How'd it go today?

Hell I never use a vise for sharpening. I sharpen on the job mostly. Saws are sharp all the time then and the days work is done when the day is done. It's just a cost of doing business for me. I roll with spare saws not so I can toss one aside if it gets dull, just so I can toss one aside if it acts up at all. Putting a vise on my chipper is on my winter to do list though.8)

Question. Does concrete driveway ALWAYS equal no crane?

I'm looking at either one day crane. or two day rig and drag.

Attachments

• New Bern Ave..JPG
    New Bern Ave..JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 10
  • New Bern Tree (1).JPG
    New Bern Tree (1).JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 9
The first pic shows the possible crane set up spot. It's a huge old pink house. Don't want the bill to fix this drive that's for sure.

...We'll see. I'll probably play it safe as far as the driveway goes.

Got to use the new Carlton today. Ground 19 stumps in about 2 hours. 3 different job sites. I hit a piece of steel on the 10th stump and chipped one of the teeth. Needed to order a couple sets for spares anyway. Forgot the camera. I'll have some action pics by the end of the week.

It doesn't look promising to me for a crane, unless you put down large steel plates. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like at least a ten ton to make the reach...maybe larger considering the first photo, if that fence is the end of the drive.

I think you will be fine on the Crane setup. Get a waiver signed for the driveway if its bugging you. If the driveway was poured to specs then a smaller crane will have problems setting up.

Andrew, I'd be sketchy putting a crane on it. I can't tell much from the pics but the crane will have insanely high point loading on the concrete that's probably 3-4" thick and maybe reinforced.

Also, as a company starting out, do you really have enough work to justify handing the crane company 1/3-1/2 of the days take? Handling money isn't the same as making money. Our valuable time is how we make money.

Got to use the new Carlton today. Ground 19 stumps in about 2 hours. 3 different job sites. I hit a piece of steel on the 10th stump and chipped one of the teeth. Needed to order a couple sets for spares anyway. Forgot the camera. I'll have some action pics by the end of the week.

Have you considered Green Teeth? I'm convinced they're tits until you go into the proprietary wheel designs that use their own teeth.

I hear ya about the time spent. The main motive for the crane is moving the bigger wood. The trunk is easily 40", and I ain't as big as you. :D

It's ok with me if no crane, and maybe I'll earn a merit badge for bein' bad a$$.

Attachments

• New Bern Tree (4).JPG
    New Bern Tree (4).JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
Carl I've got the sandvik wheel on this grinder. Looking at replacing my bobcat grinding wheel with one also. The teeth are pricey.

Thats a big tree Andrew.

In the picture where the crane could set up, is the tree right behind that fence or is it by the back side fence?
The bad ass merit badge is blood pinned. I'm not sure you'd be down with that ;).

The fence you see where the crane would set up is on one side of the pool. The fence the tree is next to is on the other side on the property line. You can get a better idea from the second picture, which looks at the pool.

First fire in the woodstove this season. Nice to be WARM instead of a tinge chilly all the time.

I'm planning on cutting wood again this winter. It's been about two years now I think. I'll go easy. :D

Shindaiwa Che?:D I ground the stump from my cottonwood job this morning and hauled the stumpgrindings in and loaded the tractor up and headed to the second job. There was a fresh concrete sidewalk right by the tree so we hit the road and I went and collected for the cottonwood.

Back