How'd it go today?

Got home early and brushed my chimney and cleaned the gutters. Still have to vacuum the stovepipe, but I can do that any time. I need to think about putting up new gutters. The ones I have are getting pretty shitty, and pulling away from the fascia. I need to see what's available. I'd prefer going old school and using brackets to hang the gutters instead the hidden nonsense that got popular at some point. Also need to decide if I want to do seamed gutters myself, or pay someone to install seamless. I'm leaning towards doing it myself.

Got home early and brushed my chimney and cleaned the gutters. Still have to vacuum the stovepipe, but I can do that any time. I need to think about putting up new gutters. The ones I have are getting pretty shitty, and pulling away from the fascia. I need to see what's available. I'd prefer going old school and using brackets to hang the gutters instead the hidden nonsense that got popular at some point. Also need to decide if I want to do seamed gutters myself, or pay someone to install seamless. I'm leaning towards doing it myself.
Are you familiar with gutter screws to replace stripped gutter spikes? Likely, you do.

I just had to change a few.

What part is shitty?

Some people used to make old- growth cedar gutters, here. Saw one in a pile at a customer's house a long time ago.

Occasionally when I need a flat blade screw driver (usually for tuning a saw or adjusting the oil pump), if I remember to I'll use 2 round files, and file the end of one file into a flat blade with the other.
A raker file is easier to file a flat, I suspect. Easy for me when I've done it.

A raker file is easier to file a flat, I suspect. Easy for me when I've done it.
I don't always keep one handy. Many small screwdrivers have a tapered tip, not far off from having a rounded slope. Stihl screws have rounded slot heads too. I just start the round file back a bit, then file the tip to get a flat section.

Worth a seamless quote, I think.

So, last night, I rolled into Snowflake to purchase a phone card. Got to the speedway station took a pee and grabbed a drink. When I came out, the truck wouldn't start. Changed solenoid, nothing. It's the starter.

So I spent the night at Wyatt's place, bought a new starter and got under the truck, where I was kicked in the nuts. There's a bolt head broken off. Here's the kicker, the hole in the starter that it goes through, is threaded. Pull the other bolt, and the starter is still firmly married to the truck. Needs a drill and easy-out. Too bad, no room for a drill.

This isn't a parking lot fix.

So I'm 30 miles from a job that don't pay anyway, with the truck that is my home, broken down. I'm having a bit of an existential crisis. What little savings I have is about to be eaten up by this problem, and I can't get to work (at my shitty job) to fix that. I'm supposed to be headed to Cali, and now I'm on the hoof. Having a bit of a moment here, but this too shall pass.

I'm so done with all of the bullshit I seem to be wading through lately. I just want to work, make my money, and move on with my life. It's been ages since I could put my pants on standing up. I'm tired of living in my truck, I'm feeling a bit tired of everything.

It ain't all bad, and it could be worse, life is still pretty good, but boy am I frustrated right now.
If you need a new starter or battery call me. Or msg me. I can buy it on line and have you pick it up at the store. So long as I know which store and location and your full name. I get corporate discounts at OReillys just to make a note.

I would do a voltage check once you get it running, that sounds like it could be a battery or alternator problem, or maybe a solenoid. Around here in salt land the grounding cables will also corrode, so cleaning them can make a huge difference too

Just get whatever the hardware store has.

Quite often loose/dirty battery cables are to blame. I'd check them first. Usually starters are slow and intermittent to go out. Cable connection points can corrode or wire strands break there, also check the connection at the starter. Many people don't understand even the basics of jump starting. the tiny little clamp teeth points can only deliver so many amps, not to mention the dirt they are clamped onto. Unfortunately 12v, means very little ability to overcome resistance, so clean, firmly clamped, high surface area contact is required.

I've always wanted to try push starting an automatic. Should work, right?

I wonder if the key/ignition could be worn out, or have dirty contacts. Many electrical problems are from dirty contacts. Abrasion can build up metal oxide dust on contacts that rub. I have a turn signal stick that occasionally doesn't work. Also one of the bulbs occasionally needs pulled and put back in, and a window butting needs a firm press to work. I got a 1970's electronic pipe organ working much better simply by cleaning all electrical connections.

Truck runs again. I toasted the battery faffing about with everything so that had to be replaced too. Seems my in tank fuel pump has also decided to take a poop, luckily, ive got an auxiliary in line pump, so that foreseen problem is solved.

I love my truck, but at this point, everytime I get a bit of money in my pocket, something has to be fixed. Also had to cancel my weekend plans due to lack of finances. Next, the damn boss will be back to not paying me.

Oh well, it was still a decent day, Big Dave came over to lend a hand driving me for parts and pull starting the truck. We may have also taken a break and snuck off to go fishing for a little bit. Didn't catch anything, but it was still nice.

Because the engine has to be tied together with the entire drive train to the wheels before it's attempted to start, something usually only possible with a manual.

Off today myself. Boss had percs. I don't expect to do anything aside from the laundry. I just handwashed a pair of socks cause they somehow escaped going into the machine. Not that I need them, but they're shitty socks, and I want to wear them out this warm weather season. Get them ready for Monday, so I can get the most use out them. That way, I won't feel bad when they become rags.

Back