How'd it go today?

Trail job. Everything sucked, but I'm done for another day I guess. Staked piles and piers for excavation. Ate a quick lunch and spent about an hour brushcutting so we can continue LOD.

Found a stoneware shard. Judging by the diameter, it's an old water bottle, possibly German. On the upper left, you can kinda see whorls, which I think from the hand that made it. They didn't turn out great in the pic. My choices were grainy and the whorls popped, or clear(ish) with the whorls subdued. Anyway, it's a cool piece of junk. Hoping I find better junk before the job's over.

IMG_20240909_161237676.jpg

I have been curious for a long time. I live out in the wide open countryside. I have seen some property lines marked that were off 40 feet. Before satellite, but still?

My property had an offset where it crossed the road. The one side had been surveyed prior. I looked at the dimensions on the deed and it did not match up with the newly surveyed side. The surveyor told me my dimensions meant nothing. He then tried to set me up by asking where I thought another corner was. I told him if he looked he could find 2 pins 40 feet apart, so I had no idea where the corner was. I did, but that blew his strategy all to hell. He adjusted the mark, not because he was wrong he said.

My property had an offset where it crossed the road. The one side had been surveyed prior. I looked at the dimensions on the deed and it did not match up with the newly surveyed side. The surveyor told me my dimensions meant nothing. He then tried to set me up by asking where I thought another corner was. I told him if he looked he could find 2 pins 40 feet apart, so I had no idea where the corner was. I did, but that blew his strategy all to hell. He adjusted the mark, not because he was wrong he said.
That's crazy. I'm used to homeowners telling where they think their lines are, and 99/100, they're wrong. Depending on where you are, you always listen more or less closely. They can be helpful on big parcels, Usually all but useless on platted subdivisions. The guy changing his layout on fly by your word, and trying to scam you(!) into thinking he's right sounds like malfeasance.

Surveying has it's moments. You get to see a lot of cool things people don't usually get to see. From the city to deep country. My favorite thing is finding stuff. Road trinkets, treasure boxes, glass dumps, abandoned houses... I found a collapsed log house once I bet was from the 18th century. It was so far in the woods, I have no idea what the access was. We were just heading crosscountry, and there it was. Looked too dangerous to go inside, but I'd have loved to have checked it out. Move too much though, and the rest could come down on top of you.

Our company(not me personally) helped map the US capitol building after 9/11. They didn't have any plans for the building, and wanted to be able to replace it if something happened(terrorism). We set targets on the building, and someone else came in with a laser scanner to map every mm of it.

There's also lots of line cutting. One of the worst ones I was on was a quarry. Thousands of feet swinging a machete through rosa multiflora up and down extremely steep slopes. I don't do much machete work anymore. I have big machine that likes to eat brush, so I take that if there's gonna be a lot of clearing to do.

Anyway, it's not a bad job as far as work goes. Almost makes up for the low pay. Get to see something different every day.

David knock that crap off. I hate hurting my fingers!

I made a mess or three today. The customer is really cool, one of those guys you just enjoy working for. It don't hurt that they're slash and dash trims. He's handling all clean up.
20240911_161503.jpg
I made the boss look bad because I did all my trees spurless, like a good boy. Customer asked about it too, and I simply said it's bad practice to spike trees you're not removing, regardless how thick the bark is. Did four trees from two tie ins, in less time than it took the young buck to stab to pines half to death.

My Echo 355t needs carb work, so it was all on the silky today, and that needs a new blade. Who'd have thunk it with all the desert ponderosa collars it's been working with. Also, the boss keeps hitting metal with it. Like his carabiners and the Ds on his harness.

H
Uh

Why is he the boss and not the other way around?
He owns the company. That's really it. Word is getting out about me. Mogollon Tree Service is convinced I'm the best climber on the mountian, though they ain't got the work to give me a job. That's the whole reason I've kept with the kid, to get my name back in peoples minds, to reestablmy reputation. The boss is getting nervous about losing me. This is a good thing. Things will improve one way or another.

Also, love you David, hope to come see you this winter, maybe go play in your brittle eucs.

H
He owns the company. That's really it. Word is getting out about me. Mogollon Tree Service is convinced I'm the best climber on the mountian, though they ain't got the work to give me a job. That's the whole reason I've kept with the kid, to get my name back in peoples minds, to reestablmy reputation. The boss is getting nervous about losing me. This is a good thing. Things will improve one way or another.

Also, love you David, hope to come see you this winter, maybe go play in your brittle eucs.
I would love to see you get your feet under the table with a good company And really get some momentum going in your life.

@flushcut is it normal for Indians to mix 50/50 English and Hindi? I was watching a video that started in English, then suddenly more and more nonsense was thrown in. I thought I wasn't understanding the accent until I figured out the speaker must have been speaking another language. It threw me off more when everyone in the comments were, in english, praising the clarity of the presentation.

@flushcut is it normal for Indians to mix 50/50 English and Hindi? I was watching a video that started in English, then suddenly more and more nonsense was thrown in. I thought I wasn't understanding the accent until I figured out the speaker must have been speaking another language. It threw me off more when everyone in the comments were, in english, praising the clarity of the presentation.
It’s more common for them to be speaking Hindi and throw in English words than the other way around. But it can happen either way. Most Indians speak English fairly well so travel there is easy. British occupation/thievery/barbarism of India for almost 100 years is to thank for that.

FiREFIGHTERZERO, dang, livin the dream.

I would love to spend a week with y’all, heck you could probably have a business just letting city folks come for a week.
True, but not many would stick around for the REAL work. Imagine a soy boy taking on a young calf, first head butt and they’d be scarred for life. Maybe just a new found respect for beef. 🥩 lol

Back