How'd it go today?

only got one bid today. im gonna go check my trail cam, and take a mineral block up there. buck will be growing new antlers soon!

Things are stirring up here. I've got 3 to give this afternoon. One is a repeat from last month, one is a potential customer, and the last is a competitor/friend.

Whoot whoot.

Mom had me buy dad a trail cam, with her money of course. It came in yesterday and is pretty snazzy. Perhaps we'll set it up this weekend.

Cursed, when I was knee high to a grasshoper apparently I munched a few ciggie butts out the ashtray, my pops stuck his finger in my mouth and hit the sick trigger so I sicked up and didnt get nicotine poisoning. They still bring that story up every once in a while.

I thought you had a big contract this winter, Stig, or did you guys finish that already?

Nope, the State Forest Service backed partly out of it. Since they can't sell the wood( nobody's building houses, so nobody needs wood very much) they don't want it cut.
They had a loophole buildt into the contract for cases like this, and really I can't blame them.No reason to cut wood if you can't get rid of it.
They have promised to try to send some thinning work etc. my way as compensation, but them backing out of the contract has really left me stranded.

We took down a large Lombardy poplar in a small backyard, that another outfit had given up on about 1/4 way through.
The Hobbs is really wonderful for L-poplars, because everything is vertical.
Set a block up high and almost everything can be tiptied and held by the Hobbs.
Only thing is, the poor climber has to go up to tie, down to cut, up to tie, down to cut etc.
I just got out of bed on tuesday after a bad bout of the flu. I really should have just let one of the young guys climb it. By the end of it I had serious dreams about getting a Wraptor.
Anyway, we had it on the ground in just 3½ hrs. despite high winds and a sickly decrepit old climber:D

I thought I'd knock out a job that I could do by myself, but when I got in the tree I realized that I couldn't. The limb was too big and the service drop was right under it. I needed help! We'll probably yank it out with a crane.

Crap! :whine:

Pruned a river birch. Took an hour of work plus half hour travel there and back, plus 20 min. talking to the homeowner, who is alumni of the college I'm alumni from. Nice little zen kind of job.

Got in a little Sherrill shipment, too. :D

Pruned a river birch. Took an hour of work plus half hour travel there and back, plus 20 min. talking to the homeowner, who is alumni of the college I'm alumni from. Nice little zen kind of job.

Got in a little Sherrill shipment, too. :D

I'm glad you got it.......was she a freak?

rode two 100+ White pines....rope-arama8)

Nah, no freaks. Just old semi retired teachers who when to Wilson in the 70's. I just went by myself and knocked it out.

nothing on my trail cams worth mentioning but i enjoyed a nice hike, moved the camera to another spot.
i did stop by my buddies work depot to check out a truck that wrecked yesterday morning. driver walked away from it!

Attachments

• buttefalls 147.jpg
    buttefalls 147.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 4
  • buttefalls 144.jpg
    buttefalls 144.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 3
  • buttefalls 145.jpg
    buttefalls 145.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 4
  • buttefalls 146.jpg
    buttefalls 146.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 4
Holy shat... that had to hurt ...
Spent the morning roped down a slope and limbing a knob cone up for fire clearance. Asked the homeowner if I could pretty it up a bit as there was dead hanging and he said nope :( So my work looked like shat. Just hang on the rope on the slope with a pole saw. I rigged the limbs (one about 10" diameter) to pulleys and had the happy homeowner pull them up the hill with his truck. The guy is a pain and I hope he gets as tired of me as I am of him sooner than later. He scheduled two more days :P
One of those "I wish I did not need the work" type jobs :P

We did "line clearance" in preparation of the power company installing some higher voltage lines than are presently there. Also took down 8 smallish live oaks that were under the lines. The linear acuator on my Vermeer stump grinder quit working, so I am going to finish with my Carlton tomorrow AM.

Ahh springs on it's way...or not. Supposed to get dumped with snow this weekend.

So.......me and a buddy dusted off our good ol' Honda 450's and went to the track we are a member at. Oh fun it was!

The wind was blowing but temps where in the 50's.

Snow hit hard here, 17hrs yesterday.8)$$$$

Phones ringing quite a bit to and it's supposed to get warm next week so I'm hoping to be good to go on some trees instead of all this damn plowing. This morning was about -2 your guys temps at my place. A little frigging chilly for playing with chainsaws.

Woke up this morning with nothing to do. About 10am my buddy Mike called and asked if I could come do a quick little trim about 8 blocks away for $75, I said "sure, why not". Then about the time I finished that job, another guy called and asked if I'd be willing to go climb a small backyard removal this afternoon for $100, I said "sure, why not". Then the guy from a local plant nursury called and asked if I could come by and cut up a couple big chunks of wood for a landscape project and I said "sure, why not".

So my nothing day ended up turning into a productive day with three small projects accomplished and a few Benjamins in my pocket. :D

Made it through one tough school week!! Happy its finally Friday, and looking forward to the weekend. Tonight and tomorrow I'll be working on removing the screen from my 192T. Tomorrow I have to finish a job down the street we started earlier, just a few cuts. Then Sunday will be sweet, with my forest removal and storm damage repair!!!

I know how you feel. I worked today, but it was too ugly to take pictures. Condominium building clearance. No deadwood, no corrective pruning, just 10' clearance. Not 9', but 10'. No, don't cut those stubs back to a fork, just cut it off at 10' from the building. Oh, that other limb looks like it's a little too close, whack the end off of it as well.
:roll:

I kept my mouth shut and hacked off the limbs as instructed. The worst part was that they were all gung-ho about having an 'arborist' whack the limbs but they didn't want to let me make proper cuts or vary from the idiotic specs at all. But today I cannot be picky. I'm thankful for the work and hacked those trees with a smile on my face because I'll be able to make my mortgage payment next week.
8)

A few years back a couple of guys on another site raked me over the coals for a similar admission. I was ignorant of tree biology at the time but was referred to as a hack and was left with the impression that this type of work was totally unacceptable under any circumstances. I'm not calling you out Rocky, just celebrating the fact that you are indeed, a human being just like the rest of us.:)

good day here, done by noon. spent the rest of the day getting ready for tomorow morn, going cougar hunting. never gone specifily for cougars before so it should be fun. well, incredibly boring unless something shows (wildlife biologist told me where to go), then adreniline filled!

Back