How'd it go today?

What if they made the torque specification based on not using anything?
Generally torque values are given in two specs: dry torque, and lubed torque. Dry values are much higher than lubed values. For instance my chipper bolts are 210ftlbs lubed but would be close to 350ftlbs dry. I use grease and have for a long time, never had a bolt get loose on me.

Finally found it in the manual. It was in the torque spec chart. It says all values are for dry, clean threads. It doesn't give lubricated values. 70#-80#

With a pretty nice spell of weather over the last week or so, only one rainy day in the last 8 days, M and I have been getting after a few items on the honey do list.

We replaced about 120 lineal feet of PT 2x6 decking on the back deck and a couple of 8 foot long by 12 inch wide treads on the front porch stairs. We generally have to replace a few boards every 5 or 6 years, but this year it was time for a bit more.

In one of those "why the hell have I not done this before...it has needed doing since we built this house in 1988!?" projects that ended up far simpler than I would have guessed, I cut out a 2'x3' rectangle of siding on the tall end of the porch skirting and built a door to access the underside of the porch. This will make replacing several boards on the porch decking easier, since I will need to sister some joists to simplify that job. One more trip to the lumber yard should do it for a few more 2x6's, and we can finish up the porch work later this week.

Good to get these projects done, and it has been straightforward and easy work in the bargain :).
Thats on my list as well. Have to wait now. New 2x6. Front deck.

Do those get the bolts through the knives? Mine just clamp it, no holes in the knives so if it loosens it could fly, a through bolt would likely fall out first (still bad, but the through bolt is likely safer). Can you get to the backside of the bolt? Is it a nut or a tapped hole? Mines a blind tapped hole in the drum (which also has the shaft going through it so it's just solid steel), and pulls an allen head bolt down on a tapered block, which clamps the knife, aka the worst possible thread repair you could attempt without large machine tools (which i have at this point but i still would hate to have to do it). Everything's at a wierd angle, the bolt is wayyyyyyy harder than the steel and any bits you have, the thing weighs several hundred pounds, nothing is flat for a mag drill, you may end up welding it shut then drilling and tapping it, you're into the main bearings likely, and when it's all said and done it has to be balanced again.

Because that's the possible consequence of a stuck bolt on my machine, I'm gonna use neversieze. Rain and tree matter will rust stuff up, and i don't wanna ever have to do that :lol: Every bolt on everything i repair gets neversieze, and i only fight bolts on stuff i haven't ever touched yet.

The Bandits were 180 ft lbs dry. Bolts went through the knife into the drum. If they were supposed to be lubed, I'm sure Paul would have spec'd it that way, being a stickler for details.

Do those get the bolts through the knives? Mine just clamp it, no holes in the knives so if it loosens it could fly, a through bolt would likely fall out first (still bad, but the through bolt is likely safer). Can you get to the backside of the bolt? Is it a nut or a tapped hole?
It goes through the knife with a hex head on top. You can access it through the hood.

Screenshot_2024-10-06_23-11-38.png

Back