How'd it go today?

Staked out a bridge on a small job. The plans sucked. I had the bare minimum data to to compute what was needed, jumping through lots of hoops, and no way to check the comps. Stake it out and see if it looks about right. There can be a big gap between "about right" and "right". Hopefully I'm closer to the "right" side.

Saw this. It was recently cut. Foreman said the guy spent 7 hours on it...

IMG_20240903_121958149.jpg

Got home, shortened grass, and I'm now waiting on a package. My trees have taken a beating this year. Looks like I lost a couple more hemlock branches; probably from the drought and it's poor health. Also, a couple lower branches on one of my dawn redwoods died. I'm hoping it's just cause it's in a shady spot, and it's a natural culling, but the bugs in the pine have me spooked.

We're taking a break in the shop, and we can hear the timbers checking. At first, I thought it was a big mouse chewing on something, but then we saw cracks actually opening up in front of us. I've never seen, or heard, this before.View attachment 141127
My firewood in the house makes noises all summer. I was wondering if you kiln dry your timber?

We're taking a break in the shop, and we can hear the timbers checking. At first, I thought it was a big mouse chewing on something, but then we saw cracks actually opening up in front of us. I've never seen, or heard, this before.View attachment 141127
I talked about a hickory log splitting itself not that long ago, weird for sure,

Back