How'd it go today?

Right on. Looking into materials for the box right now. Giving me an excuse to get a bigger welder. It helps that my neighbor works at a machine shop to.

Wish I would known you were looking, Scott. Was at an auction today where Miller 304 XT's with 12VSs going for 800-1000. I very nearly bought one.

A 4 pack of brand fawkin new XMT 350VS's went for $1850 including the rack. I was talking to a biz contact when they ended the bidding at $450 a unit and the guy took all 4. Justdamnitman.

A BRAND new Big Blue 400 went for $4k, several new (under 7 hours) Bobcat 250's went for under $4k.

Well got old Toms bucket in good shape .I flew it and dead wooded some oaks and it does just fine . Did I ever mention I really like a 200T ,especialy one that's souped up .;)

Another one of my monster jobs. The homeowner and I were talking stump cuts but I called it a stump c word. I felt stupid and quickly made the cut to get through the awkwardness. :|:

Attachments

• DSC03501.JPG
    DSC03501.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC03502.JPG
    DSC03502.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 64
I think a welder from lowes will do the trick. Not welding huge stuff, I usually take it to the welding shop if is critical and large metals.

Most of this is just going to be tacking and so on

Thinking of using 14 gauge sheet for the bed with channel for the support.

Hey Steve you are starting to sound like my old man. Between LMN and the Oxygen channel I don't know what he watches more.
It's kind of scary actually lol.QUOTE]

My super manly reputation is gone? Darn. :) I took our aluminum cans and plastic bottles and the leaky radiator from my pickup in to the recycling and got enough money to fill everything up with fuel for Monday. Runnin on a shoestring here.

Looks like I am going to probably be buying two more brush cutters this season :P One of the older reliable Stihl FS250s died today after a dedicated 5 years of service.:cry: Almost made year six. :( So I have two Stihls left and I bet ya we lose one more before the summer is out. I will make a parts list and post it if anyone needs things like shafts, gear heads etc. All carbs are shot as far as I know, as that is usually what kills them. Damn you ZAMA! Engines are probably rebuild able but probably not worth the money to do so. All but one of them were handle bar style also. I believe the parts are pretty common on the FS120, 200 and 250. Might even be able to use the shaft and housing on the 110.

Today was hell... Grass was nasty and wound up on the heads and 4 foot tall in places. Steep slopes, rocks, swearing. Most expensive 100 foot clearance to date. TG It was hourly. I normally can pull them off for half what it cost today.
I decided to marry a couple of FS55s I had laying about for some detail work. Got one working. Won't throw rocks as hard at windows and such :lol:

FUG IT I am taking tomorrow off no matter what after I do an estimate. Then go see Aunt Sheila in the hospital before they transfer her to a care home for three weeks now that they put the feeding tube in.. Yup ..... Her days of late make mine seem trivial.
Did I mention I have three sick kids?:|:
They will be better just in time for the trip. :D
Now where oh where is that UPS guy with my goodies :/:

I have a 12 foot bed and I was looking to make the sides 5 foot high maybe a little more depending on material available.

Attachments

• DSCN1865.JPG
    DSCN1865.JPG
    948.6 KB · Views: 4
Do you have a local steel supplier? They can easily come up with that.

In general, steel is sold by the pound. For example, last week I bought 1.5x.25 angle for $25 a stick, and 1.5x.125 angle for $13 a stick. Obviously there are limitations, but up to 8' wide can come in really long lengths.

:O 2wd?

No its 4 wheel. I had thought of instead of having a top on it just having a heavy tarp to contain chips. To reduce weight. The longevity issue keeps bugging me though. Plus that would allow for quick removal to crane wood in and load with bobcat.

I've never made a chip box but I've made two boxes for hauling bulk commodities like beans or corn. Usually you want a bend or two (I'm not sure of the correct word for this) put into the sheet to add strength. So when I built the boxes these bends were put in by my local supplier.

Attachments

• tree 019 (Small).jpg
    tree 019 (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 45
Yeah that is definetly on the specs. Still up in the air on the build just yet. If I go with the Tarp deal then I am just using the stake pockets to build the sides.

You could also weld some small angle on the inside of the box to duplicate the bend. Although I suspect it wouldn't be as strong.

Today has been great so far!!! Slept in late, didn't get to work till 11 making a couple of 14" chains for the 200's, and then I pulled out the 4 older, larger saws. 2 044's, a Husky 288XP and a Husky 257. The 288 and 257 both need new chain brake assemblies, so I couldn't do much with those. One 044 is missing the rubber thing that you put on the spark plug(sorry, no idea on the proper name)

But I did manage to get the other 044 up and man, that thing is AWESOME!!! I couldn't believe it when it started, since it's at least 20 years old!! I can tell it has some real power behind it. I slapped a 28" bar on her, and sharpened up the chain, and she is ready to go!!!

And did I mention it's LOUD!:O

Back