How'd it go today?

I was given a used electric water heater this summer to run in place of my oil furnace. It was working, but for how long, I wasn't willing to bet on. Got a replacement owb instead.

My banjo playing days were cut short about 8-10 years ago. Tendon issues in right hand.

I normally play fiddle several hours a day, but can't get left arm bent enough to hold & finger it right now. Same with guitar.

So today I hit the 20 hours of driving mark for the hydro pump. No seal in stock that fits. So they are ordering the seal. Asked them if they had frequent flier miles. They told me they'll ship the pump when done.
Figure that makes it at least a week or two out.
Came back up the hill and hit the phone after making calls last night and this morning advising clients and crew what might happen and formulate a back up plane.
The job we are currently on needs hydraulics to finish. Logs need decked 60 plus feet over from the drive way. Wanted it done before Thanksgiving. Called a sub Ive used before. Looks like him, his skid steer and Rob will get that done Wed. and forward the rest of the brush for a quick chipping party. Will still fit into the remainder of the bid. Met him and client at property and got that lined up. Hit the carwash with my buddies truck so I can get that back to him and topped off his tank.

Diesel seems to be functioning after a few local test drives. New computers seem to have done the trick. C rossing fingers and trying not to jinx it. So far so good. Off to work tomorrow loaded and pulling empty trailer leveling up the test. Slid this client forward to fill in tractorless work. Pines to kill.

Last edited:
Boring day. Finished by helping the boss seed/mulch some topsoil piles. Got my first fire of the season going. It was 54° in the house when I got home, and the rain made it feel damp, so I figured I'd burn awhile. Feels good :^)

I was thinking “John must be very delighted with this weather” when the thermometer read 29* in the work truck this morning.

Yesterday I felt sick throughout work and by evening had 102 deg fever. It was gone this morning so I went to work. Feel fine now. My youngest had to stay home from school today because of it.

Glad that was quick. Wonder what it was?
I thought it was what you, my wife and son had because it started with the scratchy throat and cough. Mostly my stomach hurt without any effects from it and absolutely no appetite. Very fatigued. I’m grateful it isn’t the month long thing. My wife still sounds bad in the morning regarding coughing. Are you still getting better every day John ?

Very incrementally, but with sporadic coughing fits. My back doesn't hurt as much from coughing, but my abs are still sore. They've been getting a workout :^D

Did some trouble shooting with the crane. Toward the end of yesterday my boom length readings were off by a large amount. Since the mechanic couldn’t make it today, I had to try to diagnose for him. Most likely an o-ring or a pot(?) he says. I then put the oil cooler back in the mini skid. Replaced a cylinder that got dinged as well. To finish off I scouted out the job for tomorrow after the crane gets fixed. Pretty easy. Two trees and two set ups.

Dry, crisp day. Basic, little removal and pruning work. EHS/ wedge-grips to replace old Cobra cables, another day.

Walked for an hour midday with my GF around town.

Shopped for trailer wires, and odds and ends. Fueled up the truck and saw gas.

Grocery shopping.

Currently about to put together a pizza while surfing the TH.

See the GF later.

Did some trouble shooting with the crane. Toward the end of yesterday my boom length readings were off by a large amount. Since the mechanic couldn’t make it today, I had to try to diagnose for him. Most likely an o-ring or a pot(?) he says. I then put the oil cooler back in the mini skid. Replaced a cylinder that got dinged as well. To finish off I scouted out the job for tomorrow after the crane gets fixed. Pretty easy. Two trees and two set ups.
Why is it always some lame little part like an o-ring that makes drama?.

Back