How'd it go today?

Half day working on a large book case, then went and looked at a removal job way up in a remote part of a village in the mountains, a very peaceful place. Six trees, one big one, on the edge of a steep drop embankment, with limbs and back lean over an ancient house below the cliff. All will need be pulled with cable, and I'll have to be tied in to one when working at the base, or myself could easily disappear over into the void.

That will be a first....an extra concern for safety on this job.

I forgot these interesting pics from yesterday!!

Attachments

• union peak 042.jpg
    union peak 042.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 69
  • union peak 043.jpg
    union peak 043.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 71
I find those overgrown stumps here too, usually in Doug fir.
I've found a couple that were ruond enuogh that I could get them centered on the lathe and turn a bowl from them.
The grain runs every which way, gives a nice effect.

Evidently that little stump must be a codominent type thing else it could not heal over like that . Second growth silver maple will do about the same .

Sounds like fun. Will you be able to drop them over the embankment?

No, amigo, below the embankment is a large roof. Everything must go against the lean, pulled the other way. Wonder what the breaking strength is of 9mm cable? Using a 2 ton endless puller when I do get to it.

I would have to see the lean my friend... But I have pulled some pretty amazing stuff with 2200# pull tape doubled up and a 2 ton strap come along. As far as tying off to the tree you are cutting "over the void", can you tie off on something away from the tree like a life line? I have planted stakes before to hold me on the edge so to speak.

Steven, what is "pull tape"? The trees are in a row, right on the edge of the drop. Wish I had my camera with me yesterday. Guess I could drive something into the ground, but no big advantage that I can see. There is no escape path, so I think best to tie to the neighboring tree, and scoot behind it when the tree goes over. That wouldn't keep me from dropping off the edge, but I wouldn't hit bottom. I guess I could tie off to low on the base of what I'll be falling, but it doesn't seem wise, if something should go awry.

The best thing would be to hold it, cut it up, then leave the vicinity before the guy working with me pulls it over. That would be difficult I think, because he'll be pulling hard against the lean the whole time, just to bring it up to begin with. I wouldn't want to over stress the wire. No room for error on this one, and working with a big saw. Timing the back cut and pull seems a tad tricky, to be able to get out of there.

I'm starting to work myself up about it. :( I'm thinking to run up there to get some pics, and getting advise here. The job is at the end of the month.

36H-p.jpg

Expendable and cheap. Big stuff I just use stable braid. I also often chain the butt to keep it from running down hill in case it goes wrong. Tying off a life line to the next tree works.... I do that on bad slopes. I will also throw a high line in a next door tree so I don't have to fall down the slope far. I can always catch myself and traverse run the slope. Then work my way back up.
I will also often run two pull lines from two different vectors not too far off angle from each other for redundancy.... Call me paranoid ;)

Attachments

• P1010070.JPG
    P1010070.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010093.JPG
    P1010093.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010069.JPG
    P1010069.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the pics. Looking at about a 40 inch diam. tree for the large one. The others mostly considerably smaller, a fairly light pull should hold them. Wish it were a slope on the lean side, but it's just a drop off......deep enough to bust your noggin.

If the trees are brushy on the head of the lean. I will also climb them and take the weight off one side and possibly the top if I feel I need to lose weight off the lean.. Good communication between the saw man and the puller is also a must... Whittle and pull and whittle and pull... repeat....etc.... Keep some wedges close also ;) Again I would have to see the lean... I have also just climbed up what you described and piece them down... Have an oak coming up in a month like that... Tooo much lean ... But a good LZ for a speed line....

Evidently that little stump must be a codominent type thing else it could not heal over like that . Second growth silver maple will do about the same .

Pretty much, Al.
It happens from root grafting with another living fir. Very common among Douglas-fir.

I know about as much about PNW trees that would fit in a thimble .Fact is until Gerry B posted a thing on coast redwoods I had no idea they could propigate from the roots like a locust or soft maple . Never too old to learn a thing or three .:)

Jay......Could you climb and peice out at least the big tree? Could you use it as an anchor point for a speed line? Can you anchor/tie down the butts to themselves or the other trees? Can you tie into another tree while cutting the one next to it? Should they all be pieced out for weight reduction?

Just a few questions. Maybe jog the brain a bit?

Today was good. Did some hw, sharpened some saws, and sat around.

Tomorrow will be sweet though!!! I'm cashing in one of two of my free days that I get a year. Basically, I get to skip school for a very fun or challenging job we have going. Tomorrow for instance, we're bringing in one of my climbing buddies with a small k-boom and a GRCS. Going to do a big speedline, over a creek, and crane the wood over the creek. I'll either be working the ground, or possibly, be in the tree doing some cutting!! Should be one great day!!!

Sounds cool RD.

I've been working steady which is good. Pulled a long day yesterday and dumped chips and cleaned/serviced gear today.

Back