How'd it go today?

Some of the local outfits ran an EAB consultation push a few years back. I don't know if they were charging for "assessments" or fear mongering removals but afaik the borer never made it. There's enough American Elms marked for death though.

Had a good day at work. Our apprentice was with me and we had 3 jobs presold and just blew them out. It’s rare that I get the apprentice even though I brought him on board and he’s part of my extended family. The golden child usually ends up with the help. It’s a sore subject between the other 3 plumbers that aren’t gifted the silver spoon. I can get resentful if not careful

I removed many dead limbs from a neighbors pin oak upon returning home from work. Those things are a pain to get a line set in due to the sheer number of sticks. The tree almost had whirls, especially the lower half. It reminds me of a white pine.

Pin oaks are a huge hassle. Trying to get yourself through thick clumps of branches, and they HATE giving up their dead! Try to toss a branch out, and it gets stuck Every. Single. Time...

They are a pain. The wood is fairly tough. I took out the 3 lower “whirls” that were crispy. We’ll see if it leaves out next year. The upper canopy was living. No visible signs of stress or disease. If it dies it’ll be brought down.

Pin oaks seem to have higher than average "branch die off". It's like they're constantly killing branches off and growing new ones. I assume it's a characteristic of the species. Doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with yours, but it might be normal.

Thanks Pat. The one I trimmed looks like your photo. The bottom limbs were dead and hanging. I performed a proper removal of those limbs. I’m very appreciative of you and John sharing that information. There were many little brittle dead twigs and hangers throughout the canopy as well that had to be removed.

Edit: Now it seems the tree is healthy and doing what pin oaks do. Glad it’s not in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Customer 2 hours late to our days start. Finally get started.. get our day in. Jet home after picking up Lilly to try and install the new hydro pump in the Dingo. Housing outlets are 180* out. Wont fit. So I called. They think they can flip it for me while I wait.
So I get to set up the crew tomorrow, jet 2 hours down, wait, then two hours back, hopefully in time to get Lilly (who I am dragging with me) back in time for a 2 pm appointment. :|:

Been on the interwebs a bunch over the last 24 hours, finding out about what's available as replacement for our 34 year old electric hot water heater. Picked a high end Rheem model out, ordered it online at Home Depot, and picked it up today. Fortunately, it's just a very slow leak, so far.

Removal of old and install of new will probably be tomorrow afternoon, or more likely the day after; I have a few bits and bobs ordered for home delivery to modify the old connections to fit the new unit that are supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I rather doubt it will be early enough to do the whole project.

It is an easy enough job...he says now :D.

Been on the interwebs a bunch over the last 24 hours, finding out about what's available as replacement for our 34 year old electric hot water heater. Picked a high end Rheem model out, ordered it online at Home Depot, and picked it up today. Fortunately, it's just a very slow leak, so far.

Removal of old and install of new will probably be tomorrow afternoon, or more likely the day after; I have a few bits and bobs ordered for home delivery to modify the old connections to fit the new unit that are supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I rather doubt it will be early enough to do the whole project.

It is an easy enough job...he says now :D.
Tell you what Burnam. Be glad you're not in CA. They require a 350.00 permit now and you're supposed to hire a licensed contractor to install.
No, not going to comply.

Me too, John. Major appliances are not built to last very long these days. A couple of years ago we had to replace our 36 year old refrigerator that had become unstable at maintaining temp. The salesman told us to not expect much more that 10 or 12 years from our new one.

Back