How'd it go today?

Absolutely.
But most woodturners don't have the access to fine wood that us tree folks do, hence the method.

I've only ever used it once. that was on some very brittle Old growth redwood that I shipped home from Arcata in 1989 and eventually made 3 matching sets of pepper/salt grinders out of, for the team that was climbing those trees with me in 2009.
Unique wood, but almost impossible to work with.
I think that log must have hit a stump. There was just so much internal micro fracturing.
Sealing sander saved it!

My 10 yr old and I climbed one of our backyard poplars. He broke a personal height record.

A neighbor has a 5” dia tree that he will drop tomorrow using the 18v Makita. He’s had some practice with it.

Looked at and secured a cleanup job. Massive oak blowdown. We’re going to buck it to firewood lengths for the homeowner to split and burn.

Attachments

• 9345EF71-F19E-4686-8EB9-BDF77892F638.jpeg
    9345EF71-F19E-4686-8EB9-BDF77892F638.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • A969A1D6-36C4-44BF-B747-D8257F984B45.jpeg
    A969A1D6-36C4-44BF-B747-D8257F984B45.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • EAC9E4BD-D758-4D6B-BE14-7CD9F72562CE.jpeg
    EAC9E4BD-D758-4D6B-BE14-7CD9F72562CE.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • C1B3F137-0585-4F35-868A-B45B4B83ADDC.jpeg
    C1B3F137-0585-4F35-868A-B45B4B83ADDC.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 19D8D6E8-5979-4F71-9C18-A19B20C6C85B.jpeg
    19D8D6E8-5979-4F71-9C18-A19B20C6C85B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 5B7CB605-8F12-423A-ACA1-22B2823A35B1.jpeg
    5B7CB605-8F12-423A-ACA1-22B2823A35B1.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 3F02A413-5080-41A0-8E03-C92E27CBAF4A.jpeg
    3F02A413-5080-41A0-8E03-C92E27CBAF4A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
Best day in a while for me.
Felt pretty well all day, managed ~8 hrs of sleep overall in 1.5 hr spans. I needed it bad, been averaging 1.5 hrs per day since I got home from the hosp.
Have about 20 pages of journal for the Doc to read through so far. Keeping track of food, meds, pains, sleep, activity, etc.

side Note: I've cut my smoking by ~85 % and coffee consumption by 1/3 so far since back home.

Last edited:
Tore down an old bank barn today. Was able to salvage most of the big timbers and floor joists. Some of the diagonal bracing survived. Siding, floor, and roof joists didn’t fare so well. Don’t give me an excavator if you want all the wood saved😆.
Put a new drive motor on the mini skid. I’m pissed because that thousand dollar part wasn’t the issue. Right side drive pump is bad. The book shows that the pumps aren’t sold separately so it looks like a lot of money. I couldn’t find an ID tag with a manufacturer name ( Vermeer does a good job of not disclosing this) so it’s gonna be a tough search for a new one until Vermeer opens Monday morning.

And then on my way home I received the news that an ex co-worker is on life support. Looks like it’s only to harvest organs. He got into drugs pretty bad for the last two years. I’m assuming that the three to the head was related. Been a rough week.

Tore down an old bank barn today. Was able to salvage most of the big timbers and floor joists. Some of the diagonal bracing survived. Siding, floor, and roof joists didn’t fare so well. Don’t give me an excavator if you want all the wood saved😆.
Put a new drive motor on the mini skid. I’m pissed because that thousand dollar part wasn’t the issue. Right side drive pump is bad. The book shows that the pumps aren’t sold separately so it looks like a lot of money. I couldn’t find an ID tag with a manufacturer name ( Vermeer does a good job of not disclosing this) so it’s gonna be a tough search for a new one until Vermeer opens Monday morning.

And then on my way home I received the news that an ex co-worker is on life support. Looks like it’s only to harvest organs. He got into drugs pretty bad for the last two years. I’m assuming that the three to the head was related. Been a rough week.
Danfoss is a name I have found associated with Hydro parts on my s800tx.

I got a 100$ traffic ticket from Hungary today.
I have been driving on the freeway without a valid sticker last summer.
All documented by a fine photo of me on the bike.

I guess the excuse: " I didn't know I was in Hungary" isn't valid.

My GPS took me across the border without informing me about it.
:|:

I’ve had it for a while. At least three years. I use it a lot and really like it.
I got this as a Christmas gift two years ago for my camper
With a two burner griddle. I have a few weights and lids that I use for both. I can cook a lot of food in a hurry.
Edit: I believe CV gave me some input years ago when I was thinking of buying it. I also think FFZ has the same one as I do for my camper. I highly recommend camp chef.

Look at the tupperware salt and pepper shakers...lordy, the archaeologists will be digging them up all over the place 1000 years hence. Seems like they've been around for ever.
I used to get into trouble opening the top incorrectly and popping off the little tabs so mum would have to buy new flip-tops.
They were the best on the boat though, chuck a bit of rice in with the salt and they were great at resisting the humidity.

@SeanKroll It takes a little bit of effort, but all you have to do is remove the carabiner. I tested it with my own body weight (with a second rope connected to the Alpine Butterfly ready to catch me) because I, too, was skeptical at first.

Having said that, I do like the anchor you showed. Wouldn't you have to fight the carabiner end of the rope (without carabiner attached) through all of the wraps you made under the tree before you would be able to lower the climber?
That is an internet picture.

I generally just wrap a few times downward, finishing upward, and use a bight for a couple half-hitches. I'll have to get a picture, possibly tomorrow.

Queries from an SRT virgin:

So ideally, an SRT base tie would be secured in a way that can be unfastened under load and have enough of a tail that the climber can be lowered all the way to the ground?

As opposed to an anchor at the top of the climbline that offers no advantages in a rescue situation.

That being said if the unconscious climber has a lanyard around the tree as well as a base tie then somebody is still going up to get him.

You've hit the nail on the head. The lanyard renders all the lowerable stuff moot.
I base tie, not with the expectation that I can be rescued from the ground but because I prefer it for the work that I do and the trees I have.
It's a nice 'by the way' but not the principle reason I use it.
I canopy tie when conditions warrant.

Queries from an SRT virgin:

So ideally, an SRT base tie would be secured in a way that can be unfastened under load and have enough of a tail that the climber can be lowered all the way to the ground?

As opposed to an anchor at the top of the climbline that offers no advantages in a rescue situation.

That being said if the unconscious climber has a lanyard around the tree as well as a base tie then somebody is still going up to get him.
One person lowering the climber while another climber assists the climber down would be the best, if the climber can't make it down safely on their own. A base-tie lowering system being able to get a climber down unassisted is a best case scenario.

Getting a climber to the ground asap is not always the best thing. Getting them down without further injury is the best thing. Beating up a broken arm while profusely bleeding is one thing; beating up a broken vertebra without bleeding is another. Stabilizing a potential cervical vertebra injury before getting them down might be the best thing in a non-clear vertical lowering scenario (i.e.lots of limbs in the way).

Been kind of a rough day, but muddling through it.

About all I managed to do was to get to the mailbox, sign a couple forms, and set them back in the box. that and go out with the dog a couple short times. I don't think he minded...a bit cold out today.

Dropped a few big trees in the past couple days. Some hard lean to overcome on the oak stump. The maple was a gusher. Explained included bark and side growth (hips) to a client using their tree as a demo

Attachments

• 20230130_113450.jpg
    20230130_113450.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230130_113432.jpg
    20230130_113432.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230129_160248.jpg
    20230129_160248.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
Fiddler... Sometimes just a little bit is good enough. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for you.

Patrick... Did the water stink in the maple? So far I've been lucky, and haven't gotten one that sprayed. I've had some run pretty fast though.

My day was a bit of a pissoff. On a new noisewall job, and you can't hear anything over I95. No place to park, and you can't move cause only the shoulder's open. Had to get the truck pulled out of the mud cause 4x4 doesn't work. That's what really pissed me off. Broke a tape throwing it at the truck. That's the kind of shit I'll quit over. 2wd vehicles are unsuited to my work, and I'm friggin' done with them. I spent too many years driving a POS HVAC vans, getting stuck, and going on long hikes to get where I need to be. It's bullshit...

Got my wesspur order today. Just a bunch of little stuff. I slacked on ordering the 68' ⅝" treemaster, and a 31' piece appeared, which is closer to what I really wanted. Jumped on that, and ordered enough other stuff for free shipping. I spliced the treemaster tonight, and screwed it up. I got off track somehow, and it's kinda ugly, and not spliced right. It's sufficient for a flipline, but I wouldn't make any bets on it holding close to the rope's breaking strength like it should be.

You've hit the nail on the head. The lanyard renders all the lowerable stuff moot.
I base tie, not with the expectation that I can be rescued from the ground but because I prefer it for the work that I do and the trees I have.
It's a nice 'by the way' but not the principle reason I use it.
I canopy tie when conditions warrant.
I would definitely agree that a lowerable basal anchor could be nullified by a climber's lanyard, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say that such a situation renders the tying of such an anchor "moot."

I'm willing to wager that a statistically significant number of accidents in the canopy occur with individuals who are still fully conscious, but who are injured enough to where they cannot climb down and descend a rope themselves. Such an individual might be fully capable of disconnecting their lanyard. Even if they incurred a serious injury to one of their hands, so long as they haven't gone into shock, they could use their other hand to undo the lanyard. Anyone who has climbed (regularly) for around 6 months or longer can almost always use even their non-dominant hand to open even triple action carabiners.

So even though not every emergency situation at height will allow for quick descent via lowerable basal anchor, why wouldn't you want to have that option available to you in the event that you just so happen to be fortunate enough to be party to an emergency for which a lowerable basal anchor might save your life?

I'm not trying to be Captain Safety over here, and I'm not going to claim that I always use lowerable anchors. But when I'm not using a lowerable system, it's because I'm rec climbing and I don't have a gas operated, toothed limb amputator (chainsaw) on my harness. Every time that I've climbed SRT with a saw and a basal anchor, that mofo was lowerable.

It might take up a little extra time and you might become jaded because use never end up using it, but isn't that the point? I'd rather waste my time taking extra safety precautions that I never end up using (aka a successful climb) than know I could benefit from taking that extra time to be more safe and not do it because it takes an additional 10 minutes of my time. I see those 10 minutes as an investment into my future and welfare and I'm bullish on lowerable basal anchors. =-D

Back