How'd it go today?

In these parts they are all or almost all rotary disc, afaik. Beastly machines that cut most trees in a second or two.

Worked with Mike deadwooding and doing an end weight reduction on some hickories, and removing deadwood(most of the tree's dead) on a black(I think) oak.

The oak was a bastard. Stuff everywhere on the ground, so I couldn't see the full scope of work from any one place, and Mike couldn't see down from the tree. Everything was over the house, and the oak was sketchy. Mike did a fantastic job climbing. Lots of mosquitoes. I took a bunch of pics, but they didn't turn out great, so I'll only post two...

Way out on a hickory limb...

IMG_20240824_105537735.jpg

Bastard oak...

IMG_20240824_135317830.jpg
He might be in a hickory there to access the oak. Can't quite see.

Well finish tomorrow. A tulip poplar still needs to be done, and the brush chipped.

Beautiful sky David!

Just got back from finishing up the job with Mike. Everything went well, except I lost my glasses, and I can't see shit without my glasses. I was dragging a limb around a tree, and branch caught my face and threw the glasses /somewhere/. Maybe they went into orbit. Mike backed the chipper out of the drive for me, and I got it home without my glasses. It's a little cattywampus in the drive, but it's also farther back than before which I prefer, so I'm calling that a draw.

I've found two pair of backup glasses so far. I'll keep looking, but that should be sufficient til I buy another set. Annoying as shit, but I guess I won't have a fuzzball on the corner of the frame anymore where I tied a constrictor to keep the frame together. The screw had rotted out, and there was a stub left in each hole, so I couldn't use my normal trick of a piece of wire. The constrictor never failed, so I left well enough alone and kept there, but it looked dumb. About as nerdy as scotch taped glasses, but perhaps a bit more artful :^D

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of that pair...
One would think, but they're only two years old, and the screw rotted out about a year ago. I bought stainless so it would hold up to sweat, but they apparently used Chinesium screws. I'm going back to walmart tomorrow to order a new pair. Unless something jumps out at me, I'll get the same crappy things. I liked them cause they were low profile. Found my prescription, and it expires the second of next month, so I'll at least save the money of getting another eye exam.

Stakeout on the trail today. It was hot, and I just wasn't feelin' it. Had some clearing action going behind me...

IMG_20240826_094342151.jpg

Made it hard to concentrate with saws going and trees falling. Much more interesting than staking baseline and pier footers. Went to a different part of the job and did some more LOD. Found a turtle. Those are always cool...

IMG_20240826_125149876.jpg

My found glasses aren't exactly right, and the woods over there felt a little unworldly. I couldn't exactly see, and I just felt disconnected from everything. Finished off at a section that's gonna be a real motherfucker. Nothing but 12' tall briers, with trees and highway on one side, and trees and subdivision on the other. Looks to me like straight up the middle with my brushcutter is the best way to tackle it, and set control outside the LOD as we go up the middle. I'm hoping we're far enough ahead of them cool weather will be here before it has to be done.

Stopped at walmart for new glasses. Got the same brand I think, but different shape, and titanium instead of stainless. Hopefully they'll be good enough. $363, and I'll have them by the end of the week if I'm lucky.

edit:
just pulled wetland flagging out of my pocket, which reminds me I forgot to get the wetland buffers staked. Always something... I guess I can get those next time I'm out...

Last edited:
I guarantee I *did not* do this :^D Live and learn. I said I didn't want my first full teardown to be a tophandle, but maybe it will be. Doesn't do any good sitting in a box, and if I screw it up, I'll still have the parts. Won't be any time soon though. I'm nowhere near motivated enough for saw surgery.
They are pretty easy if you have an impact driver and are able to rotate the crank completely. getting the flywheel off is the hardest part in my opinion.

Today is my one year anniversary on The Tree House!

(Okay, sooo...it’s coming up, but I’m too impulsive and way too disorganized to wait until the actual day and I’m worried I will forget to do this, so here it is...)

For better or for worse, I joined Oct 9, 2022, and I have been an active participant ever since. I have posted 1,039 messages and I have also learned quite a lot. I came here looking to use this forum as a repository of knowledge, insight, and imagery for my journey designing and developing friction hitches, and to promote my humble YouTube channel, and I have since come to spend a lot of my free time here socializing with all of you.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me learn about trees and tree climbing and everyone who has simply been a friend to me. I know that sometimes I’m not an easy person to get along with and nor am I always easy to understand. I appreciate everyone’s support and I wish more people knew about this forum because they are definitely missing out.

I want to give extra special thanks to a few people…

@Brocky Damn, man. No amount of verbiage can adequately express the amount of gratitude that I have for all of the time you spent teaching me and mentoring me about friction hitches and climbing in general. You are an absolute wealth of information and I am happy to have been taught a lot of it directly by you, a reputable production climber and fellow hitch connoisseur. You deserve my admiration and tons of respect.

@Fiddler You were the first and only person to formally reach out to me when I joined this forum and you offered to listen to me talk about my struggles because you found my life, in many areas, to be very relatable. I will never forget your selfless willingness to simply be a friend to someone you knew might need one. Rest in peace.

@lxskllr You have always been a solid friend and ally here. We may not always agree, but you have never lashed out or judged me. You seem to appreciate my stupid sense of humor and unusual antics more than most people and it’s really nice to see you support my comments, even if nobody else does. You’ve been a continuous, active follower of my hitch thread and that is really special for me. If nobody interacted with my thread, I’d probably lose interest and quit posting. So thank you for keeping me engaged. You’re also the only other hobby climber that I know of here (I’m sure there are more that are less active)..

@WoodCutr We became friends quite some time ago. You offered to help me learn how to splice, starting with something simple and easy: Tenex Tec. We also bonded over hitch cords and spectrum disorders, and you are always supportive and I fully appreciate it

@Burnham I appreciate your willingness to give me advice when I ask for it and for being understanding when it matters the most, instead of being judgmental. You’ve helped guide my decision making, helped me properly understand situations, and you are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to trees and climbing.

@Treeaddict You have continuously shown your support for my posts just as much as @lxskllr, and so I hereby knight you a Friend of Knotorious. You’re always there to reinforce the notion that, via a simple “like” of one of my comments, that you think I have worthwhile things to say and to share on this forum. Few people are as supportive of my contributions as you are, so thank you. I’m glad we are on the same wavelength.

@stig I don’t know you, but I feel like we see eye to eye on some issues. You’ve been a friend of my hitch thread and I feel like you have a ton of knowledge about the fields of tree climbing and logging. You seem like you’re a master of your craft. Your profile picture says it all. Respect.

@Bermy Once again, RESPECT. For you to have so much approbation in the field of arboriculture, especially as a female in a male-dominated occupation, you are worth paying attention to. You also seem to have a very interesting life in a very unique part of the world. Thank you for always being kind towards me.

@Mick! At first I thought you were an adversary, breaking my balls wherever you saw an opportunity. But more recently, when you helped me rediscover my old home, I felt like the energy between us changed. I was really appreciative of that. You can still break my balls if you see fit; I’m from Boston, MA. We practically wrote the book on breaking balls.

@davidwyby For taking the time to invite me to one of your tutorials in California. Not sure if this is still happening, but I am grateful, regardless, for the altruistic networking on your behalf since we live so closeby.

@gf beranek Thank you for listening to me rant at random via DM and for respecting me and my privacy. You are also a legitimate old schooler and you have an abundance of uniquely important and helpful information for the current climber, as well as copious quantities of useful and enjoyable-to-read personal anecdotes from the days of old.

@lumberjack You have always been so fair and just with matters regarding me cross posting between YouTube and this forum. In general, you seem to know what you’re doing and I appreciate everything you do to keep this forum alive and thriving.

There are many other names of people who have helped and inspired me and who have allowed me to feel confident enough to post on this forum. If you weren’t listed, I apologize. Just know that I did this off of the top of my head and I’m already super disorganized. Just know that you, too, are appreciated.

Here’s to another year with That Guy With The Face aka @Knotorious! I’m here to stay!
This may be the longest post in TH history with an unusual ending.

I took the day off to recover from yesterday's poor timber lifting choices. I got a few things done that had to get done during the week. I trout it was also a good time to tackle my garage door. Balancing the cable drums was finicky, as was figuring out how much extra winding was necessary to keep the cables on the drum when it was all the way up. It'll be nice to have the door working again.
Pro tip: throw everything in your garage away. Even if you want it. It will just be in your way when you need to work on your doors. :/:

Back