How'd it go today?

Did some "reductions" on two Red Maples for more sun on the pool. Ugly tree's now, but at least I cut back to something. Took down a dead Cedar, and self roped an Ash down. Hauled the wood, made about 10 yards of chip, stayed on site. Might go back tomorrow, one more Cedar to take down, a Cherry, another Maple to brutalize or take down as it'll be easier, and do a climb on the New Tribe saddle I got in today on an Oak in front.

You gotta try out the saddle. :thumbup:

Did some clearance and major deadwood on a half dozen decent size trees surrounding a vacant house in downtown Orlando this morning. Not a huge amount of stuff coming off but it would have been a very long day with a couple good climbers. I got all but 2 trees in the back and Pablo got those, took three hours. Then I popped a quickie job on the way home for another guy and was done by 1pm.

Tomorrow I'm trimming out a post office. Should take about 3 hours.

Been working on the new box I am making for the chip truck. Everything is tacked up, but still a lot of welding left to do. It is good practice for me since I am still learning a lot and I think I have all the horizontal welding down steady, but getting the vertical welds to look good has been a huge PITA. Knowing me I wont get it to look good until I am on the last vertical weld on the box. :|:

I've read mig welding is easier vertical down, gasless vert up. Not sure where I read it, or if it's true, but hey.

Post up some pics, whats the box going on?

Just pruned that poor Peach today. Lady is hurting on money since her man left. Sooooo she put the coulters off until the end of the month. I got paid for the burning we did last week and the peach. Good enough for me. Poor thing is going to be a project. It grew up over the deck (almost 2 stories high) and was quite neglected. With the snow load we get up there, some major limbs have been broken out of it. So I am starting a restructuring of the tree. Took what I felt needed it and I will do some more next year. Touchy as it has so much southern exposure to the sun and that is where most the limbs broke off. Worried about sun burn so I do some each year until we fill in the one side again. It is important to her for some shade as well, so some of the height had to be kept.
The coulters are gonna be a blast. 4 and the highest one might be 30 feet... :lol:
And she is doing all the cleanup :D
The second picture gives you and idea of the slope of the place.. I actually climbed the peach, safer :lol:

Attachments

• DSC_0746.JPG
    DSC_0746.JPG
    979.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0745.JPG
    DSC_0745.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
With a wire welding you can go down and get the same penetration .With regular arc you can run down but you need to use a general purpose rod like 6010-11-12-13 .7018 doesn't do worth a hoot going down .

Funny ,all the pipefitters in like refineries etc weld up,usually 3 passes .The pipeliners run down .The tank builders which are part of the boilermakers uphill everything then make a downhill cover pass .

You'd want to make sure the e-brake worked if you lived in that yard! Can ya say "broken parking pawl"?:D

The box is already mounted on Freightliner FL70, we did that about a month ago. The box isn't being made from complete scratch it was a dump body with about one foot sides on it, and I am building off of that. I will try and get some pics up. As far as the welding, it is all arc welding on a miller bobcat 225. I found I get better penetration/uglier bead going up and worse penetration/nicer looking bead going down. When going up I try and let the weld puddle cool a little as I go so I don't get dripping, but it still isn't looking right.

With a wire welding you can go down and get the same penetration .With regular arc you can run down but you need to use a general purpose rod like 6010-11-12-13 .7018 doesn't do worth a hoot going down .

Funny ,all the pipefitters in like refineries etc weld up,usually 3 passes .The pipeliners run down .The tank builders which are part of the boilermakers uphill everything then make a downhill cover pass .

I have been using 6013 and I pretty much did what you said. I made a pass up, then I grinded it a little cause it didn't look good, then I made a pass down. Learning as I go.

You'd want to make sure the e-brake worked if you lived in that yard! Can ya say "broken parking pawl"?:D

When we work the driveway with the truck and chipper.. you set your brake and turn your wheels hard right to the bank. Work downhill.
If the brake gave out... You would find hwy 140 if you don't find a tree..... :lol:
Cut the brush and let it roll down hill to the drive.. :lol:

Attachments

• DSC_0747.JPG
    DSC_0747.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0748.JPG
    DSC_0748.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Ya gotta be half goat to work there don't ya? How many legs did you say you have????

You really want the answer to that??? That's kind a personal question to put forth on an open forum.... :lol:

It's next door to this account Brent... :lol:

Attachments

• 119_1935.JPG
    119_1935.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
The second number from the right indicates position. 1 being all position as Willie said. 2 and 3 have other limitations. When welding vertically, remember that you can't weld air. By that I mean don't waste any time in the middle of the joint. Quickly jump from one side to the other, with a slight pause on solid ground before jumping back. The middle will fill up nicely, with maybe just a little bit of a pronounced ridge in the middle. Easier to demonstrate than to explain. I'd stay away from 7018 unless you can ensure a perfectly dry rod. If you are getting a lot of porosity, that is from the rod being wet. Fresh rod can soak up enough humidity on a humid summer day to be useless in half an hour. There are procedures for properly drying rod, but storing it on top of a wood stove isn't a bad idea, or an old fridge. Only take out what you need for a few minutes of welding. I like 6013, runs nice and neat, but do most of my stick welding with 7018.

Brian should get a kick out of this.....

A customer of mine dropped off a chainsaw she wants fixed or advise about today while I was out pruning..
She complained it felt low on power...... :/:
Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPvDfPplOsY?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPvDfPplOsY?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:lol:

7018 is considered all position
True.The first two or three numbers indicates the tensel strength (7018--11018 70 thou ,110 thou repectively ) the third or fourth the position and the last the flux .8 being iron powder low hydrogen .

Now then yes 1 is all position now run it straight down hill and let us know how you make out . You can walk in uphill at about 1.5 the width of the rod but downhill the flux runs like hot butter .

I'm not sure vertical down is considered when they say it's "all position". In my books usually it's Flat, Horizontal, Vertical, or Overhead, with Vertical being described as vertical up.

It takes a while to master "up" and it depends on the rod too .There's a lot of difference between a fast freeze rod like a 6010-6011 and a 7018 .For that matter if you use a buzz box you can walk up a 7014 too but few people even know what they are .

Iron powder like the 7014-7024 and 7028 will put down a lot of weld deposit per pass .You have to have fairly clean metal though .

I seldom use it unless it's on a heavy fabrication job .Then though I normally burn 5/32" 7024 that's as big as my machines can handle .

Back