How'd it go today?

filled in a couple different forms for two govt agencies this morning.
I'm sure most here know that they work things a bit strangely & such. I can usually muddle through these fairly well, but today I had to call and explain that between my pounding head and the pills I'm on I needed talked through the form. :|: The lady was not happy sounding at first, but as I whizzed through my questions on the sections she started sounding a lot friendlier. :lol:

Needed to get on their website to turn in some proof of stuff...no dice. tried two different avenues 5 times each. New avenue to be taken in a little while here when I'm back in the mood.

I was down most of the afternoon not able to do much other than take the dog out a few times. Too much screen time I think.

Doing better now. Fiddled around a bit on some tunes, had a decent meal, & kinda settling in for the evening.

Hope y'all have a good night.

I got up this morning feeling pretty awful. I slept terribly for some reason. I procured some caffeine and spent some time catching up on various whatnot on the interwebs.

Today I had planned on filming a how-to video for the RADS (rapid ascent descent system), which many of you are likely familiar with. It has seen use in pretty much every discipline of climbing from rock climbing, to rescue, to caving and even tree climbing.

In my opinion, the RADS is a great place for beginner climbers to start. Despite the obnoxious changeover one must make in order to switch from ascent to descent arrange, the mechanical advantage involved, as well as the aid of a foot loop (something simple to stand on) and hand ascender (something to grab that is natural feeling) add a sense of security on the way up. And then, when descending, using something like a GriGri is quite simple and foolproof.

I ended up going back to the same pine tree on the perimeter of my apartment complex’s property and pulled up a line. At one point, I did the same thing as the other day, where I went all the way up to the top of the tree, believing I was being filmed, only to discover that, although it was filming this time, I had forgotten to adjust the camera so that it would be pointing upward.

I decided not to let that ruin my day and moved the camera, clipped back in and did it all over again. It’s good exercise if nothing else.

I also managed to get sap on my rope which caused the rope to semi-stuck in the cam of my GriGri every now and again. So, this time when it was time to rappel, I just got some momentum early on and just blasted right through the sap.

Anyways, my video came out great and my goal was to provide helpful education for the new climber, and even the experienced climber; anyone interested in the RADS. I, personally, prefer my Rope Runner Pro, but climbing with a RADS is somewhat relaxing and effortless. It’s useless once you get into the canopy, though. I brought both of my lanyards up with me so that I could get to the top.

Finally, I decided to have a little fun with my basal anchor and make it the most ideal setup that I had the gear for with me. I’m sure most of you will recognize this setup. I even gave each individual component a uniquely colored carabiner with the idea being that, if a climber were injured but conscious and if the person on the ground were unfamiliar with how to operate the rescue 8/prusik combo, instead of using terminology that person may not understand, they could just refer to each piece by the color or the carabiner. Even the rescue 8 and hitch cord were uniquely colored and easily identifiable. Definitely overkill, but it was fun.

Sorry, I struggle to keep things short. Thanks for listening to me ramble. :boogie:

EDIT: I used a modified version of the DOUBLE CLOVE TRESSE (formerly the Tauntline Hitch, and before that the Double Clove VT) as the "third hand" on the basal anchor lowering system and I used the TRINITY hitch on one lanyard and the CALLIGRAPHY hitch on another. Every hitch functioned as intended. Although, the lowering system obviously was not used. However, I would put my life in that hithes...er...um...legs? Ha! Even though it seems like nobody is every going to start using one of my hitches, I'm still going to shamelessly advertise their greatness and advocate for their widespread adoption and use!
Looks like a lot to get tangled up in hanging from the saddle.

@Nutball It only looks that way because I had to haul up two lanyards and one I believe is 12' and the other is 15'. Once I got up into the canopy, I ditched my climb line and just used my lanyards. It was pretty painless overall because they were both always in use and the unused rope was daisy chained. Where I found myself having some trouble was when I came down from the top and switched back to the main line because I had both lanyards back on my harness and as I rappelled past branches, the lanyards wanted to go over the limbs I was trying to pass and so I had to pull it down once or twice.

It wasn't ideal, but the extra length helped me reach higher up TIP and there was much less disconnecting and reconnecting as I went up.

But yeah, ultimately, you're totally correct. They did get caught up.

A muddy day on the ROW this morning. At lunch I got pulled off to go take a tree out of a house. Took longer than it should have but I wasn’t with my normal crew. Two of the guys had never even seen a crane removal. Got home in time to leave for cub scouts. Just got settled in at the house and realized I haven’t eaten dinner yet. I might get to that after I shower.

Hubby to the Dr...treatment ongoing, slipped down to Hobart to Kings Trailers to pick up some new hinges for my truck tray.
I lost an altercation with a security fence, cut the corner and now I need new hinges.
Nice ending to the day on the way home, annual visit to the cherry farm for apricot ice cream and two kilos of fresh cherries 🍒🍒
Teaching rescue skills tomorrow for our rescue unit newbies. Ropes, knots, picket holdfast anchors and lift and lower stretcher on steep slopes. Z rigs and belay.

filled in a couple different forms for two govt agencies this morning.
I'm sure most here know that they work things a bit strangely & such. I can usually muddle through these fairly well, but today I had to call and explain that between my pounding head and the pills I'm on I needed talked through the form. :|: The lady was not happy sounding at first, but as I whizzed through my questions on the sections she started sounding a lot friendlier. :lol:

Needed to get on their website to turn in some proof of stuff...no dice. tried two different avenues 5 times each. New avenue to be taken in a little while here when I'm back in the mood.

I was down most of the afternoon not able to do much other than take the dog out a few times. Too much screen time I think.

Doing better now. Fiddled around a bit on some tunes, had a decent meal, & kinda settling in for the evening.

Hope y'all have a good night.
How is your eyeglass situation?

Could this be a contributing factor to the headache?

I got up this morning feeling pretty awful. I slept terribly for some reason. I procured some caffeine and spent some time catching up on various whatnot on the interwebs.

Today I had planned on filming a how-to video for the RADS (rapid ascent descent system), which many of you are likely familiar with. It has seen use in pretty much every discipline of climbing from rock climbing, to rescue, to caving and even tree climbing.

In my opinion, the RADS is a great place for beginner climbers to start. Despite the obnoxious changeover one must make in order to switch from ascent to descent arrangement, the mechanical advantage involved, as well as the aid of a foot loop (something simple to stand on) and hand ascender (something to grab that is natural feeling) add a sense of security on the way up. And then, when descending, using something like a GriGri is quite simple and foolproof.

I ended up going back to the same pine tree on the perimeter of my apartment complex’s property and pulled up a line. At one point, I did the same thing as the other day, where I went all the way up to the top of the tree, believing I was being filmed, only to discover that, although it was filming this time, I had forgotten to adjust the camera so that it would be pointing upward.

I decided not to let that ruin my day and moved the camera, clipped back in and did it all over again. It’s good exercise if nothing else.

I also managed to get sap on my rope which caused the rope to get semi-stuck in the cam of my GriGri every now and again. So, this time when it was time to rappel, I just got some momentum early on and just blasted right through the sap.

Anyways, my video came out great and my goal was to provide helpful education for the new climber, and even the experienced climber; anyone interested in the RADS. I, personally, prefer my Rope Runner Pro, but climbing with a RADS is somewhat relaxing and effortless. It’s useless once you get into the canopy, though. I brought both of my lanyards up with me so that I could get to the top.

Finally, I decided to have a little fun with my basal anchor and make it the most ideal setup that I had the gear for with me. I’m sure most of you will recognize this setup. I even gave each individual component a uniquely colored carabiner with the idea being that, if a climber were injured but conscious and if the person on the ground were unfamiliar with how to operate the rescue 8/prusik combo, instead of using terminology that person may not understand, they could just refer to each piece by the color of the carabiner. Even the rescue 8, sling and hitch cord were uniquely colored and easily identifiable. Definitely overkill, but it was fun.

Sorry, I struggle to keep things short. Thanks for listening to me ramble. :boogie:

EDIT: I used a modified version of the DOUBLE CLOVE TRESSE (formerly the Tauntline Hitch, and before that the Double Clove VT) as the "third hand" on the basal anchor lowering system and I used the TRINITY hitch on one lanyard and the CALLIGRAPHY hitch on another. Every hitch functioned as intended. Although, the lowering system obviously was not used. However, I would put my life in that hithes...er...um...legs? Ha! Even though it seems like nobody is ever going to start using one of my hitches, I'm still going to shamelessly advertise their greatness and advocate for their widespread adoption and use!
That base-tie is way, way over- complicated.

A couple trunk wraps and then tying it off with a bight is ezpz, no extra gear.

Macswan wtote an article a long time ago on TB, where I've seen you posting, as well. Check it out.

Release-able under load.

Rather than a screw- link, I use a bight with 3 half- hitches. Sometimes, I use the biner, that would otherwise be my termination biner, to clip the bight, post-half-hitching, back to itself. I don't need that biner with me when I have a base-tie.

1674835735648.png

@SeanKroll

Oh they are about 20 yrs old or so. :|: That entered my mind also a week or so ago.

I've never needed them for daily or distance and I use reading glasses for books & such.

I have been using them a bit on the computer to see if it made much of a difference but so far not one that's discernible, and it actually hurts where they make contact right now if I have them on for very long.

I have already decided on a new exam & pair this year though.

thanks for the thought!

@SeanKroll Oh, I definitely know. Don't go around thinking that's how Bioassay climbs, because it isn't (except the other day). I did that for the fun of it. Maybe I'm strange.

I usually use this system here minus the DDM Revolver on the AB. It's ultra sleek and simple and quick to boot...and releasable under tension! If you don't have a sewn eye, you can always just use a bight formed by a figure 8 on a bight.

Doesn't look releaseable under load, and needs 2-3 pieces of extra gear. You can cut it.

You have to attach another rope to lower, and have a way to add friction (probably trunk wraps).

Hubby to the Dr...treatment ongoing, slipped down to Hobart to Kings Trailers to pick up some new hinges for my truck tray.
I lost an altercation with a security fence, cut the corner and now I need new hinges.
Nice ending to the day on the way home, annual visit to the cherry farm for apricot ice cream and two kilos of fresh cherries 🍒🍒
Teaching rescue skills tomorrow for our rescue unit newbies. Ropes, knots, picket holdfast anchors and lift and lower stretcher on steep slopes. Z rigs and belay.
Fi, that was the post that really hit me about how far from each other, we really are.

Fresh cherries, indeed!

@SeanKroll It takes a little bit of effort, but all you have to do is remove the carabiner. I tested it with my own body weight (with a second rope connected to the Alpine Butterfly ready to catch me) because I, too, was skeptical at first.

Having said that, I do like the anchor you showed. Wouldn't you have to fight the carabiner end of the rope (without carabiner attached) through all of the wraps you made under the tree before you would be able to lower the climber?

The beams have specified grade points on them. In this case, there were 8 spaces per spanx3 spans. They need to know what the actual elevation is at those points. That'll tell them how high to put the deck pans, allowing for sag when loaded with concrete. If everyone did their job right, the finished top concrete will be evenly sloped without weirdness like bellies or bulges in the deck.

You ever drive a bridge that feels like you're riding ocean waves? That was either a screwup in original design/layout/or steel fabrication, or possibly a rehab where they stripped the deck off, kept the beams, and installed a new deck. I've never seen those turn out nice, and some have been truly horrible. It's usually on a ~50 year old bridge that had inferior steel anyway, and they're trying to make it right guessing at the steel properties, and it never turns out right. There may be some exceptionally long bridges where it's worth saving the cost of new steel, but for highway stuff? C'mon. Just spend the money, do it right, and everyone will have a nice bridge for decades to come.

Pruned some fruit trees for a regular. Milled a bit. Cut and stacked a big double-wheel wheelbarrow load of mill slab firewood (no splitting needed!). Planed some getting-soft, burly maple that got lost under a tree out in the work yard. Figured wood needs considerable sanding after planing, due to the irregular grain. Soft wood seems to need a good bit, too.

Literally, on the ground... 20230127_192531.jpg 20230127_192526.jpg 20230127_192510.jpg 20230127_192505.jpg

This is wet from washing the soft planer dust. The good figure in maple is mostly in the outer rind.

I have a bunch off the ground. Had it for years. Been meaning to do something with it. Now that I have the mill set up, I will.

That was the typo of the year!!! Hardening oil of course!!!

Get some cellulose lacquer, add a thinner about 50/50 and soak the wood in it.
Let it harden up, and repeat.
After 2-3 applications, you should have i solid surface to work with.

Old woodturner's trick.

Back