How'd it go today?

Went back to that job today.
IMG-20241018-085857711.jpg

I was off a bit on my tree measurement. 5.1' DBH with a tape. Still a big tree. Also found it was hollow while I was pulling the tape...

IMG-20241018-092825792.jpg

Also saw grave markers. They look like they may have been repourposed section markers. Maybe for pets?

IMG-20241018-103529315.jpg

Hornet nest!

IMG-20241018-113119594.jpg

A lot to unpack with this ERC. I'd have to study it more to see what all's going on.

IMG-20241018-113344455.jpg

Pretty cool little piece of land. Lots to see in a couple acres. I might go back on my own time and poke around a bit more. Maybe try to find more of the house foundation, and poke around in the RR RoW.

edit:
Forgot. I also got the Fluid Film and box of files today. I emptied a can of the FF under the truck so far, and could probably lose another can, but I'll wait a bit, and target it more precisely. It doesn't smell too bad, but it definitely smells like animals, and not auto chemicals. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's definitely different. The 11/64" files seem like a good match for the lp .325. They may become too big when the chain get to EOL, but I like the fit now better than the recommended 5/32".

Last edited:
Has anyone that's used Fluid Film had any issues with rubber? They warn that some kinds of rubber can absorb it and become soft. That makes me a little leery of spraying it around suspension bushings and stuff like that. Any concern there?

Finally got off my ass to look for pawpaws, and there wasn't a pawpaw to be found. I could've sworn I saw some with fruit this summer. Maybe I'm too late?

IMG-20241020-110221681.jpg

I did get a sapling(I hope) to keep the one in my yard company. It's partner was killed by cicadas. Dumb question... This is pawpaw, right? It was growing near the rest, but the leaves look a bit different. I'm hoping it's because it's young.
IMG-20241020-111945441.jpg

IMG-20241020-112005991.jpg

edit:
doing anything on a phone sucks :^S

Last edited:
Finally got off my ass to look for pawpaws, and there wasn't a pawpaw to be found. I could've sworn I saw some with fruit this summer. Maybe I'm too late?

IMG-20241020-110221681.jpg

I did get a sapling(I hope) to keep the one in my yard company. It's partner was killed by cicadas. Dumb question... This is pawpaw, right? It was growing near the rest, but the leaves look a bit different. I'm hoping it's because it's young.
IMG-20241020-111945441.jpg

IMG-20241020-112005991.jpg

edit:
doing anything on a phone sucks :^S
Kinda looks like pawpaw

Yea, posting has been slow for me also. In other news, the day's started with a flat tire. Six plugs and it's still leaking. It's at the shop getting dealt with. Also, it looks like I'm getting all the rope from wesspur. I got shipment notification, and everything's there :^)

Put in a long day. A pair of good sized sugar maple removals that were not terribly bad, just kinda tedious. Then went and looked at tomorrow’s job to decide if I was able to use the crane. Which almost anyone who has ever been around one would have known that it could be utilized for the job. Then off to give a coworker a hand on a side job that he really bit off more than he could chew. I walked him through the process of getting the spar rigged down. It was a lot bigger wood than he has done before and he was nervous about it. I ran the ropes to make him more comfortable. Getting home in time to see the kids off to bed. I’m not gonna return to that habit. Now to eat, shower and off to bed

An update on my boot repair...

IMG-20241024-083524506.jpg

It's held up pretty well. You can see one edge that's starting to come up, but it's otherwise solid. It's been in mud, brush, stickers, concrete, and been completely soaked. Only thing I'd really do different is omit the skim coat of shoegoo I put on top. it didn't really add much value.

So, last night, I rolled into Snowflake to purchase a phone card. Got to the speedway station took a pee and grabbed a drink. When I came out, the truck wouldn't start. Changed solenoid, nothing. It's the starter.

So I spent the night at Wyatt's place, bought a new starter and got under the truck, where I was kicked in the nuts. There's a bolt head broken off. Here's the kicker, the hole in the starter that it goes through, is threaded. Pull the other bolt, and the starter is still firmly married to the truck. Needs a drill and easy-out. Too bad, no room for a drill.

This isn't a parking lot fix.

So I'm 30 miles from a job that don't pay anyway, with the truck that is my home, broken down. I'm having a bit of an existential crisis. What little savings I have is about to be eaten up by this problem, and I can't get to work (at my shitty job) to fix that. I'm supposed to be headed to Cali, and now I'm on the hoof. Having a bit of a moment here, but this too shall pass.

I'm so done with all of the bullshit I seem to be wading through lately. I just want to work, make my money, and move on with my life. It's been ages since I could put my pants on standing up. I'm tired of living in my truck, I'm feeling a bit tired of everything.

It ain't all bad, and it could be worse, life is still pretty good, but boy am I frustrated right now.

Yeah, if you take the other bolt out, with the bolt head gone, it should just come off the bell housing. If it gets stripped out grtting it out, I have bought a smaller bolt in the past and a nut that can go all the way through. Just tighten. Not perfect, but works.

I was mistaken. Of all the goofy shit that Ford has done, this one threw me for a loop. One bolt goes through the starter into the bellhousing, one goes through the bellhousing into the starter. I felt a bit retarded. Starter is swapped, but the battery wouldn't crank. Pull started it, with some difficulty. I'm taking a break for a bit.

Back