How'd it go today?

9 of my last 10 attempts at splicing 16 strand rope have ended like that, RD. I finally quit trying and now pay the $20 extra to have it spliced. Best of luck to you getting past that difficulty.

Success!!!!:D:D After getting some better wire and creating a new wire fid it went right in!!! I'll post a pic after I finish the homework I put off to try the splice.

Hmm, I'm being underbid left and right so far this season. I dunno if I should be sharpening my pencil or just moving on and trying not to let it get me down. One company is working for way less than everyone else for some reason, there's no way he's making to cover his equipment investment.

Latest was a backyard Siberian Elm probably 60-70' tall and really spreading over a fence, little shed and in the back of quite a nice yard with a gate barely wider than the mini going down the side of the house so brush of any size is gonna be rubbing on the house and the downspout of the eaves, which is unacceptable to me, so it's going to have to come out fairly small/reasonable. Also there was one more small elm in the yard tucked in right beside the shed and growing directly over it.

For takedown to a low stump and clean-up I bid $1200 for both trees. I thought that was cheap because I've been a little slow here(plenty of calls but not many booking). Customer just right away tells me the name of the competition who has bid that job way cheaper than me.

:(

Good luck with your foot Butch. I took out 3 trees today and ground the stumps. My Mom called and is having computer troubles so I am headed over there. I had one call to make when I got home and the lady sounded inebriated, so I made the appt. for tomorrow.

So, what's going to happen to these low bidders that won't be able to make enough to stay afloat? Will they just circle the drain alone, or are they going to take the viable businesses with them?

I have lowered my prices about 30% to stay busy Squish. I was thinkin' about 2K for the tree from your description. I think $1200 was a swinging deal.

Right now I'm averaging two days a week. I've got two days booked for next week already and one call to chase down here so it's bad but could be worse.

Just frusturating is all I guess espescially when its thrown in your face like that. I'll be real interested to see how it goes this year. Steve 30% is gotta be all the profit and then some I would think. I just can't see going lower on my rates. I bid that tree for a full day with two guys and my equipment.

How little are you willing to make and still go work? Last year when fuel was over $4 per gallon I was pushing toward $100 per hour and I wouldn't start my truck for less than a $200 minimum. Today I'm working for a lot less and I've lowered my minimum as well, so I'm more affordable to the guys with little quick pops. I've done three minimum calls in the last 2 days and none of them would have paid $200 per job. I guess it all depends on how hungry you are.

The other consideration is your reputation. If you stick to your guns while everybody else is underbidding trying to eat, then you may gain the reputation as the 'way too expensive' tree guy. This could cost you business even when the economy improves.

Like to think that doing quality work is really the bottom line, and will get you through where other guys may fail. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but at least it's something to hold on to when times are tough. I know, it may not pay the bills. Quality for less, it's a hard computation.

I hear what you're saying Brian but if it's gonna really be that tight here then I'll end up getting out. I'm not into having a business that quite often the whole thing is on the line that isn't going to coin 'er up.

You know what I got and the numbers there Brian for much less than that it's not worth it going out and wrastling with trees. Everything is above board full insurance/inspections and whatnot. I'm preaching to the choir I know but it's not cheap to run a treebusiness. I might as well go work for someone else or look at going back to the bush if there isn't going to be any gravy.

It's still very early season here with lots of snow on the ground in most areas. I'm confident there'll be lots of work.8)

Like to think that doing quality work is really the bottom line, and will get you through where other guys may fail. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but at least it's something to hold on to when times are tough. I know, it may not pay the bills. Quality for less, it's a hard computation.

And that's something I can always pride myself on. I leave jobsites looking better than when I started. Never a mess.

We're all hoping for a good season but I'm afraid the money just won't be there like it has been in the last few years. At least here in the US anyway.

I've got a couple decent contracts that will pull me through the spring, but I sure hope that I can land enough work over the next couple of months to get booked way out for when the contracts end.

Just trying to survive Justin. Making 70% is better than sitting at home. Brian, I don't really have a minimum anymore. I did a little stump for $50 the other day. I went on a bid for a guy that had a pretty big stump and a bunch of his neighbors also had stumps and they had got together and got bids for all of them. I was the last one to bid it and after I gave the guy my bid he showed me the two other bids. Both are quality tree companies and they were half of my bid. About a third of my competition has either went out of business or maybe just quit advertising. I tried keeping my prices up there and I went on bids for nothing. One thing that is good about not working much is that my workers are all rested up, they really kick ass for a day or two of long days and if I keep it up they will slow down. But if I just work once in a while they are all full of energy.

There are some REALLY hungry guys out there Squishy! I am one of them, but I am not going out for peanuts! If I can't get $45hr with the use of any equipment (mini, saw, etc.) I won't go. If I can't get $25hr doing remodel/home repair, I won't go. And my equipment is CHEAP comparitivly, as well as I am a hack. I am getting underbid regularly, and my phone isn't ringing much at all! I looked at three duplexes yesterday, all next door to each other, over an acre to mow. Mow it, trim it and clean the driveways and walks. Customer: "Well, I got a guy that bid it for $65 and I think that is too much, do it cheaper and it's youres!!":O I just got in the truck and left!
This is why I am eager to look at the regular jobs right now!
These gus wont be able to do this long finacialy or reputation wise. But right now every one is doing everything they can to save a buck!

Hell man I was just looking for someone to say heh don't sweat it none squish onto the next bid.:D

The dude who's lowballing runs multiple crews and I think where I run into this problem is when he's just trying to keep guys busy so he doesn't lose them. The guy who severely underbid me, I don't know the exact number just that it was "way cheaper", won't even be working on the job himself. That's what gets me.

Steve, I wasn't trying to be a dick towards your game plan there and if it's working out for you then all the power to you. I just have found a couple of this guys bids to be unbeleivably low.

The vast majority of yard guys around here are Mexicans and they work really hard and sometimes really cheap. They are undercutting each other like you wouldn't believe. Like your $65 guy. I don't know how long it takes to mow an acre and edge it and blow the sidewalks off but it has to be 3 hours or so even with a walker mower, right?

I'm helping a friend's brother get his seedlings going before rice planting.
Ten dollars an hour and all I can eat for lunch and tea breaks. At least I go home stuffed. :|:

I in no way thought you were being a dick Squish. I'm just trying to tell you what I'm up against here. I don't have many other options if I fail at this business. So, I can't fail. I have to do whatever I have to do to survive these times so I will be here for the next good times. Assuming there will be some good times coming up. I'm 55 years old and I don't want to go back into the job market. Working for the man sucks huge anyway.

Squish, if that guy is way low and paying a crew then that sounds unsustainable.

The vast majority of yard guys around here are Mexicans and they work really hard and sometimes really cheap. They are undercutting each other like you wouldn't believe. Like your $65 guy. I don't know how long it takes to mow an acre and edge it and blow the sidewalks off but it has to be 3 hours or so even with a walker mower, right?

With a 22" mower (which I have) I figured 4 hours, a decent riding mower, 2 hours. A comercial crew with two large machines and two guys trimming/blowing it's 45min to an hour.
No money to be made no matter how you figure it!

Yeah I don't understand the whole send my four man crew out and I sit at the office, for the less than 600 bucks a day.

These guys have told me over the last 3 months they might have worked 3 weeks. I understand bidding to make sure you get the job, but leaving thousands on the table is not worth it.

I lowered my prices some, on certain things. I have been getting alot of jobs where we put it on the ground and leave. The bottom line is if I don't have all the iron working on jobs then I am making more money. I normally pick up an extra hand for the summer, but I think I'm going to stay lean and mean.

I've got a pick-up job next week, I'll do for $250 for maybe 2-3hrs work with me and my one main man. But overhead is quite low like you say so I don't mind making a little less.

Justin , Don't let it get you down. If you fold under the pressure and bid the next one for half what it is worth it will either be for people who are afraid of cheap bidders or folks who heard you were the ONLY decent guy and were willing to pay double your normal rate-people who can't believ etheir good fortune in getting you so cheap. Hang tough. Cheap bids come back to bite. (With that said, fudging low for dinky jobs seldom hurts extremely badly..... but it still sets a precedent if the customer whips out a subsequent job with 25 trees the same size as the one you just did for 1/2, and it messes with your own head.)

Back