How'd it go today?

The new Rheem has a 3 year labor and 12 year parts warrantee. Best on the market. That makes me feel a bit better about expected longevity issues.

I'm absolutely dreading the day I need a new fridge. Mine's an old Monkey Wards model from the 80s I think. It has two numbered knobs, one for the fridge, and one for the freezer. It also has an ice maker I disconnected. I don't want anything fancier than two numbered knobs. I don't care what the actual temperature is, I don't want ice, and I definitely don't want it network connected. I simply want a box that gets cold, and won't require anything from me for decades. I don't think those are made anymore.

Been on the interwebs a bunch over the last 24 hours, finding out about what's available as replacement for our 34 year old electric hot water heater.
34 years is amazing... I've never had one last more than 10 years. In fact I need to order a new one now. Probably a Rheem hybrid heat pump version.

I had my water heater(gas) replaced in 2018 I think. The old heater was last /serviced/ in 1977. Not sure when it was installed. It was older than the guy putting in the new one :^D

I wouldn’t suggest the hybrid. Many reasons: cost, the cooling effect on the air around it (bad for Alaska), need to discharge condensate to appropriate place, the cuft of air space they require, filter cleaning, so much tech makes for more break downs.

Average life for a water heater is 10-12 yrs now. Theoretically, if you replace the sacrificial anode rod every 8 years, the tank may last indefinitely. Only the controls would go bad- gas valve and thermocouple or elements and thermostats for gas or electric respectively.

May I suggest if doing a heater, put it in a fairly large pan as dictated by space, pipe the pan to a condensate drain or sump pump, and install a cheap leak alarm (buzzes when wet or the fancier ones send a message to your phone)

I finally got around to getting the 395xp I ported back together for a test run after what feels like, and may be, a year. I thought I had a grabby chain on it, and was running a larger sprocket, but only cutting 20" Ash. I can't say it was slow, but it just acted weird, like as if the chain wasn't aggressive enough and like it was only running 9000rpm. I later found out it was cutting at 12,000rpm most of the time like it had way more power than it needs to cut 20" of hard wood. I'm glad it's not a Stihl which would make that annoying sound of bouncing off the rev limiter. Probably pushing 10hp.

DSC02272 (1255x1280).jpg

Last edited:
went to urgent care this am for my elbow
said it's Olecranon bursitis and should be drained
sent me across town to second place and made appointment to get it done in 2 hrs
got call in an hour later while waiting in p-lot and was told they would not do it there
sent me back across town to my primary care...no happiness there, but another referral
now back home waiting for call from fourth place
pain is getting worse as the day progresses
typing w/one hand sucks :|:

Last edited:
Taking the day off.

This week was nothing special. Happy, friendly customers... neighbors to another customer, and a future customer.

Couple basic removals, only one climbed.

The future customer had a 140' dead doug-fir. No clean up, forested area. Basic, just will need a bigger saw toward the bottom.

Sorry about your run around with the docs Dave. Guess you’re just supposed to live in pain while they sick around.

Spent the day in classes and walking the floor. Made some connections. Heard a rumor that the elusive Reg has come out of hiding but I have not crossed paths with him yet. Really hoping if he’s here I will get to shake his hand again. Gave Jamie Merrit his prototype back finally. Also I got to meet The female lumberjack , Felixia.
Now it’s time to go out and have some fun

Fiddler, what about the good ol ER?

Doubt they'd take me after 3 docs in the same system already said it's not urgent. ah well, like my sister tells her kid "sometimes you just have to put on your man-pants" :lol:

Couple hours on ice then ace bandage & some pills, not using it and feeling a bit more comfortable now.

the big trick seems to be in the wrap being right...took about four tries.
massaging it just right seems to help a lot also.

Went to the hardware and bought a pair of boots w/zippers that I can put on with one hand. $50 & needed a pair of slip-oms for winter anyway.

Now I just have to figure out how to a pancake with my right hand...:O

Took down 4 burnt pines next to a house, service, and well house. Lowered one out, Gin pole the logs. Then slash and throw two and then barber pole the 4th. Lay the logs flat reduced to fit. Drop the 20 foot sticks out of lean. HO helped by backing his dump truck up to the trees for me to throw them into. 5 hours outtie. He'll finish the clean up.
Bummer on the carbon fibre gaffs though :(

Split on me just before I was going to throw logs. Had to come back down and put my Bashlins on. 20221112_131445.jpg

Back