How'd it go today?

Weather was cool and awesome today. Snow had pretty much melted with all the rain at 4000 feet.. Almost got the road frontage done. Two more visits and that job will be done for inspection. Came home to a fallen tree call.... Still trying to get hold of the client we are supposed to start tomorrow. Guy booked some days back last spring for this month and was going to book more for some trail cutting. If I don't hear from him tonight, I will go take care of a fallen tree and get back on some climbing on the insurance inspection job.

Froze my ass of in the spider this morning dead wooding an oak. It sucked not being able to move around, feet turned into blocks of ice, even with the carpet on the ground. Finished off the day with some mulch.

Tomorrow I'm surely bringing my big pac boots, and hand/feet warmers. Boy it was chilly!

Haha, ditto, B- worked next to LI sound in fairly huge unrelenting wind all day, it was brutal!!

Come on Cory....

I'm so glad I don't live up there. I love to play in the cold but I hate working in it.

Come on Cory....

I'm so glad I don't live up there. I love to play in the cold but I hate working in it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. No folks from NC ever seem to retire in CT, do they!! It's always the other way 'round.

Got my first injection of Cortisone this morning, not pleasant, but not as bad as I thought it should have been. Had to wait 45 min to get to the procedure. Nurse wanted me to lie on my belly with a pillow right under my fracture and the Doc had to say no when I told them it hurt like hell! Moved it down a couple of inches and all was fine.
The Lido cane burnt like a bitch, but I knew that was coming. In and out of the procedure room in ten min!
Then I got to recovery, of course I had to be one of the "three hour patients"! Everybody else was in and out in 30 min, I was numb from the waist down. They would come and walk me every twenty min, two nurses and a wheelchair until I could walk.
Didn't matter anyway, my mom gave me a ride there and went shopping. She called two hours later, she'd locked the keys in her car and couldn't get a hold of my dad. I had to have my wife go get her and take her to get another set of keys.
Is today Monday?

Had to go into Tokyo to get something notarized at the US embassy, they provide that service for fifty dollars per. I haven't been there for many years, well before 9/11. The level of security is pretty mind boggling. Before even entering the building that is a preliminary to reaching the compound, you are asked what your business is. With a valid reason for being there and a copy of your appointment off the internet, you go to an area for a preliminary check of your bags, and questioning if you might be carrying certain not allowed items. I notoced that liquor was on the list, but the other drawings were pretty illegible, so I just say no without really knowing. OKd, you enter a building where any bags go through an x-ray, your cell phone is confiscated and held until you finish your business, and then your person goes through a metal detector and get a body scan. I forgot to mention that after exiting the subway that took me to the district where the embassy is located, there are Japanese cops standing on every corner and large police busses with bars over the windows, parked throughout the four block walk to the facility, the kind meant to haul away large groups of unruly people? I wondered if it was a tradeoff for the George Washington patrolling their waters? So, after the initial clearance you walk into the grounds past some suits eyeing you suspiciously, up to the main entrance where the marines are, get your bag checked again, go through another metal detector, and are directed to a door to enter the US citizen services part of the building. I pushed on the door and it didn't budge, so like a dork I say to a guard, "It's locked". He gives an expression like he has heard that for the zillionth time that day, and says, "You have to push harder". I give it some shoulder and it budges, without a doubt the heaviest door that I have ever walked through in my life, some bomb proof thing with hinges that look like they are made to hold out or keep in King Kong. All the doors are that way that you go through, but the final one must be the last measure of defense for the place, pretty unreal, if not impressive.

Once you are inside the place to do your business, it gets friendly and everyone is speaking English just like in the home country which I think the place is supposed to be part of. Took care of bizz and payed my $100 because I was getting two things notarized, and couldn't find the exit, so a pretty girl had to help me...twice ;). Going to that out building again, I became confused on how to get my phone because the door I originally came out of says 'Exit' on it, and there seems no other way to get in. I get paranoid about entering through an exit and decide to tap on the very thick glass to get the guards attention inside. Suddenly there is a big black dude in a suit standing at my shoulder asking me what I'm doing? It seems to me that he could only have come out of the nearby bushes. Looking up I explain...and he says, can't you see that it says exit there? I say yes I can read pretty well, but I'm entering not exiting, so.... "Just go in there"!. Ah..yes, of course, and continued confusion seems to have no place here, so I fumble for my claim tag and get my phone and hit the street walking through the gauntlet of guards again, who seem to have about thirty percent less interest in me then.

Some countries have real peaceful embassies in rather cordial surroundings. The New Zealand one is that way. The US one is a fortress. I can't imaging what the security must be like in some of the more threatening places in the world, and what all of that must cost! It is really a bit overwhelming if you aren't used to it.

No Butch, it hurts like a Mutha right now! They say tomorrow will be worse yet. It takes around 48 hours to kick in. Being numb from the waist down was awesome compared to this!

Lordy! Do the drugs they give you!!!

Gawt dang, Jay! Anyone can be a notary here, just a bit of schooling.

Today went slick.. Tossed a gray pine first thing this AM that was loaded with Dwarf mistletoe and rather entwined in a ponderosa that had witches broom all the way to the ground. Both trees covered with PO vines. Barb wire fence in the tree so I had to notch at shoulder height. 20 dia at the shoulder and only about 50 foot tall so piece of cake. Put a line on it in case we had to pull it out of the other tree.
Then we did some storm clean up on the same property before we open the trails back up for the HO. He booked some more days, I came home to a regular that needs us. Ran into a contractor in town that wants some hangers down.. I was worried about scheduling. Then I got a call from a client that is sick and has to cancel.. :D Funny how things can work out sometimes. :)
So back up to higher elevation tomorrow as I have an opening for the insurance inspection job.
All in all a good day... :)

The tile setter installed about 1/3 of the tile yesterday .Hopefully by weeks end the floor will be done on the addition .

Ha with all this stuff piled up in the living room the damned house looks like a flea market .It sure will be nice when things get back to normal .

I don't have a clue what the deal is on charges for over the counter services to US citizens. I haven't checked, but likely they charge for most if not all the services. They can pretty much charge whatever they like, because unfortunately it's the one game in town, the only way being to get a signature notarized for some document that you need to send to the states, is to go to the embassy. Pay in the local currency or in dollars. The people here don't use a signature on documents, they use a personal stamp instead, so no such thing as a signature verification available through local officialdom.

Yep. Maybe the justification is that the government pays the salaries of the people providing the services, provides their security, so the users of the services have to chip in too.....? All kinds of jobs in big embassies for the people who do the services. US citizens working abroad are often not required to pay US taxes on earnings, unless self employed. No freeloaders allowed, I guess.

When you get something notarized in the states, do you have to raise your right hand and swear that you are who you say you are, even when providing a required id, and also swear that you understand what you are signing? I thought that was odd too.

You don't even have to raise your hand .Just pay the fee,couple bucks and go about your business . Most times the bank you do business with will do the notorization for free .

All you're paying for is this.

Notary_Stamp.jpg

Back