How'd it go today?

I've taken down a flagpole so the owner could paint it before I came back and stood it back up again. I've also taken down a couple ham radio antennas. One of them was almost 50' high, I had to hook onto it at about 35' so that I had enough working height to crane it up over the house before setting it down across the front yard.

Fun stuff having a truck like this.

Pulled the neigbors well 80ft with the bucket so the pump could be replaced. got asked about a firewood contract for a local campground could be a good gig to the tune of 25g a year. Feel a bit unsure as I know the place can go through a lot, and I dont want to take away from the climbing But headed to talk details in the am. Be looking for a wrapping machine if I do it, if anyone has one let me know.

Boring, labor intensive work but I've heard there is a ton of money in prepackaged firewood. The big deal is being able to deliver the volume when needed. You have to plan ahead and be well stocked when the cold snaps hit. Best of luck with it, Joel.

Boring, labor intensive work but I've heard there is a ton of money in prepackaged firewood. The big deal is being able to deliver the volume when needed. You have to plan ahead and be well stocked when the cold snaps hit. Best of luck with it, Joel.

I know of a few folks who process alot here talk to them right after on split loads deliveredto make sure I can keep all the supply needed without having to split it "employ others" so i wont have the time involved in that part. We will see!

One good week to another. I've been working everyday this week. Going on seventh in a row. My brother gave me a steyr 9 mm yesterday and I shot it at bass pro today after work. Its a very nice pistol.

Like this?
Looks nice, never heard of the brand before.

SteyrHahn112.jpg

Steyr was a side shoot of Walther I believe? Nice sturdy pistols and usually very accurate, rather rare in the states though.

How are you set for equipment now Joel? Log splitter, conveyor etc? The wrapping machine new runs around $500, if you look you can find them used for around $200. Tedious doesn't even begin to cover the labor involved, I tried it one year, no thanks!
The plastic bander can work, but you really need an electric one to be fast enough to do it. Price them out:O
Not trying to be discouraging about it, $25k is a nice number, but unless you have a production spliter and a conveyor already, you may dump that the first year in equipment and labor. Just a heads up.

... got asked about a firewood contract for a local campground could be a good gig to the tune of 25g a year. Feel a bit unsure as I know the place can go through a lot, and I dont want to take away from the climbing But headed to talk details in the am. Be looking for a wrapping machine if I do it, if anyone has one let me know.

If you remember the video of the "worlds fastest log splitter", that fellow provides over half the firewood for the state parks in ND. He also built his own wrapping machine. An odd old bird, but very talented.

It is a M1912 Steyr-Hahn.
Very good gun, I've shot a couple of them.

It was originally chambered for a special round , the 9mm steyr, but after anschluss ( when Austria joined with Germany) they rechambered all the military ones for the 9mm para round.
So one chambered for 9mm steyr is a rare find.

Oh Lawdy ,off in a hail of goose chit to try and get that danged chip box loaded up before a winter storm hits .If everything goes good ,a couple hours ,if not who knows .

Mine is a m9-a1 steyr with the triangular sights. I shot a 3" group of 15 rounds at 50 yards. It is a very nice weapon. I really like how easy it is to focus on the front sight, and how I don't need to make any changes.

Cut and dragged some small trees up through a hole in a roof between two tightly adjacent buildings where nobody any longer resided.. A completely enclosed small dark area. There was also a rosebush down there that might not have seen any attention in twenty years. It got it's needed sunlight with it's thick branches also up above the roof. I wasn't so keen to drop down into the hole at first, looked like a man eater.:\:

Today? Well. Didnt do much work and read online about my latest award win :D Notice the smarmy pic in the bottom left corner of the article. lol

Attachments

• Hortwestdec2010.jpg
    Hortwestdec2010.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 24
Today went pretty good considering .Loaded up Toms' chip box he sold to a guy,not all that simple .We first had to move my sawmill out then back in the trailer with box upon under the tram rail hoist to lift it up high enough to fit on the buyers flat bed ton and a half truck .Old Toms' skid loader with "bald eagle " tires didn't do so well in the snow moving things about

It was so icy he left skid loader and trailer at my shop until the weather breaks ,said something about not being an "ice road " trucker .:lol:

Paul real nice:thumbup:

Met with the fire wood guy, he will be sending me his contract to review and his tax revenue info. Laughed my arse off, and got a good jist of the operation not so bad with the wrapping he has locked boxes and runs the consesion where the sales occur so all in all just keep it supplied and be able to bring more.
Came home saw oiler issue fixed! left it full of kero last night and it must have been crud as I took a broken fuel cap and drilled a hole installed a valve stem added under five psi fired it up and spew some crap it did!:D

Good deal on the saw, Joel. Maybe next year you can buy a real climbing saw and retire that old 335 to backup status. :evil:

Good deal on the write-up, Paul. :thumbup:

Back