How'd it go today?

@BlackSmith I'm just curious. How do you go about removing the condensate from long lengths of large diameter piping like that? Or is the system already built to collect condensate in a specific portion of the system e.g. a collection vessel every few (insert variable value here) feet of piping?

@BlackSmith I'm just curious. How do you go about removing the condensate from long lengths of large diameter piping like that? Or is the system already built to collect condensate in a specific portion of the system e.g. a collection vessel every few (insert variable value here) feet of piping?

Gravity, pumps, returns to boiler to be recooked.

Cold actually. We’re gonna remove the steam, condensate and potable lines. A 10” sch 80, a 8” sch 40, a 8” ductile, a 4” copper and a 2” stainless. 1800’ of each. Ventilation fans pulling cold air in so we won’t go nite nite.
Remove and replace?

Nice of them to use fitters to demo, around here that's technically laborers work since you're not putting new back in. You gonna get to score any of the scrap?

@Bioassay I used the wrong word with 'moot', fair enough.
When I had a bad cut (Silky bite) indeed I applied a dressing, unclipped my lanyard and came down on my own using one hand. That is the ideal rescue, if possible and practical given the situation and injury, to coach an conscious patient down on their own intact system.
I do tie my base tie to be lowerable, but with the most simple setup possible. As you say, why wouldn't you, agreed.
However, it's not the main reason I use base tie.

Today was was mostly horrible and so was yesterday.

I recently began a new medication and so far I am not tolerating it well. I take a number of other medications and I believe there might be some kind of interaction. I've spent an unnatural amount of time in bed over the last 48 hours.

I was able to edit a series of video files of me demonstrating a series of simple and complex pulley systems for a YouTube video on hauling loads using mechanical advantage. Everything from 2:1 to 11:1, including some piggybacks, and all of them with a prusik based progress capture element.

I ended my video with a series of helpful tips that aren't often discussed in videos about pulley systems such as the use of a belay/descender device on one's harness to take up slack as the load is lifted, allowing for a redundancy and the ability to lower the load with greater ease and control than with a prusik. Another was the benefit of investing into rigging plates to help orient and space out one's pulleys. There were others.

I also walked to the store to get various whatnot; mostly an assortment of drinks. I ended up ordering from Taco Bell via Uber Eats, which briefly turned my frown upside down. Finally, I manged to piss off my girlfriend...again...and I'm not entirely sure I deserve the heat that I'm currently receiving.

Oh well, I've navigated through far worses. I'll just be apologetic and receptive and understanding and, instead of arguing, I'll take the hit, accept the guilty charge, and accerlate the progression towards better times for our relationship. Conflict resolution for relationships is one of the few areas in life where losing can be winning.

Just hung up from a great phone conversation with an old friend. We've been we've been good buddies since we first met when we were 15 yrs old. Been in several bands together over the years and we both played for his dad for a while beck in the day.

He's fighting stage 4 lung cancer right now, but was having a "good" day. We haven't talked since thanksgiving & spent maybe 40 minutes on the phone. Sure glad I gave him a ring.

Having a pretty fair day myself. Been taking it easy and getting some sleep in little spats. I never seem to be able to get more than 1 1/2 hr of snoozing in at a time. I'm just happy to feel somewhat more functional than I have been the last two days.

Not much else going on here ATM.

Kinda boring day. More right of way clearing. Got started into the allotment area of this pipeline. Oh the joys of dealing with property owners.
After work I went and worked at the bosses pet project barn. He’s redoing an old bank barn to turn it into a venue. I helped the carpenter with sister if the existing joists and getting the starter row of flooring down. Carpentry is something I know enough about to be a good hand with and the boss gave me the go for all the hours I want. Plus I’m learning and doing something other than cutting trees.
Mini is still down. Still waiting on the mechanic to double check if it’s getting a new pump or just a control valve.

Are wedding barns big up your way Rich? That's the new(ish) hotness around here. Might have leveled out some recently, but they were really big a few years ago.

Back