How'd it go today?

Very bad news Steven, very sorry to read it, 25 ft is some height, could have been worse.

I don’t fully comprehend what happened, maybe someone who does could draw a picture or something

(Not Steven, he’s got his hands full atm)

As I understand it, he had an anchor hitch attached to a biner or ring on his bridge. He spent a fair amount of time with the hitch unweighted, and with the movement and rubbing up against the tree, the hitch loosened and slipped, dropping him.

I have the same reaction as cory. I've never had an anchor come loose, and almost all of my lines are stiff, and wouldn't be considered 'good knotting' ropes.

So. Home now.
Hurt like mule kick.
Super stiff.
Neck brace and no surgery for now.
Cant do diddly. Dr. told none of this or that. Called me lucky. Could have been way worse.
So neck brace for 6 weeks. Then more x rays and such. If I am a good boy,no surgery if it heals right. Pretty clean break, probably will.
No Idea about getting back to work. Cant until it heals or I could be Iron Sides.
Cant drive.
So, once I am up to it, ride along to direct jobs. Finish out my weak schedule and see what brings.
Finished (mostly) the two scheduled larger jobs. Just down to a couple monthly visits and a lift day. Canceling that.
See what we need to do to keep the lights on.

Did my usual dumb shit. Nothing interesting. Installed my new rear window...

IMG_20240822_103418785.jpg
IMG_20240822_111310850.jpg

Note the fine craftsmanship. I opted for artisan white pine instead of spruce. You'll also notice it isn't quite straight. My summer help assisted, and you know what they say about summer help; summer, sumaren't

:^P

That looks as shite as the first one on your other truck :P. I ask again...no insurance? Glass replacement is often a no-cost item, as the glass shops will frequently pay your deductible just to get the business...at least here that is so.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the insurance. That truck isn't worth new glass. That window is the least of the problems going on. AFAIC, it's better than what was there. It blocks light, blocks eyes, and is more secure. Looks? Couldn't care less. A truck is like a hammer. You use it, then throw in the box til the next time. Besides, uglier is better. The stuff I carry in the truck is worth more than the truck itself. I prefer people assuming I have nothing worth entering for ;^)

edit:
In other news, I took a look at my old 2511, and can see no signs of a belt in the cylinder. It's in there though, so I guess the whole thing has to be broken down. That may never end up happening. I drained the tanks, and I guess it'll go into storage til I need a tophandle, or need parts off of it. Maybe some day if I get bored and feel like I need more frustration in my life...

Last edited:
The problem is I can't see anything in the cylinder. There's a tiny portal looking through the exhaust port, and through the sparkplug hole I can only see the top of the piston. I'm guessing the piece of belt is mashed up against the top of the cylinder, and around the plug hole. A grabber /might/ work to go fishing, and hope I grab something, but I'm not super optimistic.

edit:
IOW, this feels like one of those effort saving tactics that makes you regret not doing it the right way about 2 hours into the procedure :^D

edit2:
I could stick a wire through the exhaust port, and see if I can feel anything, and perhaps loosen it up. That would be easy enough. If I could get it loose, I could maybe grab it with forceps.

Last edited:
The problem is I can't see anything in the cylinder. There's a tiny portal looking through the exhaust port, and through the sparkplug hole I can only see the top of the piston. I'm guessing the piece of belt is mashed up against the top of the cylinder, and around the plug hole. A grabber /might/ work to go fishing, and hope I grab something, but I'm not super optimistic.

edit:
IOW, this feels like one of those effort saving tactics that makes you regret not doing it the right way about 2 hours into the procedure :^D

edit2:
I could stick a wire through the exhaust port, and see if I can feel anything, and perhaps loosen it up. That would be easy enough. If I could get it loose, I could maybe grab it with forceps.
Probably what happened is when you stuck the cord in the cylinder it went through one of the intake ports and is now jammed up in between the piston and port when you tried to remove the clutch. When you use a knotted up cord as a piston stop you need to make sure the piston is near the top of it's stroke before stuffing the cord in the spark plug hole.

Last edited:
When you use a knotted up cord as a piston stop you need to make sure the piston is near the top of it's stroke before stuffing the cord in the spark plug hole.
I guarantee I *did not* do this :^D Live and learn. I said I didn't want my first full teardown to be a tophandle, but maybe it will be. Doesn't do any good sitting in a box, and if I screw it up, I'll still have the parts. Won't be any time soon though. I'm nowhere near motivated enough for saw surgery.

Back