How'd it go today?

I think the problem is that it is too close to the bottom of the well. Not allowing any space for sand or whatever to drop to the bottom. The pump used to be set at 60 feet or something like that and in the drought of the 1990's the water level went below that and the pump guys came out and added some more lengths of pipe to it and dropped to almost the bottom of the well. The pump then went out in 2000 and now again in 2009 (I think anyway). I just looked on Grainger and they have a 2 hp submersible for less than $600. It could be that it some cheap chinese crap of a pump or it could be that the pump guys screw you sans lubrication. I don't see any info on the pump on how much pressure it can make. I need for it to lift the water 80 feet or so and make 50 lbs pressure minimum. I think it takes 4 or 5 hours of labor to pull the pump and reinstall it. Maybe more.

Stephen, do you mean make some sort of tripod to rig from and use the tractor as the power source? You might be onto something there. One trouble with this is
1. I don't know what I'm doing.
2. I'm not sure about the electric connections, I understand they have to be waterproof.
3. I'm not sure about the electric wiring in general
4. I've watched this being done several times but it's been a long time and I probably wasn't paying that close of attention.
5. If I drop it and it falls to the bottom of the well the pump guy will really have me by the gonads.

These things are all solvable. Al you are the ultimate DIY guy, have you done this?

$3500 seems quite expensive and I'm in well territory myself. My neighbors well is over 100' and I'm certain his pump was under $1000 cdn. His well is actually about 160'. I'm a shallow well pumper so my pumps are cheap.

I think the problem is that it is too close to the bottom of the well. Not allowing any space for sand or whatever to drop to the bottom. The pump used to be set at 60 feet or something like that and in the drought of the 1990's the water level went below that and the pump guys came out and added some more lengths of pipe to it and dropped to almost the bottom of the well. The pump then went out in 2000 and now again in 2009 (I think anyway). I just looked on Grainger and they have a 2 hp submersible for less than $600. It could be that it some cheap chinese crap of a pump or it could be that the pump guys screw you sans lubrication. I don't see any info on the pump on how much pressure it can make. I need for it to lift the water 80 feet or so and make 50 lbs pressure minimum. I think it takes 4 or 5 hours of labor to pull the pump and reinstall it. Maybe more.

Stephen, do you mean make some sort of tripod to rig from and use the tractor as the power source? You might be onto something there. One trouble with this is
1. I don't know what I'm doing.
2. I'm not sure about the electric connections, I understand they have to be waterproof.
3. I'm not sure about the electric wiring in general
4. I've watched this being done several times but it's been a long time and I probably wasn't paying that close of attention.
5. If I drop it and it falls to the bottom of the well the pump guy will really have me by the gonads.

These things are all solvable. Al you are the ultimate DIY guy, have you done this?

Steve you can handle this no problem. Hell, you changed the engines in your bucket truck!!!! This would be easy compared to that. Is it pvc pipe in the well? Can you get your bucket truck close to the well, use it to pull up 30 some feet of pipe secure the lower part and cut the pvc. If you can lift 30 some feet you would only have 3 couplers to glue back in. The wiring is just standard 220, you should be able to reuse the wire. Just make good water tight connections. We usually solder then use good heat shrink with the sealer already made on the inside.
We had problems with the pump hitting the well casing, it was from the torq of the motor when it would come on. After a while, it would knock the seals out of the motor. But this was on 300ft to 500ft wells.

Steve.. What they use is kind of a U shaped piece of metal you could fab for the most part.. Pipe goes in the U and when you pull up on the one side of the device it cocks and holds the pipe. You use a devise to act as a stop on the next coupling, something it wont slide through. The bucket should easily lift it. Wiring depends on whether it's 220 or 110... Pretty straight forward. The wires are usually just taped every so often to the pipe and you remove it as you go and pull to the side. Had a customer just go through this and it does not necessarily have to be the pump. You could also have a short down low in the casing. When the pump kicks on it twists a bit and the wires can rub against the casing.... Worth a check..... Unhook your wires above ground if you have a metal casing and test to see if you have continuity between any of the hot leads and the casing. Still have to pull the pump... Wire fix simple..
Come to think of it Steve you could probably make a snatch out of chain or rope like I do for T stakes. Just how you wrap it :) Like a friction hitch per say :)

$3500 is absurd. For a couple grand more you could have a four hundred foot well drilled and pump installed around here. Did you use said well to refill your pool?

Why in the world would a person need a 1.5 HP pump on a 100 foot well for ?

I have two wells ,one is 250 feet ,the other is 117 .Both run off of 1/2 HP submersables and flow at 12 gallon per minute . Both pumps are Goulds and cost about 400 bucks .

I don't have a clue what's wrong with your pump man. Evidently he never heard of a sand screen .:what:

I hear last night that the restaurant on the Space Needle was balanced so perfectly all it took was a 1.75 hp motor to rotate it.

Some SOB is dropping off housecats again. They think that they will live happily ever after because it's a farm. They just get run over, or chased off to starve. Lately, somethings been eating them. We're pretty sure it's a fisher cat.

Dave.... I'm with you on the cats. We've ended up with 5 running around here I don't know where they came from. Drives the dogs nuts on a regular basis. I feel a Killin' season coming on.

Steve.....Well sounds really expensive to me but I run a shallow well and drive it myself, get the parts, and have a buddy come set the pump, pressure, etc. Mines about due; been in for 30 years now.

Today went OK. Over my knees in swamp water whenever I wasn't in a tree. Head Forester for the utility stopped by the job sight and was happy to see it was getting done.

I'll be more happy when it is done. Maybe tommorrow if things go well.

Sounds like Hell, Dave. I strongly dislike working with wet feet.

I had a lazy day today. Stopped for breakfast this morning and ran into an ex from many many years ago. She started talking and talking and talking and after about 10 minutes I was looking for a way to GTFO without being rude.

Stopped and talked with my auto painter buddy to ask his advice on finding a mechanic to fix the oil leak on my bucket truck motor. After 10 minutes he volunteered to do it himself next week. That's a relief because I trust him to do it right. He will also save me a few dollars since he won't charge me the standard $75 per hour shop rate.

I lined up work for tomorrow and Thursday. I also have work on Saturday. Nice to have a couple days off during the week.

My Wesspur order came in today. I got the whipping twine I needed so I was able to resplice the eye on the winch line on my bucket. It was starting to fray on the last couple feet. The old line was a bit stiffer than working with new line, I had to hook it to my pickup truck hitch to pull some tension to finish the final bury.

Today was another good/bad day. Started out good with a Willow removeal. Medium sized, but it was partly in the power lines, so Dad did it. Took around 2 hours, since we took our time around the lines and had to avoid the fence. Ground the stump and did some fence clearing to finish the job.

Next stop was that high maintence client we worked last Friday. We came in and she had it all planned out, but of course, as we worked she changed it up. It sucked big time. Had to redo some, and tear up some. Going to do sod prep there tomorrow for stuff she added on.

What pissed me off the most though we she was trying to tell me how to do my job, and on a few occasions, implied I was dumb/stupid, whatever. She didn't think I knew what level meant, so she had to tell me at least 20 times what level is and what she wanted it level with.:X

Sounds rough, Ranger. Try to think of it as good self discipline training for yourself, that will pay off in the future. Onwards and upwards!

Pruned two oaks... took 4 frikken hours and I'm exhausted. I hate trying to get back to work after a layoff. 5 more oaks to prune and a big pine TD for tomorrow. I'm praying for an afternoon thunderstorm to run me off the job.

Reminds me of my dad's wife who used to tell me how to mow the lawn when I was a teen. It didn't 'train' me for anything other than a strong intolerance for being told what to do by people who don't know what I'm doing. It only taught me that other people will try to boss you around for no reason other than they can, as long as you let them. I no longer tolerate all the crap that I put up with for so many years.

Some SOB is dropping off housecats again. They think that they will live happily ever after because it's a farm. They just get run over, or chased off to starve. Lately, somethings been eating them. We're pretty sure it's a fisher cat.

I can help with that. :)

Got a call today from the client we did the Manzanita grove for.. He not only scheduled the TD (s), but also two more days of limb up and fuel thinning. :D Never stopped with the compliments and TY's on the phone.. Now That is a client I love working with :D Pays well too :D

I got my ass whupped today, 6.5 billable hours. The first job was a lightening struck 120' pine that was relatively easy, just a long as stomp up the tree. I had to miss a Dogwood, lol.

The second job was the ass-whupper - a jillion leaded water oak next to a house. I could use the bucket on this, but I bet I made 800 cuts today.

Ha!

Back