How'd it go today?

We have kept our prices the same. It is our rep that is carrying us now I think. There are some that are under bidding up here. Some from out of town too. From my past experience they will die on the vine eventually. There just is not enough work up here to sustain the companies we have that do what we do. Heck we refer to each other when we get busy. Just got another clearing job today (fire clearance) and the one I had today turned into something else. Better money too :D
I work mostly by the hour. Bidding I would starve to death. Different rates for different type of work based on the market we live in. We have been under bid (estimated) by several. But I have business so it has not effected me yet. My clients will only use us and whom we recommend for the most part. In the Landscaping jobs, Mexicans from the valley are underbidding everyone.

Here is the view from our job today and tomorrow. Been working on and off on this property for two years. 160 acre ranch with horses and cattle next to BLM land over looking the valley. Yup, we were waving at you again Steve.

Attachments

• P1010241.JPG
    P1010241.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010242.JPG
    P1010242.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 6
had a 6 hours seminar on wind throw today in our big city park that got hammered 2 years ago by hurricane force winds. Learned some and got to try a resistograph. watching Bub tonight as mamma went to work, he has been a little PITA tonight, didnt nap much today I am told. sigh. trying to get him to go down to sleep now, he isnt having it.

Squishy, i've been in the same boat. I just started dropping prices a little, can't tell if it's working yet

John, heres the bees in the log, the butt cut, and then where I bucked it this am

Attachments

• bees 001.jpg
    bees 001.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 7
  • bees 003.jpg
    bees 003.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
  • bees 004.jpg
    bees 004.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 6
  • bees 005.jpg
    bees 005.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm back from the needle man. He's a retired Lieutenant Colonel, so I guess he ain't no quack. He did two tours in Vietnam as a helo dust-off pilot, like MASH. That's where he picked up the interest in acupuncture.

The needles kinda hurt, especially the two in my shin. He said that they musta hit a nerve and he removed them. He also stuck one in each ear. He attached electrodes to the needles and left me for 20 minutes to simmer. He later came in and slightly heated the needles with a magic marker sized incense thing that he hovered right close to the ends of the needles. The entire process took about 30 minutes and I'll go back two more times.

He said the cure wouldn't be instant and I agree. So far, no changes in the foot. We'll see.

When do you go back? How much does something like that cost?

Next week. $65 a pop - but I only have to pay for the first (he's gonna do three treatments) visit if it doesn't work. That's pretty cool of him.

No, other than it wouldn't be immediate. I think it actually might have helped a bit, I dunno.

Squishy, i've been in the same boat. I just started dropping prices a little, can't tell if it's working yet

John, heres the bees in the log, the butt cut, and then where I bucked it this am

cool...did dude say if he got the queen or not.....pretty good sized cluster there...she could be in that mass o bees:(

He came back to my place after I saw gobs more bees because he hadn't seen her yet. He got more than a half pound on that trip and these are what is left. She may have been squished at some point in the process

Ordered a 5/8" Carbide end mill today for sharpening chipper blades. Use the EM to cut back to an even edge and use a surface grinder to keen the edge.

Should be here Monday, have 8 sets to sharpen. :)

Put in a cobra cable and did a little pruning this morning before getting rained out. The tree was slicker than snot, which was a pain. I don't know how you west coast guys do it with all the rain all the time, making the trees all super slick.

You can really hurt yourself climbing in those conditions, plus it slows you down soooooo much.

You can really hurt yourself climbing in those conditions, plus it slows you down soooooo much.

Yeah... I said F' it after the first tree. Trying to hold a good footing, even just to body thrust up a big wide stem, takes a lot of care when the tree is like that. I try not to work in the rain, but I thought I could get a little done this morning during the small break we had from the torrents that came this after noon.

Makes ya wuanna put on dem hooks an git er dun!!!! :P

I have some more to do, but I'm saving it for Sunday. It's supposed to clear up by then.

SPRING BREAK IS HERE!!:D:evil:8)

Finally some time to rest, climb and splice!! Tonight is going to be great, and tomorrow we're going to a tree guy meeting for an upcoming volunteer day on Arbor Day. Should be fun since about 1/3 or more of the companies there are the ones trying to undercut the valid rate people like us. Charging $1000 for a $2500 job.

Also some pics of my new lanyard I completed yesterday. Still have to stitch and whip it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27762415@N03/?saved=1

Looking good! :thumbup:

3388985212_c53cf05636.jpg

So far, I'm having a good day. The ferry ride is wee bit rough thanks to the weather moving in. I need to pack up and get ready to leave early Sunday for Mass again. 3 times in 6 weeks. I have a couple more calls to run, but one is 20 minutes from home... so paid ride home on OT... SWEET! :pimp:

Now if'n I could find a call for tomorrow, Sunday's drive would be double o/t. :lol:

Back