How'd it go today?

Brian, Wow. Your Rotella experience is way different from mine. Rotella has a superb reputation with truckers. 25 years ago my Dad was part time selling a super duper synthetic oil with moly which really was quite good. He had a amperage/pressure machine which allowed you to load a bearing and moniter at what level things got harder to spin and when the oil smoked/failed, bearing galled etc. He tested a bunch of oils. Quaker State sucked. Pennzoil was a bit btter than average for conventional oils, etc. Eventually he had a fleet owner say that if this stuff was significantly better that RotellaT he would switch over. They tested it. Dad's synthetic wonder lube was better but only slightly...and it cost 5 times as much. It pretty much deflated Dad's enthusiasm and he just told everyone that they ought to buy Rotella T 'cause it was very good and a bargain and he quit peddling the wonder stuff. Of course oil formulations have changed some in the past 25 years...... If someone can convince me that Del-Vac or something else is better I am interested.

I do like walmart bar oil for winter operations. That is alot of hours on your grinders. I hope I can get that out of my new grinder.

I bought a gallon of Walmart stuff to try, I remembered to skip the dealership in quest for cheaper oil that worked the same.

Walmart's ended up being 60-70 cents more than the dealership, and it was really thin. It's rated SAE30, which is quite thin compared to Stihl, which would be 90-120 I'm guessing and it looks like slightly dirty motor oil, like my Civic with 4k miles on the oil. I bought it 2-3 weeks ago, so it's really to early for "winter oil." I also noticed it smokes a good bit more under hard cutting conditions.

I figure it's something different than Brian gets, because I'm nearly certain he wouldn't put up with it, much less pay more than Stihl oil, much less recommend it.

2215 on the big grinder, 13 something on the small grinder.

The walmart brand last year was poulan in the black bottles. Red oil the stihl dealer sold the same stuff for around the same price per bottle when bought in a 6 pack. The green bottle oil they sell this year is terrible not very good lube properties imo

Walmart has blown out their price on bar oil to a nastty $8 per gallon. I swung by Autozone yesteday to pick-up some more Coastal Bar oil....oops it jumped to $8 per gallon also. Poulan is $5.17 in the Wally world garden center hiding amongst the X-mas decorations. My winter oil is used Hydraulic oil that I drained out of the Bucket. Used motor oil I won't do but Hydraulic oil is still nice and clean.

justin, if you have that filter problem again just drive a screw driver through it as high up as you can and use that to spin her off

Willie.-I know that trick-no dice I couldn't budge it. My calibrated elbow says it took well over 100 ft.lbs. to break that filter loose even After I put the torch on it.

Here I sit waiting for Tom the tree guy .The little runt called me up last night to borrow a long bar to fit an 084 .His got trashed

Evidently he has a big tree to block down and his 066 also bit the dust from a little tumble out of a bucket truck . I suggested a 36" on one of his 80 cc Huskies 181 or 281 . I have a 36 on a 2100 with a skip chain which I think that saw should pull .Certainly a lot easier that swinging a heavy 084 I would think .

Justin,

My two favorite tools for stubborn oil filters is a huge pair of channellocks and a chain vice grip that I extendede the chain a bit with old roller chain links.

The other trick, if you shred the filter body, is to make a notch in the base with a chisel and beat the sucker loose.

Overtightening is the cause of the problem. My dad used to give them 1/4 turn instead of the 1/2 to 3/4 turns recommended. I always worried he would blow out the sealing ring going so loose but he never did. I go a light 1/2 and they come off nice and easy.

You sure can over tighten a spin on filter ,I've done it ,oil on the ring or not .Hand tight is not strap wrench tight .Unless you have the arms of a great ape .

Done at noon today. Took down a blue spruce, 2 jap maples, and a white pine. Neighbor caught us and I had to trim a small norway maple over her roof. Easy day.

Felled a bunch of large ( large for here anyway!) Douglas firs for a special order from a sawmill that makes floorboards.
For a guy who's primarily a hardwood faller, setting saw to a large conifer is a rare treat.
I did all the limbing and bucking and let my apprentise fall most of the trees.
He was totally in hog heaven.

Did two dead pines today nothing overly eventful. One top I had to rig out right over a old REO Speedwagon. I wish I'd had my camera that's kind of a cool looking old rig.8)

Pieced out a mediumish oak over a house under construction then topped 2 decaying gums back to 10-12' high.

Ate lunch and came home. Got the teeth straightened out on the grinder and replaced the return fuel lines in preparation for tomorrows 4-5 hour grinding job.

ETA: I sharpened a saw today using a vice for the first time. Gotta admit, that was pretty nice!

It was indeed quite nice, would have liked for it to have been higher though. About 55" from the floor would be nice.

My left arm is a bit fatigued from catching a goodly sized top that turned out heavier than I expected. Nothing torn or sprained, just fatigued. It weighed too much for me to turn and operate the controls, so I'm guessing better than 200lbs. Still got it down without hurting anything :)

Well today had its ups and downs... The engine placement in the ford did not happen and I have to rent the cherry picker for another day.. MOTOR MOUNTS... They did not line up right.. Thank You INDIA! Yup thats where they are made now.. Holes on one 1/4 inch out and the other had too much metal that would crimp the side of the pan... GRRRRRR! So went into town and got my money back from NAPA (yeah should have known better there, but they had them in stock where the other two don't and their Dodge mounts did fit) Any way... Two places later had the right but have to wait for the left for tomorrow.
New seal in tranny went in fine. Noticed some things now from the rebuilder missing. Simple things like the Crank Pully and the nuts for the torque converter so far. So I will be getting those soon.... Was in the store and my boy had an accident (going through potty training) YUK! Oh well... Good trim job with chipping tomorrow... Brians check is on way to him for fixing the 200t and the bills are paid... And now I am an elder... Cold beer and wrenches... Lifes good.....

I'm beat!! The windows this weekend kicked my butt!! The wife stayed home Sunday and watched as I fought in frustration with my worn out batteries trying to cut the wall out to size! "Honey, lets go and get a couple of batteries, this is crazy!" OK?
So we go, can't even buy the damn bateries local anymore!! So I am looking at a cheap sawzall to get it done, and "Hey honey! Those batteries were going to be $100 each right?" Yup. "Well lets just get you a new kit and then you can still buy batteries for it.":O (She knows how much my last set has made over five years!)
OK then! The windows got done much easier after that:D
Doing a house paint job now, not a good time for that! But doing what I can, and the hous is needing more work as we go along. Using the new tools a LOT on this job:D But the tem barely hit 50 today, so no paint went on, low tonight is 27!
Came home to a "mystery box" that I am going to have to kick someonse butt over! (thanks again!)

On the oil change, I switched my last truck over to Royal Purple. I gained 2mpg and after tearing that motor down, 156k of HARD use, I am nothing but impressed!
I was going to run it in the new truck, but it was $22 differance between doing it myself, and having a shop put in Mobile 1. I gained nothing! Next time I will either do it myself, or pay the shop to put in my oil. "Why the shop Andy?" you ask? Because the have/know what fluids that need to be checked and topped off. I'll be damned if I know what tranny fluid goes in that sucker, it seems there is a new one a month! The rearend has an LSD that needs a special addative that has to mixed in porportiante to the oil. They top off the washer fluid etc. For me to go out and buy all of this stuff, and have it sitting here, kinda a PITA with all the other CRAP I already have. Just my take!
The best way I have found to deal with filter of any sort is a nylon strap wrench. I found one that with 1/2" or 3/8" ratchets/exensions. It will crush the whole filter evenly and allows access from the top or bottom.
OK, long winded post over.

Sorry you tougin it out andy ... Hey we used to use the royal purple for racing SCA and red line also.. They both were awesome... I too have a situation with an LSD on the 4wd van we have... The Factory oil (chevy) sucks... lends to a bumping noise in the differential... We have to have it changed to a synthetic I cant remember the name of to stop the thump thump. You would think they would figure this out at the factory and right it before they sell it... Yeah right!

People keep telling me and my uncle 'in order to work as a team we have to put our heads together'. It didn't work so well for us.:/:

Attachments

• DSCN1265.jpg
    DSCN1265.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 12
Sorry you tougin it out andy ... Hey we used to use the royal purple for racing SCA and red line also.. They both were awesome... I too have a situation with an LSD on the 4wd van we have... The Factory oil (chevy) sucks... lends to a bumping noise in the differential... We have to have it changed to a synthetic I cant remember the name of to stop the thump thump. You would think they would figure this out at the factory and right it before they sell it... Yeah right!

It's all good Stephen. I like this type of work a lot better! It just takes a while to get work lined up again after being out ot it/turning down work for the last year.
I get to set my own hours, don't have to answer the phone if I don't want to, or turn it off, which means I can take my son fishing and spend time with him! Quite the novel concept!!
I hope to be able to get setup and be rolling good enough that by the time this strike is over if they do call me back, I don't have to go!
Yes, it's a little tight, but we set back and the money will come in time.

Back