How'd it go today?

John and Pat can over to help me take down my 130’+ tulip poplar- all rigged. They were patient with me and didn’t fall asleep between cuts (thanks guys!) Many personal records were broken on this tree. My top handle kinda got broken as well (just a little- slightly bent bar and a housing crack) as it fell from 100’. I decided to loose the saw lanyard as I’ve NEVER needed to use it since I’ve been cutting and it’s just an extra entanglement. Of course 20 min into the job after lunch, I missed the porter. 🤷‍♂️😩

Attachments

• 128BECC2-BE57-423D-B61A-86AF70360250.jpeg
    128BECC2-BE57-423D-B61A-86AF70360250.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 6123CFB5-C602-41FD-B49D-C684DC29603C.jpeg
    6123CFB5-C602-41FD-B49D-C684DC29603C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Been on the interwebs a bunch over the last 24 hours, finding out about what's available as replacement for our 34 year old electric hot water heater. Picked a high end Rheem model out, ordered it online at Home Depot, and picked it up today. Fortunately, it's just a very slow leak, so far.

Removal of old and install of new will probably be tomorrow afternoon, or more likely the day after; I have a few bits and bobs ordered for home delivery to modify the old connections to fit the new unit that are supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I rather doubt it will be early enough to do the whole project.

It is an easy enough job...he says now :D.
It's not officially a 'project' until you make your third trip to the hardware store/ Home Depot. Good luck!

I finally got around to getting the 395xp I ported back together for a test run after what feels like, and may be, a year. I thought I had a grabby chain on it, and was running a larger sprocket, but only cutting 20" Ash. I can't say it was slow, but it just acted weird, like as if the chain wasn't aggressive enough and like it was only running 9000rpm. I later found out it was cutting at 12,000rpm most of the time like it had way more power than it needs to cut 20" of hard wood. I'm glad it's not a Stihl which would make that annoying sound of bouncing off the rev limiter. Probably pushing 10hp.

View attachment 124686
How much for the saw? No, I don't need it but I miss my ported 395.

I’ve been checking out the treebuzz lately…. Whole different vibe over there…
seems like some smart tree people but just not much flow or chat…. Seems like a stiff spot.

I saw Jonny over there… but knot here much anymore… alas.

It's not officially a 'project' until you make your third trip to the hardware store/ Home Depot. Good luck!
Then it's official :D.
1) pick up water heater at Home Depot; 50 mile round trip
2) locate difficult to find (supply chain issues, they said) pressure relief exhaust pipe connection; pick up at Lowes; 50 mile round trip
and 3) expected reuse of hot water out flex connector didn't pan out, so located a much harder to find replacement without 3 to 5 day shipping that required a 100 mile round trip to an Ace Hardware store in Newberg, OR that surprisingly had one in stock. Nice folks there, held it for me on a phone request with just my first name as ID and security.

Hot water on tap this morning, as planned :).

Anyone have any living ash trees in their areas?
I only know what a dead one looks like😔

We still have some here. My ex has 2 90+ fotters that we treated 2x already; no borer damage on either. My brother's condo complex treated over 60 of them 3 years ago; still 58 with us and mostly all healthy. I know of a few others, but most are dead/declining majorly.

So. Hydro pump out again this morning and it obviously lost the shaft seal in the front. I doubt there is an issue with the hydraulics in the machine causing it. Was working on the old pump prior to the pulley getting buggered and ruin it's seal.
SO I am betting, when they pulled the pump apart and reset the port orientation, they must have messed up the seal. :dontknow: Going back to Fresno Monday. Lets hope they have a seal and can fix it while I wait. This trip makes for 16 road hours to deal with the issue.

Today also got the rebuilt computers installed in the diesel and the 7.3 came back to life. Drove around a bit. Seems solid. Afraid to jinx it. Took Paisley for a ride since her ride time deteriorated from lack of a vehicle. Dog was in seventh heaven all morning. Praying this holds. Hopefully my other motor will be back soon. Have my truck redundancy back.

Spent today resting up from the EXPO. The drive back home yesterday wore me out. I bumped into @Page Friday night. He was in good spirits. Busy with life and forgets to get on his computer once in a while. Said hi to Bonner. Spoke with Nice Guy Dave for a bit. August remembered me. Somehow I missed Kevin Bingham. Unfortunately my desperate search for the elusive recluse, Reg, came up fruitless. All in all it was a good trip.

Back