit...that takes not only a well trained young sawyer, but one with the balls to hold it all together in that situation. I've seen a gracious plenty fallers with a goodly amount of experience fail that test.

I know you have it, Stig. I know I do, too. Jerry Beranek might just have it :D. A bunch of the other talented 'Housers do, as well.

But to see it in a youngster, an apprentice...that's a good sign he might just make the grade.

Back